The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

mogwai

Quote from: Oh? on February 19, 2012, 10:40:28 PM
Saw Citizen Kane for the first time last week. Glad I waited.

Now, City of God.

I haven't seen Kane, Casablanca or Gone with the wind... yet.

Rooty Poots

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies or Godfather films. I'd like to see the latter, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I saw part of the first Lord of the Rings, and didn't care to see the rest of them.

Haven't watched any of the Terminator movies.

Haven't seen From Justin to Kelly yet, but I've preordered the upcoming director's cut from Criterion. Didn't care too much for the sequel, From Clay to Reuben, but maybe that's because I hadn't seen the first one yet.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

mogwai

Quote from: KLMNOP on February 28, 2013, 03:53:20 PMHaven't seen From Justin to Kelly yet, but I've preordered the upcoming director's cut from Criterion. Didn't care too much for the sequel, From Clay to Reuben, but maybe that's because I hadn't seen the first one yet.

Thanks for mentioning this. The team on "How did this get made" is talking about that one on their next podcast episode.

Reel

^^ awesome.

a funny one I just listened to recently is On The Line, the Nsync movie.

Lottery

Quote from: KLMNOP on February 28, 2013, 03:53:20 PM
Haven't seen From Justin to Kelly yet, but I've preordered the upcoming director's cut from Criterion. Didn't care too much for the sequel, From Clay to Reuben, but maybe that's because I hadn't seen the first one yet.

The IMDB summary is fantastic 'A lonely, sexually repressed man. A depressed woman. A summer camp. On this fateful night, they will meet... and their hearts will become one'.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Reelist on March 01, 2013, 09:29:50 AM
^^ awesome.

a funny one I just listened to recently is On The Line, the Nsync movie.

I fucking hate to admit this, but I secretly loved the hell out of Spice World when it came out. I haven't seen it since then, but I sorta want to try watching it again to see if it actually has any redeeming qualities or if my taste was really that terrible. All I really remember liking about it was how huge the bus was inside.

When I watch it again I'll post my thoughts in the Spice World thread.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

polkablues

You don't need to be embarrassed by that one. Spice World was actually pretty great.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Aw, man. If polka liked it that means I have to watch it now!

I wonder what movie I'm most embarassed to have seen. Probably Gigli, no movie has ever insulted my intelligence to such a degree. I can't believe that the writer/director Martin Brest actually had a small part in inspiring PTA's career with the character of Sydney in Midnight Run! Oh, I could go on... Best worst movie ever

BB

That could be an interesting thread too. Movies you're embarrassed to have seen. I mean, I'm sure we've all seen tons and tons of shit, but what movie makes you genuinely ashamed to have spent time with it?

One rule should be that you must have sat through the whole thing. Another might be that childhood viewing doesn't count on the basis that you shouldn't feel embarrassed about it.

Personally, I'd say LiTTLEMAN is probably the one. I saw it in theatres too. And I was, like, 19. It was a double date. The other guy didn't want to see Devil Wears Prada and, after much fuss, I offered to see whatever movie he wanted, just he and I. I barely knew him, but I had no reason to suspect he would choose LiTTLEMAN. 90-odd interminable minutes in stone silence with an audience of mostly fifth graders. Just miserable. Hating every movie that came before it for paving the way. Hating the double date motherfucker who passed out half-an-hour in. It wasn't even a double date anymore. I was now on a date with him. I should have left him sleeping and snuck across into Devil Wears Prada. But I just sat there and sat there and sat there. I couldn't even tell you why. I can't remember anything about the film itself. I know it's probably not THAT bad in the grand scheme, but it felt like something otherwordly while I was watching it. Coming out of that theatre, I couldn't look strangers in the eye.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are also a few arty films it pains me to say I've seen in their entirety. Begotten -- I watched at home and could've turned it off, but I didn't -- and Crispin Glover's films What Is It? and It Is Fine! Everything Is Fine. Particularly the former. Those I paid a premium to see, like $50 all in, which included the slideshow he does and a Q&A. Bought the tickets a month in advance too. Rearranged plans to see them. Saw the What Is It? presentation on a Friday. Felt like how elderly people must feel when they get scammed by telemarketers. Then went back again on Saturday for the exact same slideshow and Q&A (Crispin Glover's answers don't really match up to the questions asked) and It Is Fine!

Fool me once, Crispin...

jenkins

i didn't dislike whichever crispin glover movie i saw and with the same kind of presentation, but i was kind of baffled by the short stories he read (as in, wondered why they were being read*) and i walked out of his interminable q&a, which i only stayed so long into 'cause i paid probably whatever you paid (it was $25 per? can't remember). he kept explaining to people why he did something to some living creature, i can't-- oh, i think he killed a slug with foamy white something, or maybe the slug was foamy while it died. i wasn't worried about the slug tbh. i then elected not to return the following night. so, i'm relating, overall. def would compare it to one of those freakshows in the middle of the desert that's like five weird animals and a gift shop

*just reread your post and i think the short stories were slide shows, right? check out how memorable that was for me

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on March 02, 2013, 01:44:29 PM
You don't need to be embarrassed by that one. Spice World was actually pretty great.

I just ran across this wonderful Roger Ebert quote:

"The Spice Girls are easier to tell apart than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but that is small consolation: What can you say about five women whose principal distinguishing characteristic is that they have different names? They occupy Spice World as if they were watching it: They're so detached they can't even successfully lip-synch their own songs."

polkablues

That's kind of what I love about it. It's surprisingly punk rock.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

So the Glover things aren't too enjoyable?
I finally watched Rubin & Ed. CG and that movie had been in the back of my mind since seeing a description of the movie in a card game several years ago.
The director has a DVD for $25 on his site, but he won't respond when I ask about it.

CG seems interesting with the Letterman interviews, album, and repurposed books.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pas

Well i just watched pulp fiction after all.

It was not bad, though it definitely had all that annoying Quentin Tarantino dialogue. Ugh.

His only really good film is Jackie Brown when u think about it.

classical gas

I'm not embarrassed about this, but I have never seen Crash, and yet I still tell people that it sucks.  Is that okay?  I've read about it and seen the reviews and sample dialogue and a few scenes.  That's enough, isn't it?  Or should I just watch it so I can confidently tell people that it sucks?

ps--I usually don't prejudge movies like this, but I made an exception for this one.

edit--2004 Crash, not the other one.