Spy Kids 3-D - Once Upon A Time In Mexico

Started by MacGuffin, February 11, 2003, 11:46:44 AM

©brad

RegularKarate

I work in downtown Austin and we recently got an email about street closures this Sunday.  Evidently they're closing a large chunk of downtown (on Congress st.) all day for filming.

I'm gonna show up and watch, but I'm debating whether or not I want to take my camera and look obnoxious.

Before I got married, I decided to get an expensive haircut and ended up with the same stylist/barber who cuts Robert's son, Rebel's hair.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinTrailer for "Spy-Kids 3-D" here.
so, am i supposed to like this?

it's neat, i guess. stallone, haha that's fresh.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I saw this last night. It's definitely the weakest of the three Spy Kids movies, so if you didn't like the others, stay far far away. I really liked them, so this movie was tolerable, but the 3D was awful. It's the old school red-blue glasses technology, which makes everything look ugly and monochromatic, and its headache inducing as all hell. It was projected digitally with a hidef projector, and since it was shot in HD too, the 2D scenes looked almost 3D themselves. I'd have rather just watched the whole movie that way.

It was cool to see giant robots attacking downtown Austin, though.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ghostboy

It was cool to see giant robots attacking downtown Austin, though.

Awesome!

Yeah, I showed up for all the Downtown footage... took some pictures... until they asked me to leave.

I was actually supposed to go to the premier of this, but didn't go.  When did you see it?  And Where?

I was surprised to see what little downtown footage they used in the trailer looked so CGed that you could hardly tell they had ever been there.

It was cool to watch them gearing up the 3-D shit.  They had to callibrate the equipment using this cool neon cube.

Ghostboy

I saw it at a press screening in Dallas last night.

I know Rodriguez keeps finding ways to work around the low quality CG (last time it was a Harryhausen homage, this time it's a video game), and that's fine, but the first film was so great and it didn't rely nearly as much on CG. But it's all still fun. The giant robots look fake, but they've got a really cool design, and watching them climb over the capital building was just neat.

Man, when do we get to see Once Upon A Time In Mexico? I can't wait to see him get back to his roots.

Alethia

Quote from: GhostboyMan, when do we get to see Once Upon A Time In Mexico? I can't wait to see him get back to his roots.

right on

modage

yeah i really liked the first one.  but i agree.  the second one looked so fake, and the story wasnt nearly as involving, i got so bored i just started reading a magazine while my girlfriend finished watching it.  i was excited about the third one because i was reading about the "great NEW advances in 3D technology", so i thought this one might be fun, and atleast be cool 3D.  but hearing this is really disappointing.

also, really excited about OUATIM, but i had heard some bad advance word on this one too.  like, the reason it hasnt come out yet, is because it sucks. does anyone else know why its taking so long.  he finished it before he started spy3 and thats already coming out?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I heard the same thing...the buzz from the Austin test screening last fall was sort of quiet, although there were a few very positive reviews. But we shall see. That was a really rough assembly cut, and Rodriguez had to put the whole post process on hold while he shot Spy Kids 3.

There was originally supposed to be a trailer on Charlies Angels 2. That didn't happen, so I'm guessing it'll be on one of the big Sony movies in the next couple of months. That means either Bad Boys 2, SWAT or Underworld (or maybe Gigli, but I doubt it).

markums2k

So, is Rodriguez finally done with this Spy Kids shit?

I'm sorry.  I can't dig it like some of you guys seem to.  It's just utterly stupid to me, no matter how self-conscious or tongue-in-cheek it really is.  I'm not even sure I want to see anything ever again by Rodriguez.  I'll just sit here quietly and pretend he made more films like Desperado.

"You got something in the guitar case?"

mindfuck

Markums, you should really read Rebel Without A Crew if you get the chance. I used to feel the same way about Rodriguez going from indie god to hollywood kids movie bitch until I read his book. It really explains a lot about where he comes from and how he was pulled in to the whole indie thing. I still wish he hadn't gone the Spy Kids route, but at least now I understand why he did.

modage

good book.  pretty much every starting out filmmakers dream.  no expectations for debut film, which becomes unexpected festival hit and is acquired in major studio bidding war, only after being wooed in hollywood by every major studio with deals to distribute and make future movies/sequels.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Xixax

I can appreciate the Spy Kids movies for the simple fact that they're tolerable for adults. As a dad of three, it's really hard to find something that everyone can go see that doesn't cause mom and dad to claw their eyeballs out. Pixar can usually be counted on for a good time, but other times it's a crap shoot. MIB2 was so bad that I very nearly walked out. But the Spy Kids movies have had a certain amount of charm.

If for nothing else, for the Mike Judge sightings.

And Carla Giglio. MeeeeYOW!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Latino Review was alerted that the trailer that was shown on Entertainment Tonight from Robert Rodriguez's final installment in the El Mariachi movies is now online. The trailer will be attached with Bad Boys 2. Once Upon a Time in Mexico opens nationwide on Sept 12 and stars Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Johnny Depp, Willem Dafoe, Rubén Blades, Eva Mendes, and Mickey Rourke.

The saga of the mythic guitar-slinging hero, El Mariachi (Banderas), continues in Robert Rodriguez's bold, non-stop action epic "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". The new adventure is set against a backdrop of revolution and greed. Haunted and scarred by loss, El Mariachi has retreated into a life of isolation. He is forced out of hiding by Sands (Depp), a corrupt CIA agent. Sands recruits the reclusive hero to sabotage a plot by the evil cartel kingpin Barillo (Dafoe), who is planning to assassinate the president of Mexico. El Mariachi has his own reasons for returning - retribution and revenge. Now, together with his capable cohorts Lorenzo (Iglesias) and Fideo (Leonardi) the legend of El Mariachi attains new levels of excitement.

Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks