INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

does that mean he's gonna shoot the Master all year and then start this or is this one gonna come first? Either way, it's cool he's doing stuff back to back. God knows we need it.

modage

It doesn't say anything about back-to-back. It means, if this works out, he'll be doing Inherent Vice this fall and then hopefully at some indetermined future date would get back to The Master, but who knows?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Remember when we thought Adam Sandler being in PDL would bring PTA greater mainstream popularity? And then it didn't really happen?

With Robert Downey Jr, this could be the one.

Stefen

I was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about how funny Adam Sandlers new movie was and they said, "Yeah, this isn't one of those stupid movies where he tries to act. Remember that movie where he wore that blue suit? AWFUL. This movie is actually funny."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

:drool:

I think he has to act waay more in those other movies. The Sandler of PDL is a lot closer to the version you see of him in interviews. well, less jokey than that but still funny as hell.

squints

Quote from: Stefen on February 20, 2011, 04:31:21 PM
I was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about how funny Adam Sandlers new movie was and they said, "Yeah, this isn't one of those stupid movies where he tries to act. Remember that movie where he wore that blue suit? AWFUL. This movie is actually funny."

Sports radio generally isn't the place where i get well informed thoughtful discussion of the cinema.
its where i go to get my masturbatory thunder fix.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

P Heat

Quote from: idk on December 07, 2011, 08:00:42 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on December 07, 2011, 04:51:44 PM
1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

... 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, etc.

It's hard to resist this temptation, but if He deems that more time is needed I shall trust in Him.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/12/08/robert-downey-jr-says-paul-thomas-anderson-collaboration-is-probably-true/

he said " a variety of projects including" :ponder: including Inherent Vice.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Jeremy Blackman

You're missing a word there. He said "variety of potential projects," (also didn't say "including") and from the context it sounds like they'd probably end up picking just one. For God's sake, be careful with those quotation marks!

Sorry, just trying to be a downer.

But this is still good news.

Champion Souza

Paul Thomas Anderson Now Writing 'Inherent Vice,' Hopes To Get It "Going Soon"

via The Playlist

With "The Master" making its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival over the weekend, we can now start obsessing over Paul Thomas Anderson's next movie, right? Indeed, given his patient output and increasing space between films (it has been five years each between "Punch-Drunk Love" and "There Will Be Blood," and "There Will Be Blood" and "The Master") it can be a tough wait for fans of the director's work, but the good news is he's already at work on what will hopefully be his next project.
"I'm hoping we can get 'Inherent Vice' going soon. That's what I'm writing now," he told Screen Daily in Venice. But as folks already know, this one has already been brewing for a while. An adaptation of Thomas Pychon's novel, the project first dropped on the radar in 2010, and shortly thereafter, found financing via Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures who also backed "The Master" after Universal bailed out. The picture also seemed to gain a lead in Robert Downey Jr., who as recently as last December, was hinting very strongly at working with Anderson.

The 384-page "novella" is a bit more straightforward than usual Pynchon fare, and follows a private detective uncovering a plot to kidnap a billionaire land developer in drug-kissed 1960s Los Angeles. Many reviewers have even drawn comparisons to the psychedelic noir of "The Big Lebowski." Downey Jr. is eyeing the lead role of the blissed-out investigator, and it will seemingly be another genre detour for Anderson...into stoner comedy?

"[It's] like a 'Cheech and Chong' movie. Adapting Pychon's work is] just gonna be great and, hopefully, fun" he told Empire, while also revealing he's tackling the author's opus "Gravity's Rainbow" as well. "Hopefully not long. I'd like to have a few years of being more productive. But we'll see," he said about progress on that one.

As for the visual look of the film, and his recent embrace of 70mm for "The Master," he's keeping options open for "Inherent Vice." "It would depend on the story. It would be tempting to do it again. It's a lovely format. The camera is as big as a table. It's loud, too. You can hear it in the movie. It's like a fan at times," he explained to Screen Daily.

So all this to say, "Inherent Vice" is very much in the cards. Let's just hope we don't have to wait until 2017 to see it.

P Heat

edit: fuck the playlist. piece of shit site
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Just Withnail

Quote from: P Heat on September 07, 2012, 01:36:57 AM
Cool news. Didn't expect the interest of doing an adaption of Gravity's Rainbow as well.  2 possible P.T movies in the works. I feel like I ate a big lunch and am satisfied about it

He isn't, that's just Playlist not reading the original article properly. Only mention of Gravity's Rainbow is this:

Quote from: EmpireBut although Anderson has been working on bringing the Gravity Rainbow author's most accessible work to the big screen for several years, it's not clear exactly when it will happen: "Hopefully not long. I'd like to have a few years of being more productive. But we'll see."

modage

It was the confusing wording of the Empire article that they went back and updated.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kellen

modage

Linking to the Slashfilm repost of our story? Bad form!  :yabbse-grin:

Jeremy Blackman

Indeed! Fixed.

This does sound exciting. I'm torn on whether to read the book.