Superman Returns

Started by MacGuffin, January 16, 2003, 10:28:43 AM

©brad

An anonymous scooper writes in to Latino Review about a possible Superman casting confirmation: "Apparently Brett Ratner is casting the role for the man of steel here in NYC, when all of a sudden who shows up but JOSH HARTNETT. Brett was amazed by his performance. Apparently impressed to the point where it's 99% certain that he will be the next man of steel!" The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Hartnett recently did a screen test.

life_boy

Why doesn't he just do a Psycho remake with Chris Tucker as Norman?

MacGuffin

Hartnett Rejects 'Superman' Deal

According to The Hollywood Reporter, it's back to the drawing board for Warner Bros. Pictures in its casting of "Superman".

Josh Hartnett, who tested for the project, has elected not to portray the Man of Steel, so a new trio of actors has emerged as top choices: Brendan Fraser, Paul Walker and newcomer Matthew Bomer, whose only credits include the daytime dramas "Guiding Light" and "All My Children."

Warners is trying to make test deals for the actors, with hopes of putting them in front of the camera sometime next week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

GO BRENDON FRASIER!!!

That would be great... it would ensure that these films are failures.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateGO BRENDON FRASIER!!!

That would be great... it would ensure that these films are failures.

I would like to see Superman a la George of the Jungle.

ProgWRX

Can anyone point out to this n00b here why everyone hates Rattner? I think he did a bit above *OK* job in Red Dragon, although I cant picture him doing a Superman movie...

:?
-Carlos

sphinx

i believe the motivation for the hate was from a multitude of things:

- his comments on pta and how he claimed his influences were transparent (ie 'i am cuba')
- his general attiude towards anything
- self-mockery in the pictures people take of him

the sphinx does not necessarily endorse these views, nor to these views reflect the sphinx in any way(s)

MacGuffin

CNN's profile of Ratner includes this quote:

"When I see movies by people my age like Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes, I can tell you which scenes in older movies they referenced for specific shots, whether it's Robert Downey Sr. or Robert Altman," Ratner said. "I'm very good at copying. When I made 'Rush Hour,' '48 Hours,' 'Midnight Run' and 'Beverly Hills Cop' helped me decide what to do."

Similar comments can be found in the latest issue of Premiere magazine:

"I can do cool shots all day long, but it doesn't matter if it isn't driving the story forward," he says. "Tone is really my job, and I'm really good at copying - getting influenced by something. The only thing I can learn from is watching other movies. Speilberg and Scorsese's influences are from a different era, but mine are the same as, say, Paul Thomas Anderson's." He starts speaking faster, and then the glasses begin to rattle, his bouncing knees knocking against the underside of the table.

"When I see Boogie Nights, I know 95 percent of what inspired him - Putney Swoope, for instance, or I can say, 'That Stedicam shot was right out of I Am Cuba,' and I love that! It's like I was born to do what I'm doing!" He pauses, and then adds, "You know, I was always jealous of Paul because he was like, 'I hung out with Kubrick and I'm friends with Jonathan Demme,' and I said, 'One day, I'm going to make a credible movie, and those guys are going to be my friends.' And the first three calls I got from Rush Hour were from Warren Beatty, Jonathan Demme, and fucking Roman Polanski! Filmmakers are not judging the genre. If you make a good film, they respect that."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ProgWRX

sounds like a bonafide tool  :roll:
-Carlos

©brad

03/07/03
Producer Jon Peters is getting antsy about the time it's taking to cast the Man of Steel, and he reportedly took it out on director Brett Ratner during a heated conversation on the Warner Bros. lot, according to The New York Post. A source told the paper, "It was a closed-door meeting, but you could hear them screaming at each other inside the office. At one point, Peters started belittling Ratner. He said, 'Oh, you think you're a big man now?' It got so bad that someone had to separate them."

fight! fight! fight! fight!

The story also says Warner Bros. execs are bummed that Josh Harnett turned down the role, as Jude Law and Ashton Kutcher did before him. Brendan Fraser, Paul Walker, Hayden Christensen and soap opera Matthew Bomer are said to remain in the running, while sources said Justin Timberlake is being sought to play Superman sidekick Jimmy Olsen and Felicity star Keri Russell for the part of Lois Lane. (The New York Post)

god help us all.

Ghostboy

This is just getting regoddamndiculous. Jerry O'Connell was quoted the other day saying that he is in the running as well. Jerry O'Connell!

They should just quietly halt pre production, find someone good and unknown, and take the time it takes to not risk becoming the laughing stock of millions of fans (again).

MacGuffin

Superman May Lose Its Director

With no actor yet chosen to play the title role in Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman time may be running out for the production as director Brett Ratner's option to helm expired Saturday, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Contrary to previous reports, Ratner was never pay or play on the comic book adaptation. It remains to be seen if it will be renewed or if the studio will part ways with the helmer and start anew.

Meanwhile, Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer, both of whom tested for the role, remain in contention.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Shit, that means Ratner will be wanting to do some other movie.

Recce

Man, I just read this thread for the first time. It really is ridiculous. And here I thought Brett Ratner was an ok guy. I saw a few interviews with him and he seemed so humble, worried about whether people would like 'Red Dragon', but after reading the other interview stuff, I don't think I like him anymore. He does come off as arrogant, doesn't he?

I agree they should just dump the project. I mean 'Brendan Fraser'? What the hell is that? I know its not sure, but if they're considering actors that don't even look like Superman, you know its gonna suck. And throwing millions of dollars at it won't help. Look at 'Daredevil'.

Quick question about related DC Comics stuff: I heard something about Darren Aronofski writing a Batman script. Anyone know anything on that?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

MacGuffin

Quote from: RecceQuick question about related DC Comics stuff: I heard something about Darren Aronofski writing a Batman script. Anyone know anything on that?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=238

Skeleton FilmWorks