PTA on Independent Focus...

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 06, 2003, 10:50:01 PM

j_scott_stroup04

Who caught PTA on Independent Focus this morning?  It was an inteview that was about 3-4 years old, but it was still cool as fuck.   I was laughing my ass off, and in tune to everything he had say (as usual; I tend to forget about Boogie Nights or Hard Eight if I'm watching it with the commentary on.)  

For some fuckin' reason, he is soooooo inspirational to me in every possible way.  I'm sure about 200 guys that visit this forum can say about the same thing.  

Anyway, the interview fuckin' rocked, and I taped it so I watched it twice.

Just a closing note (off the subject, but oh well): I work at a movie store, and I get, on average, at least 2 people tell me how "stupid" Punch-Drunk Love is.  Just today I had....I think it was a total of 4 people say that it "didn't make sense", or that they "had to shut it off, because it sucked so bad" or "they didn't get it."  I swear, if this shit continues, I will explode by the end of the month.  My usual response is just a "that's too bad, because if DID get it, then you would know what you're missing."  I also like to ask them why it's "stupid", because they ALWAYS always always follow it with a "it just is."  
The owner of the movie store's friend said that Punch-Drunk Love was a "waste of film", and I told her it was the 2nd best film of the last 4 years, and she said that it's a "loser movie."  I just stopped talking after that, because it pissed me off.

Anyway, sorry to bore whoever reads this.....I'll let you continue on with your daily lives without my complications getting in your way....
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

Stefen

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04Who caught PTA on Independent Focus this morning?  It was an inteview that was about 3-4 years old, but it was still cool as fuck.   I was laughing my ass off, and in tune to everything he had say (as usual; I tend to forget about Boogie Nights or Hard Eight if I'm watching it with the commentary on.)  

For some fuckin' reason, he is soooooo inspirational to me in every possible way.  I'm sure about 200 guys that visit this forum can say about the same thing.  

Anyway, the interview fuckin' rocked, and I taped it so I watched it twice.

Just a closing note (off the subject, but oh well): I work at a movie store, and I get, on average, at least 2 people tell me how "stupid" Punch-Drunk Love is.  Just today I had....I think it was a total of 4 people say that it "didn't make sense", or that they "had to shut it off, because it sucked so bad" or "they didn't get it."  I swear, if this shit continues, I will explode by the end of the month.  My usual response is just a "that's too bad, because if DID get it, then you would know what you're missing."  I also like to ask them why it's "stupid", because they ALWAYS always always follow it with a "it just is."  
The owner of the movie store's friend said that Punch-Drunk Love was a "waste of film", and I told her it was the 2nd best film of the last 4 years, and she said that it's a "loser movie."  I just stopped talking after that, because it pissed me off.

Anyway, sorry to bore whoever reads this.....I'll let you continue on with your daily lives without my complications getting in your way....

Yeah I saw the indie focus around the time Magnolia came out. Havent seen it since. PTA is a great speaker and speaks with a sense of humor you would never expect by the movies he makes. I wish I would have known it was on. Would have loved to see it again. Does anyone know if he has ever appeared on Charlie Rose or if there is a transcript anywhere?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenDoes anyone know if he has ever appeared on Charlie Rose or if there is a transcript anywhere?

http://ptanderson.com/articlesandinterviews/pdl/rose.htm

http://ptanderson.com/articlesandinterviews/charlierose.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: StefenDoes anyone know if he has ever appeared on Charlie Rose or if there is a transcript anywhere?

http://ptanderson.com/articlesandinterviews/pdl/rose.htm

http://ptanderson.com/articlesandinterviews/charlierose.htm

MacGuffin, you are good!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04
Just a closing note (off the subject, but oh well): I work at a movie store, and I get, on average, at least 2 people tell me how "stupid" Punch-Drunk Love is.

Wauv, I don't think it's like that at all in Denmark. Everybody I know, Sandler fans or not, loved it. Well I guess the average-american just dont get real film art  :wink:

Alethia

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Just a closing note (off the subject, but oh well): I work at a movie store, and I get, on average, at least 2 people tell me how "stupid" Punch-Drunk Love is.

Wauv, I don't think it's like that at all in Denmark. Everybody I know, Sandler fans or not, loved it. Well I guess the average-american just dont get real film art  :wink:

sadly, its true

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04I work at a movie store, and I get, on average, at least 2 people tell me how "stupid" Punch-Drunk Love is.

People say the same thing about Lost Highway. Ignore them.

Gamblour.

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Sigur Rós

sadly, its true
Maybe the Dutch are just snobs and sciolists that like anything that could be seen as artistic. Or maybe Americans are dumb.
WWPTAD?

Alethia