Author Topic: Kubrick hoaxes  (Read 3376 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

(kelvin)

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 280
  • Respect: +1
Kubrick hoaxes
« on: December 03, 2003, 11:22:50 AM »
0
There are quite some weird stories that I have heard or read about Kubrick, most of them are very probably made up.

My favourite one is the following:

You know that, for Barry Lyndon, Kubrick used Zeiss lenses that he got from NASA in order to film the candle-light sequences without artificial light. Now those lenses are so special, so sophisticated and so expensive, for they were designed for satellites, why would NASA give them to Stanley Kubrick?

Well, because Kubrick, in 1969, apparently filmed (i.e. faked) the Apollo 11 mission on the sets of 2001. So he made a deal with NASA in exchange for the Zeiss lenses.

In some way, I wish it were true...

Pubrick

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 12170
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +773
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 11:56:48 AM »
0
oh man. ur gettin all the facts and myths mixed up.

he did indeed use special lenses originally used by NASA to shoot the candle-lit scenes in Barry Lyndon, but they gave it to him probably through studio connections and not out of conspiracy. the whole moon landing cover-up is most excellently covered in this frech documentary called Opération lune, which was screened here under the name Dark Side of The Moon.

that's where ur myth first appeared and was debunked. what made it convincing was that the doco has Buzz Aldrin, Christiane Kubrick, Jan Harlan, Henry Kissinger, Donald Rumsfeld, and heaps of other important ppl talking frankly about this supposed massive cover-up. the whole time i'm thinking "it's finally happened, P, u've gone insane..". and i hate to spoil it for ppl who havn't seen it (if u havn't u prolly never will) but the whole thing is a joke in the vein of Forgotten Silver! during the credits u see outtakes of Rummy and all fumbling their lines. boy it really had me going for a second. i didn't sleep that nite.

it is a very very well done documentary that u should all check out. the ultimate kubrick myth taken to frenzied levels.. and of course it's all based on fact, except it's all made up.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

(kelvin)

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 280
  • Respect: +1
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 12:18:24 PM »
0
Quote from: P
oh man. ur gettin all the facts and myths mixed up.

he did indeed use special lenses originally used by NASA to shoot the candle-lit scenes in Barry Lyndon, but they gave it to him probably through studio connections and not out of conspiracy. the whole moon landing cover-up is most excellently covered in this frech documentary called Opération lune, which was screened here under the name Dark Side of The Moon.

that's where ur myth first appeared and was debunked. what made it convincing was that the doco has Buzz Aldrin, Christiane Kubrick, Jan Harlan, Henry Kissinger, Donald Rumsfeld, and heaps of other important ppl talking frankly about this supposed massive cover-up. the whole time i'm thinking "it's finally happened, P, u've gone insane..". and i hate to spoil it for ppl who havn't seen it (if u havn't u prolly never will) but the whole thing is a joke in the vein of Forgotten Silver! during the credits u see outtakes of Rummy and all fumbling their lines. boy it really had me going for a second. i didn't sleep that nite.

it is a very very well done documentary that u should all check out. the ultimate kubrick myth taken to frenzied levels.. and of course it's all based on fact, except it's all made up.


First of all, I do know that the myth was made up. And I have heard about the documentary and could get it if I wanted to. So...I think I made it clear that it is a hoax (which is prior to the documentary). Yes, he got the Zeiss lenses. (I may have been unclear about that). But he did certainly not film the Apollo mission (unnecaessary to say this).

Pubrick

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 12170
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +773
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 12:23:36 PM »
0
i didn't mean to challenge ur masculinity. anyway only the first sentence in my post was directly to u. if u notice by the end i am talking to everyone. go easy, plimpton.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

Fernando

  • satan's little helper
  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2232
  • Respect: +229
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 01:01:57 PM »
0
Quote from: P

he did indeed use special lenses originally used by NASA to shoot the candle-lit scenes in Barry Lyndon, but they gave it to him probably through studio connections and not out of conspiracy.


Ed Di Giulio gave him those lenses through the company Ed worked at the time, he as well modified SK's mitchell cameras so the zeiss lenses could fit in them.

(kelvin)

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 280
  • Respect: +1
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 03:09:52 PM »
0
Quote from: P
i didn't mean to challenge ur masculinity. anyway only the first sentence in my post was directly to u. if u notice by the end i am talking to everyone. go easy, plimpton.


I just wanted to clarify some passages, because your objection was justified. But as you have noticed, your message should have been clarified as well. By the way, thou hadst insulted me gravely. I demand satisfaction.

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10773
  • Respect: +707
    • Floating Heads
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 03:30:49 PM »
0
i heard that he faked his own death.  how else did he release 9 posthumous albums? there's no way he could've had all that material saved up.  you can watch the new docu Kubrick: Resurrection told through the masters own words to find out more about this and other hoaxes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

(kelvin)

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 280
  • Respect: +1
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 04:11:09 PM »
0
Quote from: themodernage02
i heard that he faked his own death.  how else did he release 9 posthumous albums? there's no way he could've had all that material saved up.  you can watch the new docu Kubrick: Resurrection told through the masters own words to find out more about this and other hoaxes.


What exactly do you mean with "albums"?

Gamblour.

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3465
  • Respect: +12
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 04:33:06 PM »
0
...
WWPTAD?

Sleuth

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3468
  • dead comic genius
  • Respect: +8
    • http://www.conologue.com
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 05:10:54 PM »
0
Quote from: chriskelvin
Quote from: themodernage02
i heard that he faked his own death.  how else did he release 9 posthumous albums? there's no way he could've had all that material saved up.  you can watch the new docu Kubrick: Resurrection told through the masters own words to find out more about this and other hoaxes.


What exactly do you mean with "albums"?


http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB040312031811051844&sql=Bra9ds30ba3rg
I like to hug dogs

(kelvin)

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 280
  • Respect: +1
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 03:41:02 AM »
0
Quote from: Slobh
Quote from: chriskelvin
Quote from: themodernage02
i heard that he faked his own death.  how else did he release 9 posthumous albums? there's no way he could've had all that material saved up.  you can watch the new docu Kubrick: Resurrection told through the masters own words to find out more about this and other hoaxes.


What exactly do you mean with "albums"?


http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB040312031811051844&sql=Bra9ds30ba3rg


???

Great joke, really.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10898
  • Respect: +1310
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 09:40:46 AM »
0
from Roger Ebert's Answer Man column...


Q. The CBC is showing a documentary called "Dark Side of The Moon." According to the blurb, during an interview with Stanley Kubrick's widow, she reveals that Kubrick, along with other producers, were recruited to create moon landing footage in case NASA wasn't able to transmit signals from the moon. The Nixon administration couldn't afford a public relations failure. In exchange, Kubrick got a special NASA lens to help him shoot "Barry Lyndon" in 1975.

Marie Haws, New Westminster, British Columbia


A. The doc aired Nov. 16 and repeated Nov. 21. According to Alex Strachan of the CanWest News Service, it contains on-camera interviews with Christiane Kubrick, astronaut Buzz Aldrin, Henry Kissinger, Donald Rumsfeld, Al Haig and others, and says the fake landing was filmed on the same sound stage Kubrick used for the moon in "2001: A Space Odyssey." So why didn't Americans hear about this amazing expose? Because "Dark Side of the Moon," by the French documentarian William Karel, is a mockumentary. Using camera trickery, special effects and editing of real interviews that takes words out of context, it seems to be a factual report of a hoax -- but is a hoax itself.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

NEON MERCURY

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3853
  • Respect: +16
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 12:32:42 PM »
0
.the best hoax he has ever pulled is the one where people think his film are any good......

Pubrick

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 12170
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +773
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 12:33:32 PM »
0
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
.the best hoax he has ever pulled is the one where people think his film are any good......

that shit ain't funny muthafuckoo.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

NEON MERCURY

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3853
  • Respect: +16
Kubrick hoaxes
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 12:34:52 PM »
0
Quote from: P
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
.the best hoax he has ever pulled is the one where people think his film are any good......

that shit ain't funny muthafuckoo.


just play'n ....... :wink: .

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy