Matrix gone too far?

Started by Banky, April 30, 2003, 09:54:28 PM

Gold Trumpet

Banky

I heard Carry Ann Moss is going nude.  anyone else heard this?

MacGuffin

Matrix films blamed for series of murders by obsessed fans
The Guardian

One of the attractions of The Matrix, the film whose sequel, The Matrix Reloaded was its blending of fantasy and reality. A series of murders in the United States suggests some people have been unable to distinguish between the two.

Josh Cooke, a 19-year-old in Oakton, Virginia, owned a trenchcoat like the one worn by Neo, the character played by Keanu Reeves in the movie, and kept a poster of his hero on his bedroom wall. Then he bought a gun similar to the one used by Neo to fight evil.

In February, he shot his father and mother in the basement of their home and then called the police. His lawyers say he believed that he was living inside the Matrix.

The theme of the films is that computers have taken over the earth, although some humans exist in a computer-simulated world, battling to save humanity. "He's just obsessed with it," Cooke's defence attorney, Rachel Fierro, told the Washington Post.

The local prosecutor, Robert Horan, said: "I don't think the movie causes violence. Millions and millions of people have seen it and not killed anybody." Cooke will now be examined by a psychiatrist.

The Matrix seems to have spawned other imitators. Last week in Ohio, a woman was found not guilty of killing the professor whose house she rented, on the grounds of insanity. Tonda Lynn Ansley, 37, said she had had dreams which turned out not to be dreams. The local prosecutor said that, "in her warped perception", the film played a part in the killing.

In San Francisco in 2000, Vadim Mieseges, 27, killed his landlady, Ella Wong, and pleaded not guilty on grounds of insanity. The police who interviewed him said he had made "reference to being sucked into the Matrix".

The young man accused of taking part in last year's sniper attacks in the Washington area has also cited the film.

"Free yourself of the Matrix," wrote Lee Boyd Malvo, 18, one of the two defendants, in his jail cell.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Sleuth

That reminds me of the scene when Neo called the police on himself
I like to hug dogs

sphinx

hahaha wouldn't it be funny if we were actually all inside the matrix and the movies were being put out as propaganda by the machines to make it that much less of a possibility that we are in the matrix?  joel silver is a machine

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinxhahaha wouldn't it be funny if we were actually all inside the matrix and the movies were being put out as propaganda by the machines to make it that much less of a possibility that we are in the matrix?  joel silver is a machine

"That sounds exactly like the thinking of a machine to me."

:2gunfire:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks