Aimee Mann question

Started by Link, August 06, 2003, 04:51:37 PM

Link

Did she do a cover of Burt Bacharach's "What the World Needs Now?"  Cuz I just saw a Calvin Klein commercial, and it sounds a lot like her.  Plus, I've always thought of Bachelor No. 2 being very Bacharach-ish.

sickfins

yessss

it is a tough needle to find, though

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

aclockworkjj

Quote from: filmcriticKazaa!
confirms he is kinda young...sorry, but not too many old people are wise to such things...

markums2k

Quote from: filmcriticKazaa!

Wasn't Shaquille O'Neal in that?

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: LinkDid she do a cover of Burt Bacharach's "What the World Needs Now?"  Cuz I just saw a Calvin Klein commercial, and it sounds a lot like her.  Plus, I've always thought of Bachelor No. 2 being very Bacharach-ish.

I'll ask her for ya....since I'm seeing her on the 23rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Lucinda Bryte

aclockworkjj

damn, I was really into her around the "mag" era...but I don't even think I heard her  most recent album (which is pretty old actually)...Lost in Space...is it any good?

Mac....help me out, cause I know it's probably been covered...

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

tpfkabi

at my job i'm surrounded by 30-ish aged women and they have radios, so all they play are the lite rock stations that play Michael Bolton, Celion Deon, etc.........i was wondering though
why isn't Aimee Mann bigger?
it's not like her music has weird chord changes or anything.
the songs on Magnolia seem like they would fit in on that type of station (subject wise at least)
but at the same time there are Beatle-esque arrangements (maybe because of Brion's involvement, i'm not sure)

so has she had any radio success at all?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Link

I was actually thinking the same thing around the time Magnolia came out.  I listened to the same type of stations, and I even  considered sending her CD to the station begging them to give her a chance, but I ended up forgetting about it.

As for Lost In Space, I agree, it is good.  But I think Bachelor No. 2 is better by far.  Though, again, that's not to say Lost In Space isn't good.  Give it a chance, it's more than worth it.  It's sort of "darker" (I dunno how to describe it, just the tunes, the chords she hits, y'know, more minors, so it sounds lower than the [as I stated earlier] Bacharach-esque "Bachelor" was).