finding an all region dvd player

Started by Sal, July 07, 2003, 07:22:51 AM

Sal

I've been meaning to purchase a dvd player that can play all region encoded dvd's.  I'm wondering - where's the cheapest and most reliable place to do this online, aside from ebay?

modage

good question.  me too.  and to add another question to this, are there any drawbacks from having one?  is the quality of hte player or ability to play discs or anyhthing affected?  how 'bootleg' are these? or do the actual manufacturers put them out legally SOMEwhere?  whats the difference between a $70 player or a $120 player?  how do you know what you're getting?  will the police storm my house if i have one?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

yes, but does it have a built in framerate changer so you can play PAL discs on an NTSC tv?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

i heard that the pal to ntsc switch makes the picture a bit jumpy. is that true?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Fernando

In order to not make a thread of my request I'll post it here.

I'm about to finally buy a dvd player and there are two things that make me hesitate about it, one is how can I know that the player I get is good quality, two, I want a multiregion player and I've seen at amazon that some dvd's are region encoded, meaning they might not be played in a multiregion player. I plan on spending about $200 dollars (more or less), I guess there most be some quality players around that price cause I've seen them in $80 but I really want to buy one with good quality, so, do you have any suggestions at all?

Thanks in advance for your help.

kotte

hey...region-free DVD players are just as good as the One-region players.

It's not illegal to own one and it's not illegal to buy DVD's from other regions than your own. What is illegal is for retailers to sell DVD's from other regions.

The NTSC PAL switch and jumpy pictures are something belonging in the past: VHS.

Chris

parenthetical guy

I've been living out of the US for the past seven years. I needed at DVD player to play my Region 2s (love that Region 2 Memento with the "plays in sequence" easter egg!). I went to codefreedvd.com and ordered a Daewoo model whatever. The machine was cheaply priced and is actually a nice machine -- I don't know if there is any actual hardware differences (there are posts about some "chip") -- but DVD player came with a sheet to hack into the setup mode and select any region (or all regions).

Is works and tastes great on my US NTSC TV and my UK PAL TV.
"We really shook the pillars of Heaven, didn't we Wang?"