God

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 01, 2003, 04:30:22 AM

Cecil

so what youre saying is to be honest, you must say that god had something to do with the ending? sorry, i thought we all had different opinions

ono

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManOK someone answer me this, why did he fill his film with 8's and 2's

and why did he do it in such a subversive fashion

like he was trying to slip it in

all i know is the guy who wrote that film would rather hear bob dylan talk about why he found jesus, then hear godardian talk about why he is a agnostic

who disagrees wit me on this last fact ?
He filled his film with 8s and 2s because he found out about the Biblical connection during production, and wanted to work it in the film.  That's why you see audience members of WDKK? holding up signs saying Exodus 8:2.

Cecil

from gregs site, a q&a with pta:

Q: The film has obvious biblical overtones, and I noticed in at least a few scenes signs embossed with "Exodus 8:2."

A: Yeah, there's more than that. There's many, many more. I bet you could probably spot a hundred. Exodus 8:2 (describes) the plague of frogs in the Bible. The funny thing is, my reasons for using the plague of frogs aren't exactly biblical. I didn't even know it was in the Bible until after I wrote the script. The rain of frogs is something that really happens. Did you know that? It's a true thing.

Q: So did you go back and include the beacons of Exodus 8:2?

A: No. Right after I got done writing the script I found out it was in the Bible. So then I became very interested in looking at the Bible and figuring out what it meant there. I just thought it was a fun directorial, bored-on-the-set thing to do, to plant 8:2s all over the place.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cecil b. dementedwhat you call divine intervention, i call a freak occurence. whether im playing blind man or not is yet to be seen.

your quoteing pulp fiction

and in the end of that film, jules was right and vincent was wrong

and he paid the price for it

all im saying is these great writters are giving us more to think about then people like jessica simpson who go on tv and say they love jesus because its good for their image

jessica simpson is no differnt then cecil

she says loves god because its good for her image, cecil does not think god exists because its good for his image

but just because of jessica simpson, we shouldnt dis credit people like bob dylan or maybe qt and pta

Cecil

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManjessica simpson is no differnt then cecil

she says loves god because its good for her image, cecil does not think god exists because its god for his image

im sorry, cbrad. but THIS is waaaay funnier than your xixax adventures

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManOK someone answer me this, why did he fill his film with 8's and 2's

and why did he do it in such a subversive fashion

like he was trying to slip it in

all i know is the guy who wrote that film would rather hear bob dylan talk about why he found jesus, then hear godardian talk about why he is a agnostic

who disagrees wit me on this last fact ?
He filled his film with 8s and 2s because he found out about the Biblical connection during production, and wanted to work it in the film.  That's why you see audience members of WDKK? holding up signs saying Exodus 8:2.

he thought it was cool that the bible had a thing  in it that reflected what he was trying to get across

he would not have put the 8 and 2's in other wise

out of fear that his film would misunderstood

if i wrote something that had nothing to do with a quote from somewhere

i would just dissmiss it as a coincidence

what he did was wrap the 8 and 2's around the film like a fucking quilt

he bathed the film in it

like a arab disco dancer baths himself in cologne

and i ask you could this all be a coincidence ???

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManjessica simpson is no differnt then cecil

she says loves god because its good for her image, cecil does not think god exists because its god for his image

im sorry, cbrad. but THIS is waaaay funnier than your xixax adventures

my typeing is fucked but point is valid

both of your opinions on god are shallow

you and jess

children with angels

We ARE being honest and speaking up. This film deeply moves me - as I'm sure it moves everyone else posting here - I'm just trying to explain why. I've said what I think about it. It's ambiguous, for Christ's sake. I too am an agnostic who really wants to believe in God and at this point in my life just can't - I feel your pain, Santa. Magnolia however doesn't give a straight 'answer'. It gives hope certainly - that's what the ending is all about. I don't want to say that it doesn't matter whether it's God who sends the frogs, because that makes it sound smaller than it is: it DOES matter, but I think the point is WE DON'T KNOW. I think the film in this way is very much a film for agnostics: this amazing thing happens: no one in the movie can believe it, they've lost faith. Except Stanley ("This happens. This is something that happens"): he's a child, and innocent, and, no: it is not dangerous to confuse with angels. It may be a confusion - angels may not exist, God may not exist, frogs may not come from Him, we don't know. It's a film about the hope, the faith in retaining innocence through the sins of man. Whether or not this innocence is also ignorance is a key theme, and a question that I think is raised, but not answered, in the film. Magnolia doesn't know the answers but it comes out on the side of hope anyway because it reatains some innocence. That's what the movie is about for me. That was kind of muddled - sorry. Hope I've communicated okay though.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Jon

Quotehe thought it was cool that the bible had a thing  in it that reflected what he was trying to get across

he would not have put the 8 and 2's in other wise

out of fear that his film would misunderstood

I don't think he would have feared that.

Quoteif i wrote something that had nothing to do with a quote from somewhere

i would just dissmiss it as a coincidence

You aren't PTA, though, and you didn't say "I just thought it was a fun directorial, bored-on-the-set thing to do, to plant 8:2s all over the place."

Quotewhat he did was wrap the 8 and 2's around the film like a fucking quilt

he bathed the film in it

like a arab disco dancer baths himself in cologne

He also wrapped it with chance, coincidence, etc; the 82's just give it yet another dimension.

Quoteand i ask you could this all be a coincidence ???

Yes. Things like this happen all the time.

Cecil

yes, you are 100% right, santa.

anyway, have you heard the requiem for a dream commentary, where aronofsky explains that they put many references to california in the script to make their going there more believable to the audience?

children i think your  fine, and i dunno if you got this from what i was expressing

but im a agnostic too, but ya know i think there is more here then some people want to except

some people who hate the film call the ending a cop out

i dont think so

and i do not think the 8 and 2's was a ironic thing, or just something put in for fun

he wouldnt do that, because it would short change his message if his message was something other then what was being expressed in that part of the bible

i think he did not know it was in the bible, and as soon as he found out it was he was giddy

and he threw those in the film for a reason

and that alone is my point that maybe god is not all bad, just because a lot of assholes like him does not mean its his fault

maybe jesus was a cool dude

and again i have to say when a rock star find jesus he is called a weirdo and yet when he finds Buddah he is called deep and introspective

why is that ? is that not wrong ?

and for pta to throw in a pro god message to his film, knowing how un cool it would look in front of some people

none of us fucking know for sure anything except this

so far this is the best magnolia disscusion this group has had

and that is kind of cool

Jon

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMansome people who hate the film call the ending a cop out

i dont think so

But we all (well, a good amount of us, and us here talking to you) love it. I don't think any of us think it's a cop out.

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManand i do not think the 8 and 2's was a ironic thing, or just something put in for fun

he wouldnt do that, because it would short change his message if his message was something other then what was being expressed in that part of the bible

There were many messages.

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManand he threw those in the film for a reason

Of course he did.

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManand for pta to throw in a pro god message to his film, knowing how un cool it would look in front of some people

How do you know he even thought once about it? It's His Film, that's what he likes, to put little things in there---I feel like we're repeating ourselves...

well jon i do remember sticking up for your point of view

still do

and i never said anyone here thinks its a cop out, but somepeople who saw it did say that

and by the way if he did mean the film to have this big god thing to it, he would not admit it out right

because the way he filmed it, it was meant to be subversive and ambiguis

other wise he would of done it in a tounge  in cheek ironic way

again all i ever said was " Maybe"

and thats the best part about it.

children with angels

Santa, you have such a paranoia about being a cliche. Everyone who's opinion you disagree with is trying to look cool or help their image in some way... That's a sad and cynical way to look at life. I agree: you are not a cliche - I'm still trying to work you out, and yet I'm becoming able to predict exactly what your opinion will be on subjects: it will be to disregard anyone who opposes you, and disregard them as being a pretender. I don't think anyone here is trying to help their image or look cool: this is sincerely what people believe - you just have to listen to them, hear them out at least: or else intolerance is going to become your cliche.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/