Antichrist

Started by MacGuffin, September 26, 2006, 01:55:33 PM

picolas

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Pissed I had to miss that one.  Pissed I'm having to miss a lot of the fantastic fest stuff this year.  Why did I even get a badge?

stupid work and other life-related responsibilities.

Pubrick

piss i had to miss that one and a million other things. pissed i'm having to wait half a year or more for the most anticipated movies of the year to come down here. why did i even come to this otherwise-perfect country?

stupid australia and its random dust storms.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: :P on September 30, 2009, 07:07:28 AM
piss i had to miss that one and a million other things. pissed i'm having to wait half a year or more for the most anticipated movies of the year to come down here. why did i even come to this otherwise-perfect country?

stupid australia and its random dust storms.

I did see Van Diemen's Land at Fantastic Fest.  The actors said it opened over there in your neck of the world at the same time.  Have you seen it?

oh, sorry, this is the Antichrist thread.  Um... Willem Dafoe is a shithead

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

'Antichrist' catchphrase catches on with fans
Pic's aphorism is the new 'I drink your milkshake!'
Source: Variety

*READ AT OWN RISK*

Coming to a T-shirt near you: "Chaos reigns!"

The unlikely catchphrase hails from Lars von Trier's arthouse horror movie "Antichrist" and is fast on its way to becoming this year's "I drink your milkshake!"

The graphic tale of a couple coming to terms with their grief divided critics in Cannes but is starting to find a following, thanks to some shrewd maneuvering by domestic distrib IFC Films, which recognized that younger auds and genre fans seemed attracted by the very elements that repelled other viewers.

Particularly iconic was a surreal scene in which Willem Dafoe's character stumbles through the primeval brush, where he encounters a fox devouring its own flesh. In what may or may not be a hallucination, the animal tosses its head and snarls the words "Chaos reigns."

"We've been saying it in the office since we bought the movie, so it's funny that it took off in Fantastic Fest," says IFC marketing head Ryan Werner, who sent the clip to a number of blogs. IFC also screened the film at the Austin, Texas-based horror and genre fest, where fanboys latched on to the pic's aphorism, starting a #chaosreigns Twitter stream and demanding shirts from the fest's on-site T-shirt purveyor, Mondo Tees.

"We knew things would happen, just because I've worked on other controversial movies before like 'The Brown Bunny,' and they kind of take a life of their own once you start throwing stuff out there," says Werner.

Though IFC doesn't hold merchandising rights on the film, Werner says the distrib is investigating possible tie-ins.

Adding to "Antichrist's" notoriety is an incident at the pic's New York Film Festival screening: The film had to be stopped after a man passed out during one of its more intense scenes.

Ambulances were called and the man had to be carried out before the screening resumed for the stunned audience.

Bloggers in attendance quickly spread the word, raising the film's profile even further.

Chaos reigns. And buzz abounds.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

haha, fuck, yeah. That's like one of the best parts. Supposedly Von Trier is the voice of the Fox. Who knows with that dude.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Willem Dafoe On Getting Nude In 'Antichrist,' Working With Director Lars Von Trier
Source: MTV

This week, (limited) audiences will finally get to see what all the fuss was at this year's Cannes over director Lars Von Trier's art-horror flick, "Antichrist." The unconventional tale of a husband and wife who try to cope with the tragic loss of their son by hiding out in the woods takes a dark turn as the unnamed man's (Willem Dafoe) attempts to psychoanalyze his unnamed wife (Charlotte Gainsbourg) elicit a violent response. I don't want to spoil anything, but it is worth noting that the term "genital mutilation" has been thrown around to describe just a few of the horrors you'll witness as the story reaches its endgame.

MTV's Josh Horowitz had the opportunity recently to speak with Dafoe, who was more than happy to discuss the experience of working with Von Trier. As one of the founders of the Dogme 95 movement -- a style of filmmaking defined by a lengthy manifesto -- Von Trier is a unique soul among his fellow artists. He called himself "the world's greatest director" at Cannes this year, railing against those critics who panned "Antichrist."

Dafoe was quick in trying to clear things up about a man who he's clearly had positive experiences with. "There's a lot of bad information about him. He's eccentric and has a caustic wit and he can be very ironic and sometimes its lost on people," he said. "Sometimes it's lost on people."

"I think he's a very strong personality and there's a degree of submission to his view," Dafoe continued. "But that's the key to freedom. Its through him you find your power and expression and your creativity. When you work with someone with a specific vision you can lose yourself and it gives you a clearer run at inhabiting something."

Dafoe was also quick to dismiss claims that Von Trier is cruel to his actors simply for the sake of it, the joy of it. "His kind of manipulation isn't a corrupt one. He's working towards something. We reward crafting a message more than we do evoking the mysterious, things that inspire. I think this movie has a power where it's a breathing thing."

I have to say, Dafoe makes a good point here about rewarding the message more than the experience. "Antichrist" is very much a non-standard film by Hollywood standards. It lies far outside the realm of Dogme 95, but it definitely forges its own path through the narrative, one that some viewers may have trouble following. It's hard to say that there's a clear resolution to walk away with, but there's plenty of thought-provoking material.

Josh also asked Dafoe about the nudity in "Antichrist," which is held apart -- deliberately, it seems -- from the performers. Many of the most explicit shots are presented in close-up, so there's no way to really tell if you're seeing the actor or a stand-in. As Dafoe pointed out, there was a reason for that.

"If that [nudity] was seen to be me it would only be about that," he explained. "It would be 'that movie where they have real sex.' So for the genital shots it's a double. That way it's not about a stunt. It's a better idea. [Von Trier] actually cut a lot of nudity out. He's a good filmmaker."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

i saw this film and left the theater feeling like i was just getting out of the woods from a bad trip. more thoughts later.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SiliasRuby

Seeing this tonight at the 9:55 screening then 'rocky horror' right after...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

picolas

sitting in chair at work. reading post.