Why Hollywood is that boring??

Started by Vile5, September 26, 2003, 04:32:03 PM

Vile5

Why i feel the future of movies is not in Hollywood?
and i'm not talking about box-office success, i'm talking about art
today for example, i wanted to go to the cinema but all i have is Hollywood movies... boring!!
and i've realized that i'm so excited when a movie from Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, India, Mexico,etc, etc, is coming...but not from USA, i know masters like Scorsese, Coppola, Altman or young great filmmakers like PTA and a lot more are from USA but they don't work every year, and most of them have problems to find financing, i know that happens in all the world, yes, but why this must to happen in the Mecca of the film world ?, jesus! if that happen in Hollywood, where is the future so?
or what is the future??

i don't know, but i feel sad today, Robert Palmer is dead, i have flu, and there is not a good movie to watch today (and i don't like watch movies at home, just sometimes)
:(
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

mutinyco

Yes, it sucks that Robert Palmer died. But Hollywood has NEVER been about art. It's ALWAYS been about commerce.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pas

I like Hollywood ... but I have the flu too so I understand you

Cecil

Quote from: mutinycoHollywood has NEVER been about art. It's ALWAYS been about commerce.

exactly, but hollywood (the studios) used to be run by artists.

Gold Trumpet

And commerce for the Oscar niche and the chance of getting money off Oscar does result in aim for higher art.

~rougerum

mutinyco

When was that? Parallel universe? With the exception of maybe United Artists...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ProgWRX

there are worth while hollywood films... you just have to look hard enough
-Carlos

mutinyco

Of course there are. Plenty. It's just the town as a whole isn't interested in that. It's a town built around an industry.

-St. Joe

Ravi

Maybe you find Hollywood boring because they try to make their films appeal to as many people in as many cultures as possible.  With say, a Japanese film, the filmmakers aren't necessarily trying to appeal to audiences in Norway, so it is a unique experience to watch it.  Does this idea hold water or is it a bunch of hooey?

mutinyco

The way Hollywood works is very simple. The producers or investors want to be able to -- though distribution deals and foreign sales -- earn a profit before the film is even shot. They don't take risks. If they can't come up with the right equation they don't make it.

-St. Joe

ProgWRX

then their equations might not be working right because a lot of movies dont seem to be breaking even on the box office lately
:?
-Carlos

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vile5i have flu, and there is not a good movie to watch today (and i don't like watch movies at home, just sometimes)
:(

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=577
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: mutinycoWhen was that? Parallel universe?

i suppose it depends on what youre definition of "artist" is

phil marlowe

i dig hollywood alot. and what you critizise it fori can love it for.

thedog

I do agree Hollywood is more interested in making money than actually making films. But in my opinion independent films can be just as bad as Hollywood films. Worse even.