Leviathan

Started by wilder, August 29, 2014, 12:34:01 PM

wilder

A present day social drama spanning multiple characters about the human insecurity in a "new country" which gradually unwinds to a mythological scale concerning the human condition on earth entirely.

Directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev (Elena, The Return)
Written by Andrey Zvyagintsev and Oleg Negin
Starring Aleksey Serebryakov, Vladimir Vdovichenkov, and Roman Madyanov
Release Date - December 31, 2014

Pwaybloe

I just learned this movie is based on the Book of Job, so count me in. I'm not exactly sure how faith will be handled; or examined at all. Regardless, and as a Christian, I try to seek out faith based cinema that's not pure garbage. Recently, I've been out of luck, so I'm happy to be proven wrong. Please.

wilder

UK blu-ray from Artificial Eye on January 12, 2015

Mel

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

max from fearless

I've seen this and while I thought it was good, there was a better movie to be made here. Obviously I don't want to spoil it, but there's a character in this who lights up the screen, just burns it up. Every moment there on screen the movie becomes even more alive, dangerous and beautifully wild than it was before. The story as it is, avoids a direct boxing match between the main protagonist and this character, for a detour which is interesting (and explores the book of job stuff) but for me, it's no way as potent as the showdown the narrative avoids. Nonetheless, some great filmmaking here and well worth seeing and discussing.

wilder

jenkins

thanks for these btw. i was most interested in this one because obviously a lot of cinema is used in the movie's making, so i liked seeing the script

Axolotl

It was pretty good but I agree with max about the potential.

The most admirable thing about this film is the fact that they got the Russian government to fund it.

wilder

Blu-ray from Sony on May 19, 2015