Poof! - a short screenplay

Started by matt35mm, April 04, 2004, 04:43:18 PM

cine

Quote from: matt35mm<----------- that is a screenshot from the movie.
Is that "Gerry: The Cheap Cheap Version"?

And is the one on the right Rick Moranis?

matt35mm

Awww... is "cheap cheap" really the words to describe that?  I think it looks pretty good for DV.  I worked hard on the image.

And secondly, no.  That is no Rick Moranis.

It's his son.

Higher Res Picture:

Outpatient_Cowboy

What technique are you using to combine the images? it looks good.....
"...like nailing Jello to a tree"

matt35mm

Thanks.

I film both performances without moving the camera, of course.  And then I combine the two in Adobe After Effects using a "Mask."  I can choose any shape I want for a mask, so there is no straight line dividing the two different shots--it's a strategically placed mask so that there is no remaining visible line.

picolas

matt35mm

Sorta.  But like I said, there is no straight line dividing the two sides.  It is dividing along the pre-existing lines that are in the shot anyway (like the fence), creating a final image (or full video, really) where there are No Visible Lines.  A slightly more advanced way of doing it, where I don't need super controlled lighting--allowing me to do this outdoors.

matt35mm

Well here's a very rough and temporary site for the movie.

It doesn't have that much on it, but it does have a few shots from the movie.

http://www.digitalruckus.com/poof.html

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

From the look of that shot, you're doing really well, man.

Keep up the good work!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

El Duderino

i really like that shot.

did it really cost about $7,000?

i also really like his hair
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

matt35mm

Thanks!

Yes it really cost $7,000.  And I'm glad you like his hair, because that was what took up the bulk of the budget.

Tictacbk

damn, where'd you get 7 grand to blow?

<cough> drug dealer.. <cough>

matt35mm

I got a job and saved up for a year.

Simple.

Tictacbk

Recce

Its looking pretty good. As far as the people who said its jsut no good and don't bother, I think thats kind of a stupid POV. Let's never make any video or films unless they'll win festivals and stuff. I've done a shitload of crap and I'm just now starting to make stuff that I like. Its good to practice on stuff, even if they end up sucking. As far as the story goes, I kinda like it, it actually resembles two earlier scripts I had written in College. I would talk about them, but they no longer 'exist', if you get my drift.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

matt35mm

Oh I get ya.  They went "poof."

Yeah it's just a simple movie to begin with.  I want to begin to feel confident in myself as a director, and I wanted to really learn the whole process by experiencing it.  If the movie had a script or subject that I REALLY cared about, I wouldn't have felt confident enough in myself as a director to tackle it, for fear of screwing it up.  But now I have a chance to get better without that fear.

What independent first-time filmmaker with a tiny budget has made a great movie on that first try?  Even Robert Rodriguez made several shorts before El Mariachi.  You have to start somewhere.  This isn't the make-a-great-film process right now, it's the learning process for me.

But for those of you who are enjoying what I've got so far, thanks!  And I hope you enjoy these following few things as well.

Plus some other pics not shown on the website because there was already "too much Scott."

Enjoy.