The Old Man And The Gun

Started by Reel, March 28, 2017, 11:54:38 AM

Reel

David Lowery's next bank robbery venture, based on a 2003 New Yorker article. Currently undergoing production in Ohio, which he's beginning to sporadically post on Instagram

An elderly bank robber, who had managed to escape from prison over a dozen times in his life before moving to a retirement community, looks to spice things up with another heist.

Cast:

Robert Redford
Casey Affleck
Elisabeth Moss
Sissy Spacek
Tika Sumpter
Tom Waits
Isiah Whitlock Jr.

Would anyone happen to have access to the article? I'm considering buying a subscription to read it.

jenkins

not only ohio but southern ohio, a.k.a. exactly where i'm from. literally wrote a book about it. so that feels cool in that way that it does.

here's what i have from the article, let's get it all and post it like animals

QuoteThe Old Man and the Gun

Grann, David, The New Yorker

Just before Forrest Tucker turned seventy-nine, he went to work for the last time. Although he was still a striking-looking man, with intense blue eyes and swept-back white hair, he had a growing list of ailments, including high blood pressure and burning ulcers. He had already had a quadruple bypass, and his wife encouraged him to settle into their home in Pompano Beach, Florida, a peach-colored house on the edge of a golf course which they'd purchased for their retirement. There was a place nearby where they could eat prime rib and dance on Saturday nights with other seniors for $15.50 a person, and even a lake where Tucker could sit by the shore and practice his saxophone.

But on this spring day in 1999, while his neighbors were on the fairway or tending to their grandchildren, he drove to the Republic Security Bank in Jupi- ter, about fifty miles from his home. Tucker, who took pride in his appearance, was dressed all in white: white pants with a sharp crease, a white sports shirt, white suede shoes, and a shimmering white ascot.

He paused briefly in front of the A.T.M. and pulled the ascot up around his face, bandit style. He then reached into a canvas bag, took out an old U.S. Army Colt .45, and burst into the bank. He went up to the first teller and said, "Put your money on the counter. All of it."

He flashed the gun so that everyone could see it. The teller laid several packets of fives and twenties on the counter, and Tucker inspected them for exploding dye packs. Checking his watch, he turned to the next teller and said, "Get over here. You, too."

Then he gathered up the thick packets--more than five thousand dollars--and hurried to the door. On his way out, he looked back at the two tellers. "Thank you," he said. "Thank you."

He drove to a nearby lot, where he had left a "safe" car, a red Grand Am that couldn't be traced to him. After wiping down the stolen "hot" car with a rag, he threw his belongings inside the Grand Am. They included a .357 Magnum, a sawed-off .30 carbine, two black nylon caps, a holster, a can of Mace, a pair of Smith & Wesson handcuffs, two rolls of black electrical tape, a po- lice badge, five AAA batteries, a po- lice scanner, a glass cutter, gloves, and a fishing cap. There was also a small bottle of medicine for his heart. No one seemed to notice him, and he went home, making what appeared to be a clean getaway.

After a brief stop to count the money, he got back in the car and headed out again. As he approached the golf course, the bills neatly stacked beside him, he noticed an unmarked car on his tail. He turned onto another street, just to make sure. There it was again. Then he spotted a police car pulling out behind him. He hit the gas as hard as he could, trying to outmaneuver them, turning left, then right, right, then left. He went past the North Pompano Baptist Church and the Kraeer Funeral Home, past a row of pink one-story houses with speedboats in the driveways, until he found himself on a dead-end street. As he spun around, he saw that a police car was barricading the road. One of the officers, Captain James Chinn, was reaching for his shotgun. There was a small gap between Chinn's car and a wooden fence, and Tucker, his body pitched forward in his seat, sped toward it. Chinn, who had spent almost two decades as a detective, later said he had never seen anything like it: the white-haired figure barrelling toward him seemed to be smiling, as if he were enjoying the showdown. Then, as the car skidded over the embankment, Tucker lost control and hit a palm tree. The air bags inflated, pinning him against the seat.

The police were stunned when they realized that the man they had apprehended was not only seventy-eight years old--he looked, according to Chinn, "as if he had just come from an Early Bird Special"--but one of the most notorious stickup men of the twentieth century. Over a career that spanned more than six decades, he had also become perhaps the greatest escape artist of his generation, a human contortionist who had broken out of nearly every prison he was confined in. ...

jenkins

imdb:

Directed by
David Lowery

Writing Credits 
David Grann   ...   (based on an article by)
David Lowery   ...   (screenplay)

Music by
Daniel Hart

Cinematography by
Joe Anderson (Simon Killer; 2nd unit ATBS)

Film Editing by
Lisa Zeno Churgin (Pete's Dragon)

Production Design by
Scott Kuzio (Christine, Listen Up Philip)

Carl Paoli   ...   stunt double: Tom Waits

imdb trivia says: Filmed in Dayton, Ohio a.k.a Gem City and the city i grew up next to. it's about an hour from Cincinnati, where i usually hear listed

jenkins

it still trips me out where this was shot. just what are the odds kind of thing. the world isn't so big after all kind of thing.

it's listed as "Completed" at imdb. Fox Searchlight has it. wiki has the release date as December 14, 2018. um is that a release date for oscar hopes? oh idk. here's an adorable news items about the movie

so okay that's been covered. when Strange Angel is arriving is what i want to know now, since i told my roommate that'll be the next tv show i'll watch with him. i have no idea when Strange Angel is arriving.

Drenk

I'm still hoping for a last minute announcement from Frémaux.

"Lars Von Trier...Persona Grata! and...David Lowery!"
Ascension.

jenkins

In Theaters September 28, 2018

Drenk

Niiiiiiice.

And here is the teaser poster:

Ascension.

Alethia

Jesus Christ that trailer brought tears to my eyes. It looks so wonderful in every way! Ghostboy you're a fucking legend.

jenkins

it's cool to me that his artistic reputation is flowering and that on top of that he has clear compatibility with the human condition, which is to say he has a kind heart. it feels good when good things happen to good people

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

I believe this had the same First AD as You Were Never Really Here, Thomas "Dutch" Deckaj (sp?) Nice dude with a great gnarly beard with whom I once shared a brief but joyous burst of Nick Cave enthusiasm which he likely wouldn't remember but clearly meant a lot to me. Color this my new most anticipated of 2018.

Ravi

Cannot wait to see that. And what a great trailer too.

Neil

Very pumped for this, and I have a wild anecdote to boot,

Sometime in mid-2016, I met this guy at an open mic that I host, and he said his name was Nate Lowery. He's a great songwriter/performer etc, and he mentioned that he moved here from Texas.
Throughout the time I've known him, he's mentioned that his brother is a filmmaker, but we never really got too far into that, we'd just end up discussing specific films or music.

Anyhow, fast forward to today, and Nate posted on FB, "check out my brother's new film coming out soon."

Turns out he's Ghostboy's brother. Wild.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Unbelievable. Ghostboy is killing it.

But wait is no one going to talk about those whip-pans!? What kind of PTA fan site is this?