removing unwanted sound

Started by metroshane, July 08, 2004, 12:28:43 PM

metroshane

While filming in locations where we had no A/C control, we were left with unmatched audio.  I know there are programs that will sample the unwanted noise and then remove it...but how practical are they?  What are the good ones?  What's the best FCP can do?

Thx
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Redlum

http://www.sonicspot.com/denoise/denoise.html

I used this program once and had fairly good results. What I like about it is that it creates two files: one is the remaining file without noise, and the second is the removed noise. The latter is really helpful to tweak the settings to ensure as little as possible of the actual desired sound is removed.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Recce

Did you record ambiant sound so you could fill it in, worst case scenario if you can't remove it?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

metroshane

Thanks Redlum...i might try that.

Yes, Reece, we got plenty of room tone...but I hate that method.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

mutinyco

Try doing some ADR. Have them re-record it, then you'll have perfect sound.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe