Your First DVD

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2003, 02:51:06 PM

©brad

yea, 3 has its ups n downs. neve looks her best, imo. the jenny mccarthy scene is worth the price of the dvd alone. hahah. sum good fighting at the end.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: ***beady***Well, I ment manga, but I do love anime too!

What the hell's the difference between manga and anime?  This is what I thought:

manga = japanese comic book
anime = japanese animation

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still need to head to the shower to wash this dorkiness off.

picolas

Quote from: Pawbloemanga = japanese comic book
anime = japanese animation
yep. pretty much.

by the way, my first three discs were essentials only

matrix
fight club
t2

Myxo

I don't remember my "first". I remember the first few I owned though.

Shawshank Redemption
The Matrix
Magnolia
Gattaca

edison

Wild Things was my first

***beady***

If you watch enough manga and anime, then you'll soon see the difference. Some people call Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Beyblade anime, if you compare that to say Ninja Scrolls (manga), then it's a huge difference.
But, hey, thats my opinion.

modage

not that i care, but isnt MANGA a company?  and anime is the term for a style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

***beady***

Yes that is true that manga is from a company, (palm pictures). I just like manga. And to me, maybe not others, but theres a difference.
I'm trying to collecet all the manga, sigh, taking ages to find them all.
It's all anime art though.

markums2k

Geez, here's your definitive answer:

Manga: PRINTED Japanese comics.

Anime: Animation with an Asian flavor.

Ninja Scroll, the animated feature, is NOT 'manga', it is anime, but it's possible to adapt an anime from manga.  Manga-based.  Manga-inspired.  Whatever.

Some people label EVERYTHING 'anime'.  In that case, the term anime is generally accepted as an abbreviation of the term 'anime-style'.  Pokemon and Ninja Scroll are both anime, all the same.

There is a terrible U.S. company that dubs and distributes anime that adopted the name 'Manga', but it really holds no relevance to anything.  End of conversation.

MrBurgerKing

The first DVD I bought was back in December of '98: Babe. That great flick about the fat talking pig that makes friends with other barn yard animals and becomes a champion sheep herder. The story of my life. Actually, I wish. Life as a barn yard animal seems so appealing. No McDonalds, no garbage polluting our society like 7th Heaven, no Big Macs, or soggy cheeseburgers, just a warm life sleeping in the grass with the bugs looking at the skies. Whenever you're uncomfortable outside, James Cromwell will invite you in, and his fat wife will make you a sandwich. You could piss on the grass without getting weird looks, or run around nude in the sun with all your animal friends. It's a big brotherhood. How could you not love to live as an animal on hoggets farm? Can anyone tell me why they don't love this flick? I sold the DVD and I'm probably going to buy it when they release a widescreen supersized edition.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI sold the DVD and I'm probably going to buy it when they release a widescreen supersized edition.

Just in from Universal Studios are the full specs for the new special edition reissue of the family classic, Babe. This Oscar-nominated talking pig extravaganza features a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, an audio commentary with filmmaker George Miller, "The Making of Babe" featurette, an interactive game and theatrical trailers. Retail is $19.95, and a two-pack with the newly remastered Babe: Pig in the City will also be available for $34.95 on September 23.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

That'll do, pig.  :?

cine

The first DVD I ever watched was Taxi Driver. I had seen it on VHS but seeing it on DVD with great picture and sound quality, I was hypnotized. It was also cool learning about Scorsese's scribbled storyboards.

The first DVDs I received as gifts were the two-disc special editions for Citizen Kane and Singin' in the Rain, and Young Frankenstein. The first DVD I bought myself was the special edition for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Gotta love their Japanese version with English subtitles.

phil marlowe

Quote from: autophobia
you have no idea how much i want to see this movie.

Ghostboy

Glitter is an amazing movie.

I can't wait to get that Babe 2-pack. Does anyone else think the sequel is the masterpiece I remember it being in the theater? I remember finding it truly extraordinary.