a short doc then feature doc for festivals?

Started by gwfa, November 16, 2004, 06:54:04 PM

gwfa

I am currently finishing up a feature length documentary.
I would like to take a break from this workload and create a short documentary strictly for the festival circuit.
One month.
I have ONE MONTH to complete a short documentary...

Although I have the subject matter for this short documentary, the protagonists are not quite available for the filming in the a lotted time i blocked out in order to get this ready by my one month deadline.

My #1 priority is to make this deadline (sanity issues).
Right now I am figuring...
"Why can't I kill a couple of birds with one stone?"

Is it at all possible to create a short film from the raw footage of my feature and still be able to use the same footage in my feature documentary?

Would submitting a short documentary jeopardize the chances of my feature documentary (with the same footage) from being accepted in the same festival? (sundance, tribeca, cannes, toronto, etc.) not to mention winning?

Has there ever been films which have been both shorts and then feature length films.  I am specifically interested in the documentary category.

I'd like to submit the short doc this year and the feature NEXT year when it is completed.

Thanks in advance

Sal

You own the footage, so I dont see why it would be a problem.  As to jeopardizing chances for your feature, I guess that depends on if the people that see it feel that it isn't necessary after seeing the short one.  If it's a good short doc it could invalidate the feature.  But that's something you'd have to ask specific festivals about.  Which ones were you thinking of submitting the short doc to?

gwfa

as many as possible...

but that includes Sundance, TriBeCa, and Toronto. (Especially for my feature length Documentary.)