the strokes

Started by Rudie Obias, January 16, 2003, 04:44:51 PM

Gamblour.

Pitchfork's Incorrect Review

This new album is amazing! Such new stretches and different sounds.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

i'm stumped...what was Keanu's reaction?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i'm going to guess it was 'whoa'.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

tpfkabi

your image isn't showing up, but i'm guessing it's a pic of Michelle from Full House with that quote.

did anyone buy the special edition of the album?
i'm probably going to buy it sometime soon, so i wondered if i should go ahead and spend the extra few dollars.

Pozer

You're right, my friend.  'Twas Michelle Tanner.  I was going to re-do it then post something saying "it's there.  You're just messin' with me" with a picture of Joey saying "cut-it-out."  But it's just... not... worth it.
I was wondering about the SE of the album as well.

modage

from what i hear, its just a cooler cardboard case and little like dressup dolls of them.  so, i didn't get it.  no extra nothings.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

tpfkabi

Are any of you diehards that bought all the solo projects, etc in between First and Angles?

I never got First, but I did fairly recently get Phrazes.

I see all the interviews saying that this was much more collaborative, but what I'm wondering is if Julian is actually singing on all tracks? 3 & 5 sound like someone else to me, but I'm not familiar with the other guy's voices.

modage

He sings on all the tracks. There might be a backing vocal or two from one of the other dudes but it's really minor. He's just been singing really out of his register over the recent stuff. Listen to the first album and the new album and it's really night and day.

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on March 23, 2011, 04:32:52 PM
He sings on all the tracks. There might be a backing vocal or two from one of the other dudes but it's really minor. He's just been singing really out of his register over the recent stuff. Listen to the first album and the new album and it's really night and day.

There are all kind of vocal effects on the album, even pitch modulation at the end of at least 2 tracks I think, but track 3 really does not sound like him. It must be him though, because then every review would have something like, "and with track 3 Albert Hammond Jr takes the mic for the first time on a Strokes track," etc...

Something about track 8/Gratisfaction makes me think of Chairman of the Board - Give Me Just a Little More Time. Maybe just the opening vocal.

Reel

this album is great, under cover of darkness is my shit! and its great to hear Julian spreading his wings a little, along with the rest of the band. Could you expect any less though, what has it been 5 years since the last album? I just kinda got into the Strokes recently, of course I fell in love after hearing 'is this it' but I hadn't been able to get my hands on any of their albums until now.

modage

Quote from: Reelist on March 26, 2011, 10:51:21 AM
this album is great

:ponder:

Quote from: Reelist on March 26, 2011, 10:51:21 AM
I just kinda got into the Strokes recently

Ahh. That explains it. Because the new album is by far their worst. There are a few good songs but overall it's a sloppy disjointed effort (made by a band who can hardly stand to be in the same room together making creative decisions) and even the best songs on this album don't come close to highlights of any of their other albums.  Unfortunately.  :yabbse-sad:

tpfkabi

I enjoy it, too.

I wonder if the band had not spoken of how the sessions went if there would be a collective general consensus .5 higher rating or more, kinda like how I spoke of people complaining of The King of Limbs being too short or not enough tracks. When people want to like something, but can't, do they grab at the most common possible reason and use that as the excuse to make them feel at ease? All hypothetical thoughts with no answer. This is not to say I think it's so good that people can't not like it. Call Me Back was one that really pleasantly surprised me on first stream and it seems most people/reviewers don't care for it.

I've read through a bunch of reviews today out of curiosity and can't believe Taken For a Fool has not been once compared to Californication era RHCP on the studio recording. His vocals sound very Kiedis to me on that one. Doesn't Kiedis even use the word 'mama' a lot? Seeing the band rip through it on Letterman gave me a new appreciation for the song.

mogwai

The Strokes' Albert Hammond Jr opens up about 'hardcore' drug problem

The Strokes' guitarist Albert Hammond, Jr. has opened up about the drug treatment he received while the band recorded their new album 'Angles'.

Hammond Jr didn't name the specific type of drug he was being treated for, but called his ordeal "hardcore".

He likened his problem, which came to a head in September 2009, to suffering from "a stroke".

Speaking to Spin, his bandmates also described their attempts to record with the guitarist around the time of his problem.

Guitarist Nick Valensi said: "We all saw something was broken – certain people getting into drugs. There was a lot of nodding off and passing out in the studio, like, 'Jesus, you're not awake to record your part, we have to wait four hours so you can nap'."

Hammond Jr admitted that he "wasn't really there" when the band started recording the album, and described the initial months following his rehab.

"I wasn't on any chemicals," he said. "It was hard – you have two good years of post-acute withdrawal. I was nervous and couldn't remember things. It's like having a stroke, no pun intended. You always do the crazy rock star thing, of course, but I'd rather be left with music from someone I admire than their funny stories of all the fucked-up shit they did."

Elsewhere in the interview frontman Julian Casablancas compared his solo output with that of The Strokes.

"I think almost everything I did on the solo thing [Casablancas released his 'Phrazes For The Young' album in 2010] felt so positive and almost everything I've ever done with The Strokes feels so negative and I just don't know why," he said.

Despite the apparent problems recording 'Angles' the album appears to be faring well commercially. It entered the UK charts at Number Three on Sunday (March 27).