The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Robyn

QuoteA commenter has pointed out that it's likely true the films U.K. release would be in 2013 if it's still on track for a late 2012 U.S. release. Crisis averted. (Thanks for the headsup, Charlie and Dick!)

O.

My genitals are frothing, I'm so happy.
superb

Stefen

Cool news. But I'm more happy Mod posted.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

©brad

Pubrick

Poor jonny brion.

Did anyone listen to these zed-u freaks? I hope that's not what the soundtrack will be like, yeesh!

Great to hear from mod and nice to see cigs get a scoop.
under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: pete on October 13, 2011, 09:20:32 PM
ha - I was in that room that just color graded twixt! It was called SpyPost, and a really frivolous food video series I was working on did our color correction there too, in the same suite. It was pretty suite; a 20 ft screen that was capable of 3D, which was what Twixt was done in. The coloring system is called, I think - Pablo - but it might've been just one of the many systems used in that little suite, which was one of the happiest days in my short filmmaking career. Nothing says validation like watching things get projected on a 20ft screen and slaved over by polite and witty professionals.

here right now, grading souffles.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Fernando

from cigsandredvines.

Emily Watson Has Seen The First 30 Minutes Of 'The Master,' Says Film Will Be "Incredible"

Moviefone sat down with "War Horse" star Emily Watson and while talking to her about her career, the conversation turned to her (magnificent) work in "Punch-Drunk Love." The actress mentioned that she'd love to work with Paul again and then let slip that she's actually seen the first 30 minutes of 'The Master.' Take it away, Emily...

One of my favorite movies is 'Punch-Drunk Love.'
[A big smile overcomes her face] Yeah. Me, too.

Were you at all hesitant to take that role? Not with P.T. Anderson, but maybe there was a concern about this being an Adam Sandler wacky comedy?
No, I knew. Paul came to me and said, "I'm doing this film with Adam and I'd like you to be in it." And the idea of the two of us in a room together tickled me pink. Just particularity where he was at and where I was at -- we were from different planets. And I thought, what a delicious idea.

You two should do another movie together.
I'd love to! I would love to do another movie.

I think people do miss the Sandler who pushed himself like that.
Yeah. And he had an incredible work ethic. We did hundreds of takes ... Well, not hundreds, but take after take after take. Adam just went at it, went at it, went at it. He completely gave over to being in a Paul Thomas Anderson movie. He gave himself over to it in a very self-effacing way. It's lovely.

And it's been so long since we've seen a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.
He has made one, I saw the first half an hour.

Of 'The Master'?
It's going to be incredible. I'm not going to say anything more on that. He'll kill me!

So the first half hour already exists?
Oh, yeah. Well ... they're editing.

Very, very exciting. Our fingers are still crossed there might be some sort of footage released before the end of the year but with likely a full 12 months to go before release we understand if Paul wants to keep a tight lid on things. But that doesn't mean we're not jealous.

Pozer

Sleepless

While it's very cool that teasing tidbits are starting to come out already, it's actually quite depressing to think we've got to wait another whole 12 months before we get to see this.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

O.

At this rate, his next film will come out in 2017, which makes me more upset than having to wait one year for this one.
superb

ono

Quote from: O on December 07, 2011, 01:47:30 PM
At this rate, his next film will come out in 2017, which makes me more upset than having to wait one year for this one.

Try 2020.  :(

1997 1 year passed
1999 2 "
2002 3 "
2007 5 "
2013 6 "

Pattern looks to be... 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 (so far).  If Magnolia is his 2001, we can expect to see his swan song by 2029.  If he's still making movies in 2050, he really has taken up for Altman, that sexy devil.

If he does manage to get The Master out by the end of 2012, I predict the pattern to be: 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8, 9, meaning O is right.  A little bit more optimistic, but we know better than that.

Jeremy Blackman

So, umm, at the risk of stating the obvious, shouldn't we consider the events of his personal life in the last few years? Presumably that is not a pattern. Hopefully not... or he'll have many wives and many kids before long.

Can't we just say that perhaps he took a break to start a family, and he'll be back on a 2-3 year schedule (or something like that)?

Aren't we also forgetting that his next feature is already being planned (and financed)?

I know you guys probably aren't serious, but really, cheer up!

matt35mm

1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

idk

Quote from: matt35mm on December 07, 2011, 04:51:44 PM
1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

... 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, etc.

It's hard to resist this temptation, but if He deems that more time is needed I shall trust in Him.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.