best performances 2002

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 09, 2003, 08:45:40 AM

Jeremy Blackman

ACTOR: Adam Sandler (PDL), Jack Nicholson (About Schmidt), Nicholas Cage (Adaptation), George Clooney (Solaris)

ACTRESS: Meryl Streep (Adaptation), Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven)

SUP ACTOR: Philip Seymour Hoffman (PDL), Chris Cooper (Adaptation), Darío Grandinetti (Talk to Her), David Duchovny (Full Frontal), Dennis Quaid (Far From Heaven)

SUP ACRESS: Emily Watson (PDL), Viola Davis (Solaris), Catherine Keener (Full Frontal)

This year was disappointing with the lack of great female performances... especially since two of the best performances ever were just made by Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive) and björk (Dancer in the Dark).

ksmc

I agree, except that I would add Daniel Day-Lewis for his performance in "Gangs of New York."
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

MacGuffin

I'm just glad that Diane Lane is getting some award recognition for "Unfaithful."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Totally agree. I just saw Unfaithful for the first time the other night, and I was blown away. Terrific film and really terrific performance by Diane Lane. The scene w/ her on the train was great. I was surprised because the only thing I had seen her in before this was in The Perfect Storm, and I did not care much for her performance, thought she was overacting.

I think this has been a great year for women in roles, two films that first come to mind; Far From Heaven and The Hours, chock full of great female performances dude. Todd Haynes, by the way, is amazing.

GodDamnImDaMan

God Damn Im Da Man's picks!

ACTOR: Vin Diesel(XXX) I mean come on you guys! No other ape could have grunted, "The things im gonna do for my country" any better!  

ACTRESS: Kathy Bates (That fucking Schdmit movie) Training hippo's the do naked scenes is hard work! Hey! Any film where i get to see Kathie Bates naked is okay with me!  

[/b]
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

bonanzataz

GOD DAMN, I am Da man! WHAT THE SHIT IS YOUR GLITCH?! Don't ever try to fix it (your glitch, I mean).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Samantha Morton's performance in Minority Report convinced me she is my favorite actress working today. She has such a control over the physical movement of her body that is unbelievable. Watching her perform in really desperate scenes and seeing her body twitch and move the way it did prolly was more convincing than any other performance this year because if you could ever ask the normal person if they had ever seen a movie where someone in it really just didn't seem like an actor, it may be her performance because everyone I know never could identify her character as someone playing just a character at all. It really was a different experience.

Also similiar feelings for Sandler in how he achieved through physical acting everywhere the sense of what made this man really tick. I'm not a fan of a character speaking who they are at all. Sandler's acting was just the physical things this man went through and it was through his actions that I realized it was a character study of who he was and since the movie was a love story with a female character not built up at all, it was only our role to insert ourself into her role and find why we are in love with this man.

I also really attacked Gangs of New York in another forum but the movie is still well worth the ticket of admission for the dominance Daniel Day Lewis has over the character of Bill The Butcher. It was a scary performance in every single way and truly one of the best performances of the year. Again also, Amanda's Peet's heartbreaking 2 minute speech during Changing Lanes is worth a nod for her come Oscar time even if I suspect a lot of people forgot about that performance.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

Sandler or Daniel Day Lewis as best actor. I would probably go with Sandler because he was so fragile and every single movement was on point with it.

soixante

Best Actor:  Daniel Day-Lewis.  Runner-up:  Greg Kinnear, Auto Focus.  Also noteworthy:  Jack Nicholson; Nicolas Cage; Kieran Culkin, Igby Goes Down; Robin Williams, One Hour Photo.

Best Actress:  Julianne Moore, Far From Heaven (I haven't seen Chicago, The Hours or Unfaithful).  Runner-up:  Jennifer Aniston, The Good Girl.

Best Supporting Actor:  Chris Cooper, Adaptation.  Runner-up:  John C. Reilly, Gangs of NY/The Good Girl.  Honorable mention:  Nicky Katt, Full Frontal; Russell Sams, Rules of Attraction.

Best Supporting Actress:  Meryl Streep, Adaptation.  Runner-up:  Samantha Morton, Minority Report (she's a great actress who's about to break through into the big time).
Music is your best entertainment value.

oakmanc234

ACTOR- Adam Sandler (PDL): Its just such a classic performance that may be remebered for years to come. He was sweet, weird, timid, intimidating and ultimately sympathetic-all in one. Barry Egan is the best example of a 'cult character' since Travis Bickle (I'm so glad that PTA and Sandler met).
The rest:
Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs): So nasty & repulsive yet you couldn't take your eyes off him.
Jack Nicholson (Schmidt): He portayed a boring man with a boring life in the most exciting way. A sad old man that I just loved.
Nic Cage (Adaptation): I loved his Kaufman twins. Loved 'em.
Robin Williams (Photo): Creepy, disturbed and....saddening.

ACTRESS-This is gonna sound sexist as hell, but I haven't seen any female performances that really blew me away this year. I haven't seen 'The Hours' or 'Frida'. I didn't care much for the girls of 'Chicago' (maybe I just didn't like that film, period). I thought Diane Lane in 'Unfaithful' was excellent though. I also liked Samantha Morton in 'Minority".
So yeah, Lane gets my vote.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

polkablues

I'm going to be really original here.  Diane Lane and Samantha Morton.  And Jude Law in "Road to Perdition", even though he didn't have much to do.  Jude Law's very presence in a movie instantly makes it better.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sigur Rós

Quote from: polkabluesI'm going to be really original here.  Diane Lane and Samantha Morton.  And Jude Law in "Road to Perdition", even though he didn't have much to do.  Jude Law's very presence in a movie instantly makes it better.

Couldn't agree more about Jude Law. He really is fantastic. In my opinion his best performance so far was in The Talented Mr. Ripley. He really played the role of Dickie perfect. Would be great in a Scorsese-film....nahh would be good in any film :-D

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkabluesJude Law's very presence in a movie instantly makes it better.

Example: Gattaca.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: polkabluesJude Law's very presence in a movie instantly makes it better.

Example: Gattaca.

A.I.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks