hard eight screenplay online?

Started by tpfkabi, March 04, 2003, 10:15:51 PM

oakmanc234

When I first saw 'Hard Eight', I didn't think too much of it. I thought it was OK. Alot more intelligent than expected but still quite boorish. Then I watched it again a few months later. Loved it. This is a fine film here. Hall is incredible. Jackson set the film alight (I find Jimmy to be a very Tarantino-ish character, or maybe he just reminds me of 'Jackie Brown's Ordell Robbie). Hoffman's cameo was f***in hilarious 'Shaka laka do be do be doo'. The only bit I didn't like (and I do mean only) is the bit where Hall, Reilly and Paltrow are arguing in the motel. It annoys me. Other than that, 'Hard Eight' is a bloody good film. But definately my least favourite of PTA's.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

fulty

Quote from: oakmanc234the bit where Hall, Reilly and Paltrow are arguing in the motel. It annoys me.
That was a tough scene.  
For me it hit too close to home.  
Like the first time standing up to Dad.

I thought it meant that Sydney was just about finished parenting, and the 2 kids are ready to fly on their own.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Link

the thing I like least about the film is Jackson.  I used to love the guy, but he's really not that great, especially here.  I mean, partially, I think it was Anderson's fault with some of the dialogue, trying too hard to write a character like that, y'know?  And Jackson's delivery, wasn't natural enough, in my opinion.  I think he should have made it more his own.  I dunno.  Still love the flick.

oakmanc234

fulty wrote: I thought it meant that Sydney was just about finished parenting, and the 2 kids are ready to fly on their own.

Fly on their own? But they were asking for his help.

bonanzataz

Quote from: oakmanc234fulty wrote: I thought it meant that Sydney was just about finished parenting, and the 2 kids are ready to fly on their own.

Fly on their own? But they were asking for his help.

Yes, but now Sydney is getting fed up. This is like the last push out of the house, like dad giving up the money to pay for college. I like what Fulty wrote.

And for God sakes, oakman, learn how to use the quote function on this board!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

My f***ed up computer won't quote properly for some reason.

And ain't that a bit off topic, Greg's forum was shut down because of shit like this (discussing typo stuff, who gives a shit).

MacGuffin

Quote from: oakmanc234who gives a shit ?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

oakmanc234

He he. I was wondering if someone would do that.

oakmanc234

Quick question: What did everyone else think of the alternate ending that I read about-Sydney getting blown away at the end, an overhead shot of his dieing body as snow falls on him etc.

I think it would've ended on an upsetting but powerful note. I'm still glad that Sydney lived on, even if he had to live with another murder on his conciense...

fulty

Quote from: bonanzatazlike dad giving up the money to pay for college.
Thank you bo-taz...that's exactly what I thought as well.

As for the ending, I thought that when Sydney went back to the coffee shop that he was going to find Jimmy's son.....and the whole routine would start over..!!
I didn't mind being wrong.  
Hiding the blood on the cuff was much better.
Tinapop  

oakmanc234

I thought that hiding the blood on the cuff was a nice touch.
It summed up the shadowy and secretive side of Sydney as the film closed.

Link

I agree.

Even though I liked the alternate ending, the one they ended up using is much better.

tpfkabi

maybe these are up to the viewer, but:

does Sydney intentionally look for John?
if so, how did he know what he looked like? weren't Syndney's bad times long behind him (until the end)?
does Sydney do this because he feels guilty?

comments/concerns?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

fulty

Yes, Mr Graduate,
I think you got it right.

I agree that Sydney felt something like guilt for his past.
Maybe he killed John's father by mistake or something and wanted to make up for it.

I believe this is an imaginary story.
The logistics of how he tracked down John after all those years may have just taken away from the "feel" of the movie.  Plus, what are the odds of running into Jimmy, who could trace both of their pasts and make that connection.  

So, to me, the PTA movies are pure fantasy on one level, but they deal with emotions that are so real and powerful that they give me a new appreciation of life.
Tinapop  

Travis Bickle

THanks to Mac G, got the screenplay from Book City in Hollywood. I've been lookin' for this forever.
All Hail The Mighty MacGuffin!