Willem Dafoe.

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 24, 2004, 11:11:34 PM

NEON MERCURY

...i have always like this guy...he has that likeable onnscreen presence like del toro , penn, crudup, ruffalo......

he's obviously very talented....and here some of my fav films that he apppears in

..OUATIM
4th of july
platoon
afliction
shadow of the vampire
american psycho
nnemo........spider-man....clear & present dannger.....

and he's in the aquatic life ..and the aviator.....

but nothings better than his performance of Bobby Peru in lynch's wild at heart..that trips me out.....in a lynch film.......

do you like him or do you not like him or _____________?

MacGuffin

Wow, how could you not mention "Last Temptation Of Christ"? That could be his finest performance.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinWow, how could you not mention "Last Temptation Of Christ"? That could be his finest performance.

.... :oops: i have never seen it..... :oops:

Weak2ndAct

Two of my fave Dafoe appearances: 'To Live and Die in LA' and his guest spot on 'Fishing with John.'  Willem's the man, I wish he would get more work.

Gloria

I thought he was awesome in Boondock Saints.  That role was just made for him. He was also very good in Auto Focus....though his performance is overshadowed by Greg Kinnear's.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GloriaI thought he was awesome in Boondock Saints.  That role was just made for him.
I wholeheartedly second that... what a jawdropping performance.

SoNowThen

He owned Autofocus.
Definitely Last Temptation.

But, weak2nd, why To Live And Die?? Why does everyone love him in that? It seems like he's playing standard badguy...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: SoNowThenBut, weak2nd, why To Live And Die?? Why does everyone love him in that? It seems like he's playing standard badguy...
Perhaps it's the burning of paintings, I don't know.  I saw that movie when I was a wee lad and his role stuck with me.  It was one of the first times a villain in a movie seemed like more than a guy who was just a foil for the lead, and felt like a real person.

MacGuffin

Willem Dafoe Joins XXX: State of the Union
Source: Variety

Willem Dafoe has joined the cast of Revolution Studios' sequel XXX: State of the Union, which Lee Tamahori begins filming this summer. Dafoe will play George Deckert, a five-star general and secretary of defense.

In the XXX sequel, Ice Cube stars as Darius Stone, a new XXX agent embroiled in thwarting a political power struggle in the nation's capital. Samuel L. Jackson returns as National Security Agency agent Augustus Gibbons.

Tamahori ("Die Another Day") begins production on the film in July, around Los Angeles, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., directing from a script by Simon Kinberg. The movie is scheduled for release on May 13, 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

more pirate movies and less xtreme movies please.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Dafoe wakes for Uni satire 'Dreamz'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Willem Dafoe is set to join Hugh Grant, Dennis Quaid and Mandy Moore in the social satire "American Dreamz" for Universal Pictures. Dafoe will play the role of vice president Sutter. Paul Weitz will direct and will produce with his brother Chris Weitz and their producing partner Andrew Miano through their Depth of Field banner. Paul Weitz penned the script for "Dreamz," which is described as a satire of American politics and show business. Also producing is Rod Liber.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

The title made me think it was the 4th in the American Pie series.

Reinhold

i loved willem dafoe in boondock saints. i was talking about that movie the other day at work when this guy comes in and drops a bunch of stuff off on the checkin section of the circulation desk. at a glance, i thought he was willem dafoe. it was kind of funny, so i started to tell him about it. the more he talked, the more he looked like willem dafoe even though it was not actually him. i asked him if he'd seen much of dafoe's work, and he kinda laughed. he pointed to the stack of dvd's he had just turned in... platoon and last temptation were in there.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

uh.. u liked boondock saints?
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

yes i did. for what it was, it was a great movie.

and i liked willem dafoe in it.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.