I lost ALL my music. - Vista did it. (help)

Started by Stefen, July 02, 2007, 11:12:11 PM

Stefen

I lost ALL my music over the weekend. I installed Vista and it thrashed my PC and I had to do a clean reinstall after it corrupted all my external hard drives.

I'm talking over 10 years worth of mp3's I had saved. These things MONEY can't buy. Hard to find stuff I'll never find again. I'm trying to pretend like it didn't happen.

I've downloaded the essentials like the Wilco, Sonic Youth, Van Morrison, Radiohead, Black Keys, Jeff Buckley discographys, as well as some current and all time favorite albums like Fionas Tidal, Animal Collectives Feels, and some prime David Garza stuff pete hooked me up with.

Otherwise, I got nothing. About 10 seconds pass and I remember an album I liked that I make a mental note to look for. I've got literally around a million mental notes right now. I'm on edge.

If anyone knows any good blogs, or open directories that have "classic" (meaning all time great) albums) on it, please send it my way.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i split this thread because it might be good to have some helpful (maybe even life-saving) links for when this inevitably happens to someone else. the solution of course is to back everything up, something i recently started doing.

there's this thread about downloading songs but it's not very useful.

distant cousin: I just sold all my dvds
under the paving stones.

I Love a Magician

i have a lot of stuff you could download from me via soulseek. my name's cutselfnot if you wanna give that a go.

i got some beatles shit, they're pretty good.

Stefen

Thanks P.

Yeah, the Vista install, I was fine with, cause I had all my IMPORTANT stuff backed up on 2 500 gig external hd's. But I get Vista installed and right away it says it can't recognize the external devices even while I'm looking at the folder of their contents and it's all there.

THEN BAM. Everything deleted.

It happened just like that.

The worst part is just how much music I had. I mean, I had close to 900 gigs of music. And it's not like pack rat stuff, where I just keep everything, I mean, it was ALOT of music I listened to all the time. I mean, hard to find stuff that I anyone mentioned it, I could upload it (and I have on this site) and have it ready in a few minutes.

I mean, SERIOUSLY.

Alot of the really, really good stuff (Radiohead, Pink Floyd, shit that sounds good on headphones) I had in FLAC/complete lossless audio, which is tough to get cause you can only get at invite torrent sites where you need to keep a ratio, and these files are BIG.

I lost alot of other shit too, like pictures from highschool, saved e-mails and other things from high school friends who aernt even alive, hard to find scripts, just tons of shit I'd been collecting over the last 10 + years I've been on the net.

It's like losing your memory, but you CAN remember the memories you USED to have, but can't remember any of them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Love a Magician

hey dude you should write a movie about this it'd probably be pretty sweet.

no soundtrack, of course.

Stefen

I spent 10 years downloading music that I could write to, then 10 years later I'm finally ready to write a word and lose all that music.

This movies something like 50 years in the making. I don't do math, I write.

I Love a Magician

i'd be pissed if i lost my advance rip of blues traveler's "straight on till morning"

and that one everclear album, don't get me started

Sigur Rós

hxxp://www.wehategoodmusic.blogspot.com/

...contributing to the moral decae of xixax  :yabbse-undecided:

Well anyway this blog is really nice. Guy has good taste (in my oppinion) and everything is uploaded on mediafire which means you can download more than one file at a time, if you are not a member.

...and Stefen stop being such a homo!

Stefen

Thanks for that. I'll check it out when I get home.

I've gotten a pretty respectable music folder the last few days.

And I'll stop being a homo when I get the rest of my music back and I can stop sucking dick for it!

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Stefen on July 06, 2007, 05:23:16 PM
Thanks for that. I'll check it out when I get home.

I've gotten a pretty respectable music folder the last few days.

And I'll stop being a homo when I get the rest of my music back and I can stop sucking dick for it!

You can start sucking my dick, I'm all out of pussy!

Stefen

Like you have any music I want.

Not a big fan of Abba.

SORRY.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Stefen on July 06, 2007, 06:08:39 PM
Like you have any music I want.

Not a big fan of Abba.

SORRY.

And I'm not a big fan of Garth Brooks...We will never form a band  :yabbse-sad:

Stefen

haha.

That blog you sent was very good. I liked how they had every band alphabetized. I downloaded 10 + albums from it last night.

Stefen

Reinhold

have you taken your drives anywhere or downloaded/bought anything to see if the data can be recovered?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.