Some classic directors

Started by Chest Rockwell, December 28, 2003, 07:25:07 PM

cine

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut a perfect list by ebeaman.....

Except for not enough Billy Wilder.

Sunset Blvd kicks ass.
As does The Apartment... and Double Indemnity... and Love in the Afternoon... and the Seven Year Itch... and Witness for the Prosecution... and Sabrina... and Stalag 17... and The Lost Weekend... and the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes... and do I have to go on?

Also, this thread is not complete without Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons.

Alethia

lost weekend is my favorite wilder, and magnificent abersons is one of the welles films i have not seen....  :(

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Chest RockwellSunset Blvd kicks ass.
As does The Apartment... and Double Indemnity... and Love in the Afternoon... and the Seven Year Itch... and Witness for the Prosecution... and Sabrina... and Stalag 17... and The Lost Weekend... and the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes... and do I have to go on?

Yes, until you mention "The Fortune Cookie".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Alethia

don't forget spirit of st. louis or avanti! either, quite good IMO

cine

We listed 12 Wilder films and you're telling us not to forget some...

Alethia

Pubrick

don't forget the fortune cookie.
under the paving stones.

soixante

Don't forget Fedora, Front Page and Buddy Buddy.
Music is your best entertainment value.

godardian

Quote from: Pdon't forget the fortune cookie.

Oh my god... I LOVE The Fortune Cookie!!!! Some of the stylistic flourishes are so prescient of New Wave, and it's just a great, breezy, charming picture. Good one.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut a perfect list by ebeaman.....

Except for not enough Billy Wilder.

Yea, sorry about that, I was trying to stick to movies I had actually seen, I'm ashamed to say that that's the only one I've seen by Wilder unfortunately. There's no doubt in my mind all his other movies are great, I just didn't want to lie and list them for the sake of looking smarter or more knowledgeable than I really am, I figured I'd just be truthful about it. I don't pretend to be an expert after all.

Thanks Neon by the way, "perfect" is a strong word. Glad you think that.

By the way, I just want to formally add "Bob the Gambler" (Melville) to the list rathering than just editing my previous thread. I just blind bought it earlier today, just finished watching it minutes ago and my god, it may be one of my top 5 favorite films out of all the ones that I listed! It's that good! It's charm and beauty is that immediate, that I can already say this!  I can't wait to watch "The Red Circle".

modage

its so funny, i started the exact same thread when i was brand new here.  you can take a look at its quick death if you like...

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1605
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: themodernage02its so funny, i started the exact same thread when i was brand new here.  you can take a look at its quick death if you like...

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1605

Thanks. Not bad suggestions in there.

Shit. I still have to get those Hitchcock Criterions before they're out of print.