annoying people that don't watch movies

Started by Tiff, April 19, 2003, 05:50:46 AM

Tiff

doesn't it piss you off like hell when you're closely related to people that regard movies as only entertainment and don't see the art in film? I swear i'm gonna go insane  :twisted:
"Shut the fuck up!"

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Tiffdoesn't it piss you off like hell when you're closely related to people that regard movies as only entertainment and don't see the art in film? I swear i'm gonna go insane  :twisted:

Well, I'm not going insane, but i know what you mean. It really pisses me of too. I tryin' to stop beatin' people up just because they say Big Lebowski isn't fun. Arghhh!!!  :shock:   :shock:

Pedro

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Tiffdoesn't it piss you off like hell when you're closely related to people that regard movies as only entertainment and don't see the art in film? I swear i'm gonna go insane  :twisted:

BOO HOO. all movies are entertainment,  you wouldn't watch them if they weren't.

(WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY) entertain:vt. to cherish, to treat with conversation; to please, to admit; with a view to consider.

(WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY) art: n. practical skill; a system of rules for certain actions, cunning; profession of a painter,etc

i guess your too much of an artist to cherish a film. films are entertainment, not art -- they always have been. yes, to make a film you have to be artful and master a certain craft, but the final film is entertainment. since roman times, story tellers have always been considered entertainers not artists.
...your excuses are your own...

xerxes

cowboykurtis

Quote from: xerxesit can't be both???

it can be whatever you want it to be. i just think theres a bad stigma behind the word entertainment. many think that film is this serious art form that "common folk" have raped and turned into entertianment. i think this is a poor attitude. i think many films are shit today becuase they are not entertaining. it all depends what entertains you. if you find magnolia entertaining, watch magnolia, if you find bullet proof monk entertaining, watch that.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: xerxesit can't be both???

no.......... :shock:

Pubrick

i foresee a lame debate.

lemme save u the time.. movies can be both entertainment and art. eg. Singin' in the Rain.

they can be just really entertaining and become a thing of beauty, eg. Wizard of Oz.

they can be arty to the max and entertain/hypnotise ppl just by sheer brilliance of artistry, eg. 2001.

and as a bonus boring-debate defuser: the commercialization of christmas is at best a mixed blessing.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pi foresee a lame debate.

lemme save u the time.. movies can be both entertainment and art. eg. Singin' in the Rain.

they can be just really entertaining and become a thing of beauty, eg. Wizard of Oz.

they can be arty to the max and entertain/hypnotise ppl just by sheer brilliance of artistry, eg. 2001.

and as a bonus boring-debate defuser: the commercialization of christmas is at best a mixed blessing.

you're so high and mighty. what would we do without your "lame debate" detector. i will make sure to only discuss topics that are posted by you, oh great one.

ludovico

Quote from: cowboykurtisfilms are entertainment, not art.

false
"I'm successful, right? I mean, I could say to a woman, I'm a screenwriter and she'd look at me differently. I could get laid. But I want someone to like me. For me. Y'know? The way I like them. The way I'd do anything for that woman walking down the street. A million women walking down the street. I don't need to know what their jobs are. No one will ever love me like that. Like I love almost every woman I see."
      - Charlie Kaufman

Join my Mob!

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtisyou're so high and mighty. what would we do without your "lame debate" detector. i will make sure to only discuss topics that are posted by you, oh great one.
i'm gonna ban u.
under the paving stones.

MrBurgerKing

Listen to this post, maybe it will convince you. Forgive me if the grammar is poor, it's late (actually it's 3 in the afternoon, but I need an excuse). The fourteen year old cook at Burger King might consider his craft an artform. You, the consumers however, see it as a way to get fat, to eat your meal ASAP and get out of there. To the cook, it's his artform, it's his passion. Making that burger is what gets him up to go to work.

In your life, you might meet many Burger King elitists, who view this kid's job as an artform, and might crucify you for not believing it is. Who's right and who's wrong though? It's not so black and white. To the chef, he is an artist, but to you, he is a mutant.

Do you really expect everybody to view the cinema as an artform, all because you do? I've met many passionate people in my life, with their own artforms. I don't hold their art in as high esteem as they do, and they don't hold my art in as high esteem as I do. Do we strangle each other for this? Nope. Instead, we embrace this difference, because the fact of the matter is, if everybody had the same passion, we'd all be 14 year olds worshipping the construction of the perfect whopper.

xerxes

with that i will go eat some fast food

cowboykurtis

Quote from: P
Quote from: cowboykurtisyou're so high and mighty. what would we do without your "lame debate" detector. i will make sure to only discuss topics that are posted by you, oh great one.
i'm gonna ban u.

why is that?

cine

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: P
i'm gonna ban u.

why is that?

Probably because you talked him down like an asshole for having the most valid point on the thread.