Some classic directors

Started by Chest Rockwell, December 28, 2003, 07:25:07 PM

ono

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Chest RockwellAnd I was seriously looking into Birth of a Nation (I had previously read about it years ago), but my older brother watched it in a history class and said it sucks, because its so...racist.

that's a kinda simplified and unfair summation....
Not really.  It sucks because it's not only sickeningly racist, but it's really, really boring.  One of the worst ever in my opinion, and if D.W. Griffith didn't come up with the so-called revolutionary techniques of that film, someone else would.  They're that basic.  So, the film doesn't really deserve to be revered at all.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Chest RockwellAnd I was seriously looking into Birth of a Nation (I had previously read about it years ago), but my older brother watched it in a history class and said it sucks, because its so...racist.

that's a kinda simplified and unfair summation....

Yea, well...I guess my brother isn't exactly the best role model as far as movie-buffs go

Ernie

Here's an excerpt from a Coen Bros interview briefly denouncing "The Birth of a Nation", Joel might be kidding but you can never be sure with those guys. This is one of the main reason I haven't sought out the film...this and all the talk of racist overtones in it. But such a bad reaction from one of America's best filmmaker's is enough for me to ignore it right now. I'll stick with FW Murnau, he's not racist.

Q: Have you ever walked out of a film?

TOGETHER: Oh yeah!
JOEL: "Birth Of A Nation", that's one boring movie, man.

SoNowThen

Scorsese seems to think it's important...

here's a snippet from a review by the fellow at dvdmoviecentral:

you have to take it for what it is, and the time period it came out of. For better or worse, a film like this could only have been made in the freedom of pre-studio system Hollywood. It happens to be one of the greatest examples of storytelling on film ever made, that just happens to have a disturbing point of view. There's no reason to view a picture made in 1915 as politically topical in today's world. In fact, even though the Klan of the teens and twenties used this picture as a rallying point, both Griffith and novelist Dixon publicly and loudly denounced them, and Griffith in his own writings expressed sorrow and hurt over the fact that people, especially African Americans, considered him a racist.

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

birth of a nation..you have to see it...it's definitly worth a view no matter who you are

Alethia

cine

I'm shocked that Birth of a Nation is getting such negative remarks. If you're into film history at ALL, its a must. A MUST. You don't turn it down because its racist. That's all the more reason to watch the film - to see how the African Americans were perceived. This is one of the greatest films ever made. For anyone to say a 3 hour + Griffith epic from 1915 is boring, well I can safely assume that's not the film's fault.  :roll:
Everyone do themselves a favour and purchase Kino's Griffith Masterworks Set.

Chest Rockwell

Any recommendations on the DVD edition or anything from where I can get Birth of a Nation?

Slick Shoes

I really think everybody should see this. Fuck whether it's entertaining or not -- the fact of the matter is that this is an important film and you need to have an opinion about it. D.W. Griffith was a visionary who also happened to be a racist. Sure somebody else would have broken ground the way he did eventually, but that's not the point.

Pubrick

jesus christ, some ppl just don't know shit about movies.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellAny recommendations on the DVD edition or anything from where I can get Birth of a Nation?
Buy it here.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ebeamanFRANKENHEIMER -- The Manchurian Candidate

.and Seconds......or whatever the name is.......

but a perfect list by ebeaman.....

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut a perfect list by ebeaman.....

Except for not enough Billy Wilder.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: ebeamanFRANKENHEIMER -- The Manchurian Candidate

.and Seconds......or whatever the name is.......

another frankenheimer essential would be Reindeer Games..... :lol:

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut a perfect list by ebeaman.....

Except for not enough Billy Wilder.

Sunset Blvd kicks ass.