Pulp Ficion knockoff?

Started by prophet, October 19, 2003, 12:07:35 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: poserI'll never understand why so many people I know liked this movie a lot

Two words: Willem Dafoe.

ShanghaiOrange

Four words, actually: Willem Dafoe in drag.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Banky

bonanzataz

i turned it off after 15 minutes. i never turn movies off. i really hated it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

picolas

Quote from: Bankypaciencte is a virtue
so is kqwqytllhrr.

pete

city on fire is really good, it shares a similar plot with Resevoir Dogs and there are some scenes that do resemble one another, but Resevoir Dogs is done with so much more style.  City on Fire is like a gritty police drama, Ringo Lam even shot it with a lot of handheld for this type of documentary/ news footage feel.  So the tone between the two movies is totally different.  Plus City on Fire focuses on Chow YunFat and his relationship with the cops and the thieves while Dogs gives the thieves so much more individuality and scenes.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

thedog

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0111705/

Why people claim Boondock Saints to be the "greatest movie [they've] ever seen" is completely beyond me. I don't see it to be that much of a Tarantino ripoff because Tarantino can make good movies.

SHAFTR

I've never seen Boondock Saints but it seems to be the new movie that all the frat boys watch.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

coffeebeetle

Quote from: SHAFTRI've never seen Boondock Saints but it seems to be the new movie that all the frat boys watch.

Heh heh.

Yup, this movie sucks.  I think the part I cringed the most from was when they slipped in through the ceiling, suspended from ropes, and took all the gangsters out.  

Blech.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

thedog

Quote from: coffeebeetleI think the part I cringed the most from was when they slipped in through the ceiling, suspended from ropes, and took all the gangsters out.  

Yeah, everytime I think that maybe the movie isn't so bad, I always think about that. Especially since the characters claim it to be an accident, one of the brothers even says "stuff like that only happens in the movies". barf.

It seems like the writer/director only made the movie to hold his over-the-top slow motion action sequences.

coffeebeetle

lol exactly.  i couldn't agree more.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

modage

i hated hated hated boondock saints.  first of all, i heard about it from about 4 or 5 different unrelated people so by the time i finally got around to watching it, i thought it might be some little gem that went unrecognized upon release.  but no, it was awful awful shite.  and troy duffy SOOOOOOOOOO wished he was tarantino i thought it was the mid-ninties again with all the pulp wannabes.  and willem dafoe was clearly acting in a different film from the rest of the cast, not that its the first time...  speed 2 anyone?  (the infamous leeches scene)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.