The Fountain

Started by DavTMcGowan, April 28, 2003, 10:48:01 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

does anyone have a link to the script or synopsis of the Fountain?
thanks.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasdoes anyone have a link to the script or synopsis of the Fountain?
thanks.

http://aronofksy.tripod.com/newsarticle28.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hugh Jackman Eyes Aronofsky's Fountain
Source: Variety

There is new life in Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain, with Hugh Jackman starring instead of Brad Pitt and a smaller budget. The film was originally set for a Fall 2002 start on a $75 million budget. The project would now be budgeted between $35 million and $40 million.

Little is known about the story, says Variety. Originally the film followed its main character on a psychological journey set in the present, but with a plotline reaching centuries into both the past and the future. Among the themes explored are love, death and immortality.

Still at issue is roughly $18 million in pre-production costs incurred in prepping the first time around, adds the trade. Some of that money went toward sets built in Australia -- in some cases, for scenes not even in the latest script. A seven-figure sum was also owed to Blanchett, who had made a pay-or-play deal on the pic.

Aronofsky is also developing a live-action version of Lone Wolf and Cub, based on the Kazuo Koike-created samurai graphic novel collection, which is set up with Mutual Film at Paramount.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Wow, I wonder if Arronofsky developed a Coppola complex down there in Australia. Hopefully, the eventual DVD of the eventual film will have a good documentary on the aborted version.

Sleuth

This sounds good except the budget cut.  Didn't he say he really needed more to get it right?
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

hugh's a good choice.......at least he's classically trained and does broadway...
unlike pitt.......right?

and budget cuts suck....

modage

in the new EW, Hugh says about joining The Fountain "It's not 100 percent, but it is looking good."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Jackman Confirms Fountain Role

Hugh Jackman confirmed to SCI FI Wire that he will have a major role in Darren Aronofsky's on-again, off-again SF epic movie The Fountain. "I play three characters, and it's basically about the search for the Fountain of Youth," Jackman said in an interview while promoting his next movie, Van Helsing.

Jackman had high praise for writer/director Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream). "It is really an extraordinary [film]," he said. "I think Darren could become, in the final analysis, another Kubrick. I think he's an amazing director, and he's written a script that is just phenomenal. I'm honored to be a part of it, I really am; I'm very excited about it."

Brad Pitt was once attached to The Fountain, but dropped out. The movie was also delayed for a year when co-star Cate Blanchett got pregnant. Reports had suggested that the filmmaker was courting Jackman to replace Pitt.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Wow, yet another Kubrick comparison.  Just hope he can live up to the hype.  It's been too long since Requiem.  Hope that's not something he plans on sharing with Kubrick.

Sleuth

Quote from: MacGuffin"I play three characters, and it's basically about the search for the Fountain of Youth," Jackman said in an interview while promoting his next movie, Van Helsing.

Haha, after all that time that Darren said it wasn't about that
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Weisz takes sci-fi plunge in 'Fountain'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Rachel Weisz is jumping into "The Fountain."

The actress is on board to star opposite Hugh Jackman in the sci-fi pic being directed by Darren Aronofsky, who also is producing via his Protozoa Pictures shingle. Also producing are Protozoa partner Eric Watson. Regency Enterprises and Warner Bros. Pictures are co-financing.

Much of the story is being kept under wraps, but it is known that it follows one man's journey in the present as well as 500 years into the past and future, while dealing with the themes of love, death and immortality. Aronofsky wrote the screenplay with Ari Handel, who also is Protozoa's president.

Jackman coming on board in February resuscitated the project, which languished when Brad Pitt left in August 2002 after many delays.

Weisz steps into the role that Cate Blanchett was originally going to play when Pitt was still involved.

A November start date is planned.

The CAA-repped actress will be seen in the upcoming Warners film "Constantine." Her credits include "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns" as well as "About a Boy" and "The Shape of Things."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

looks like aronofskys digging through stephen sommers vets for his replacement cast.  curious.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

It would seem so, but in fact it makes perfect sense; they've been dating for a few years now, and I think are engaged.

Hopefully, he'll bring out the best in her; she's no Blanchett, but I've enjoyed her work now and then.

modage

steven sommers is engaged to darren aronofsky?!?! just wait till AICN gets a hold of this news!