Lolita remake

Started by Keener, May 11, 2003, 09:36:43 PM

Keener

Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Gold Trumpet

I don't think so. The only quality to me the film has that is of superiority to the Kubrick film is the focus on the sexual obcession of the professor on the girl. Kubrick admitted his film was of fault for not having it. Still, the remake only really succeeds in just tackling that issue. The original is still much more rewarding because it is deeper humanism. The remake feels like a ploy to get some controversy through a touchy subject without exploring that realm to go anything beyond that controversy.

~rougerum

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

that story about david mamets script being rejected because he made the guy look like a pedphile, is one of the funniest hollywood stories ever

xerxes

not really, but neither is the kubrick one in my opinion

Ghostboy

I haven't heard this story, Butterscotch! What's the steez?

MacGuffin

"I was hired by Adrian Lyne to write a draft of Lolita," he says. "Indeed, there are very few people who weren't hired by Adrian Lyne to write a draft of Lolita. I was real proud of it, and I handed it in and didn't hear anything from anybody for weeks. So I was talking to [the film's producer] Dick Zanuck." I said, 'Whatsamatter You didn't like the script?' He said, 'You made him look like a pedophile!'"

Mamet interview with Salon:
What about with "Lolita?"

I had a wonderful time writing it.

But in terms of the reaction in the U.S.?

They didn't end up using my script. They kicked me off the movie and ended up hiring somebody else. I haven't seen the finished movie.

Why did they hire someone else to write it?

For the same reason the moron threw the alarm clock out the window -- to see time fly.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

It's not as terrible as you'd expect from Adrian Lyne, but it's not good, and it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Kubrick rendition.

David Mamet writing AND directing might've been something different, though...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

xerxes

i hope people will one day realize  that this book cannot be made into a movie

it just doesn't work

Derek237

To be honest the remake just put me to sleep.  :?

USTopGun47

Fresh Sex Doesn't Mean Kicked Up Notches
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.