17 Minutes of Lost '2001' Footage

Started by Gold Trumpet, December 16, 2010, 10:19:04 PM

Gold Trumpet

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/column-post/wb-uncovers-lost-footage-kubricks-2001-space-odyssey-23309

WB Uncovers Lost Footage From Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey'
By Jeff Sneider
Published: December 16, 2010

Warner Bros. has evidently found 17 minutes of lost footage from Stanley Kubrick's sci-fi classic "2001: A Space Odyssey" in a Kansas salt-mine vault, according to Forgotten Silver (via Slash Film and The Film Stage).

Douglas Trumbull (the film's special photographic effects supervisor) revealed the exciting news at a recent screening of "2001" in Toronto. Trumbull said he wasn't sure what the studio plans to do with the footage, which was found in pristine, "perfectly preserved" condition and is considered an important piece of movie history.

According to its IMDB page, "2001's" original running time was 160 minutes when it debuted in 1968. Kubrick subsequently removed 19 minutes, and it's presumed that this was the footage that was discovered in Kansas.

Kubrick reportedly cut the footage from "2001" because he felt it created pacing issues. The footage includes some additional footage of the "Dawn of Man" sequence, a scene in which Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea) searched for a replacement antenna part in storage, a scene where HAL severs radio communication between the "Discovery" and Frank Poole's (Gary Lockwood) pod, as well as shots of Poole's space walk before he is killed.

Trumbull and David Larson have spent years working on the documentary "2001: Beyond the Infinite -- The Making of a Masterpiece," which the studio has reportedly decided against moving forward with due to rights issues and other financial concerns.

Trumbull's presentation featured never-before-seen images that will be included in his and Larson's upcoming behind-the-scenes photo book, though it's unclear if those images were from the found footage or not.

Ravi

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/12/its-official-warner-bros-has-no-plans-for-deleted-2001-a-space-odyssey-vault-footage/

It's Official: Warner Bros. Has No Plans for Deleted 2001: A Space Odyssey Vault Footage
By Hugh Hart Email Author
December 20, 2010

What's going to happen to those 17 minutes of "lost" footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey? The movie's visual effects supervisor Douglas Trumball wowed film buffs in Toronto when he revealed that perfectly preserved negatives, shot by director Stanley Kubrick but unseen in the theatrical release, sit in a salt mine in Kansas where Warner Bros. maintains a vault.

17 minutes cut from 2001: A Space Odyssey remains in a Kansas storage facility.
Image courtesy Warner Home Video.

And that's where it will remain, according to Warner Home Video, which previously issued a Blu-ray version of the 1968 sci-fi classic. In a statement e-mailed to Wired.com Monday following last week's rash of speculation on the web about the fate of the footage, Warner Home Video said, "Additional footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey has always existed in the Warner vaults. When Mr. Kubrick trimmed the 17 minutes from 2001 after the New York premiere, he made it clear the shortened version was his final edit. The film is as he wanted it to be presented and preserved and Warner Home Video has no plans to expand or revise Mr. Kubrick's vision."

One of the few auteurs to insist on a contractually guaranteed "final cut," perfectionist Kubrick trimmed footage including a 10-minute opening sequence featuring interviews about extraterrestrial life with physicist Freeman Dyson and other scientists.

Though the new Space Odyssey footage will not get a public airing, Warner spokesperson Ronnee Sass promises Kubrick fans new projects next year: "Stay tuned for lots on Kubrick in 2011."

Gold Trumpet

I remember The Shining was the film which had the most interesting deleted scenes. When I read about it, I remember thinking I wouldn't mind to see the scenes again. For 2001, I can see how the scenes would be added on as extra features, but I doubt a longer cut will be made. It's mostly repitition of what is already in the film. Still, it's interesting to wonder how the Kubrick library will unfold as more things become available and every new DVD release yearns for those features to justify their existence.

wiped_out

Do you mind sharing what the deleted scenes from The Shining where?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ravi on December 21, 2010, 04:10:32 PM
Warner spokesperson Ronnee Sass promises Kubrick fans new projects next year: "Stay tuned for lots on Kubrick in 2011."

Did this ever happen?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Maybe they meant the blu-ray releases.
under the paving stones.