The Dark Knight Rises

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:56 AM

Stefen

I think by this point Nolan is just fucking with Christian Bale. What a jerk.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on August 26, 2009, 03:02:11 PM
I have never seen a movie in imax. We don't have any within 300 miles of town. Are they really that different?

yes they are.  :therethere:

TDK on a normal screen felt like watching an old betamax, on imax it was pure bliss. havent seen yet a film so pristine.

MacGuffin

Batman 3 Decision Due in January?
Nolan and Co. rumoured to give offical update on sequel.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

Some news that we missed last week about a little-known comic book movie franchise called Batman.

Batman On Film reports that director Christopher Nolan and studio Warner Bros. will officially announce their plans for Batman 3 in January.

Their scooper told the site: "The longer we don't hear a Nolan/B3 announcement in 2010, the less likely it is that the director will return."

We've heard so many rumours and counter-rumours about Batman 3 over the past year, so here's hoping BOF's source is true, and that 2010 brings some kind of official news about the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

the idea of announcing a potential announcement scares me. it's not like they'll know in advance that they'll have a good enough idea to want to make the third one... i smell an official "no" which i have mixed feelings about.

Gold Trumpet

Probability is that Nolan returns. He dropped out of a major project recently and all hearsay is that he did that because he needed the time to commit to a third Batman film. This pre-annoucement of an annoucement could be to get scheduling and logistics down on when filming and such will take place. Since Nolan's Batman has become an event, maybe the studios want to keep the public informed of every step forward. They also may want to do that for the simple reason that development of a third film has been slow and audiences are anxious.

Of course this is all speculation in the lowest confidence. 

Reinhold

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on November 18, 2009, 02:03:12 AM
Of course this is all speculation in the lowest confidence. 

marquee that.

do y'all think we'll see a warner brothers batman without Nolan any time soon?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Cinematographer Wally Pfister Talks About Shooting 'Batman 3' in 3-D
by Todd Gilchrist; Cinematical

On Friday, April 16, the Dallas Film Society presented their coveted Star Award to Wally Pfister for his accomplishments in the world of cinematography, which includes a longtime partnership with Christopher Nolan on such films as Memento, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight. Earlier in the day, Cinematical sat down with Pfister to discuss his career, during which time he offered a few insights about the future of the Batman movie franchise, including whether the film might succumb to being shot in 3-D.

Pfister is of a like mind with Nolan about the merits of 3-D (check back for a full interview soon, in which he details their mutual disinterest), which the duo declined to use for their upcoming film Inception. But the acclaimed, award-winning director of photography said that neither he nor Nolan has ruled out the possibility of shooting it using the format. "What Chris and I have talked about is doing something cool and something interesting," Pfister said. "[Director] Brad Bird was [saying] 'you've got to shoot the whole thing in IMAX!' I was like, yeah, I've talked to Chris about that."

Pfister acknowledged that the technology required to shoot Batman 3 in IMAX would likely be cumbersome, since he and Nolan used it for several sequences in The Dark Knight, but isn't sure that 3-D photography will even be an issue by the time they start shooting. "I did it for one shot of The Dark Knight because he said, you have to say you did it, and literally I had this strapped to my shoulder and I was carrying it. But I think Chris is game for doing something interesting like that, Lord knows that the 3-D fad might pass by the time that summer comes around."

Pfister also said that regardless in how many dimensions they end up shooting the Caped Crusader's exploits, he knows that some decisions have already been made about the film's photography. "But I know one thing about the film that Chris is adamant about is that he wants to shoot on film," Pfister said. "He doesn't want to shoot on video, and I'm the same way."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

How did this thread get the title of Caped crusader?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

'Batman 3' Nabs a Release Date
Source: Cinematical

Congrats, you Bat nuts finally have an actual day to obsess over for months and months. Warner Bros. has officially announced the release date of Christopher Nolan's third Batman film: July 20th, 2012. All signs have been pointing toward the third Bat installment arriving in 2012, and you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to guess Warners would stick the flick on the same weekend as its closest sibling (especially since it shattered records), but it's still nice to know for sure that we'll be getting a new Batman movie from Nolan on a specific date in the future. It's all set in stone -- we can change the pencil to pen, make the invitations and start looking for a florist and photographer. This deal is done.

Now comes the fun part: 1. Who are the villains? 2. Which actors and actresses are playing those villains? Who else will Nolan add to his delightful, ever-growing ensemble cast? Which actress will replace Maggie Gyllenhaal as the girl Bruce Wayne wants to sleep with? Will Christian Bale lessen the growl a little bit so we don't immediately make fun of him after the credits roll? Can anyone top Ledger? Will this new film forever live in the shadow of its predecessor no matter what they do? How do you make a follow up to one of greatest superhero films of all time?

Those questions -- and many more, I imagine -- will be answered one by one over the next several months.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Christopher Nolan on Batman and Superman
Source: ComingSoon

Empire magazine talked to Christopher Nolan, whose new film Inception opens July 16, and got some great quotes from the helmer on the next Batman movie, coming July 20, 2012, and next Superman movie, targeted for a holiday 2012 release.

It was recently revealed that he would take on a mentor (or "godfather") role for the Superman movie, but he's not that comfortable with that title. "It's much more specific than that," he explained, "What it is, while David Goyer and myself were putting together the story for another Batman film a few years ago - you know, thrashing out where we might move on from 'The Dark Knight' - we got stuck. We were just sitting there idly chatting and he said, ' By the way, I think I know how you approach Superman,' and he told me his take on it. I thought it was really tremendous. It was the first time I had been able to conceive of how you would address Superman in a modern context. I thought it was a very exciting idea."

Nolan said he took that idea and pitched it to Warner Bros., and the studio got excited, too. "But it's not something for me to direct," he added. "It's something we were just trying to put together a vision for, and then find the right person to take it forward."

What's important to Nolan is finding the core of what makes the character so indelible; he favors the back-to-basics approach. "What you have to remember with both Batman and Superman," he told the magazine, "is that what makes those the best superhero characters there are, the most beloved after all this time, is the essence of who those characters were when they were created and when they were first developed. And you can't ever move too far from that."

He still hasn't officially signed on to direct new Batman movie. "No I haven't. There is a point where you're just being precious about it and people get annoyed, but the God's honest truth is I work on one movie at a time. I'm only capable of doing that, so my head will continue to be firmly in ['Inception'] for another few months."

There are some things, though, that Nolan can confirm. "My brother is working on the screenplay. We came up with a story that we are very excited about. We particularly like where we are taking the characters and what the ending is... There are things for me to be very excited about in addressing the characters again. But ultimately it always comes down to the script, and can we make a great film from this? That's something I will firmly be turning my attention to figuring out fairly soon." It will be, he said, "the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story."

Empire asked whether the villain could be a returning (and recast) Joker. "No," said Nolan resisting to elaborate, "I just don't feel comfortable about it."

Nolan reiterated that you won't be seeing a Batman/Superman crossover in his movies. "Marvel are doing what they do and people will respond to that really well, or they won't," said Nolan. "It's not something I ever really applied a blanket rule to, but Marvel characters are very different to DC characters, and the key DC characters are very different to the minor DC characters. You've got to go back to that element of, 'What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Batman? What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Superman?' And for me a big part of that is their individuality. They are extraordinary beings in an ordinary world. And the reason I think the two are fascinating is because Superman is very specifically superpowered and obviously otherworldly; Batman is very human and flawed. They're two very different characters, but there's an elemental feeling of power in the iconography of those characters. To me that's originally because they stood alone. I need to hang on to that in my imagining of them."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Caine: 'Batman 3' to shoot in April
'Batman' star talks about start date
Source: Variety

Christopher Nolan plans to start shooting "Batman 3" for Warner Bros. in April, according to thesp Michael Caine.

The studio hasn't yet officially greenlighted the pic and wasn't immediately available for comment. Caine made the disclosure at Thursday night's London premiere of Nolan's "Inception" in response to a question about "Batman 3."

"I think they're going to do it in April, but that's about as much as I know," said Caine said, who portrays a professor in "Inception."

Caine portrayed Batman's butler, Alfred Pennyworth, in the last two Batpics. He also starred in Nolan's "The Prestige."

Warner Bros. announced in late April that "Batman 3" would open on July 20, 2012. The studio and Imax had jointly disclosed a few days earlier that week that the project -- the third "Batman" pic to be directed by Nolan -- was one of 20 Warner projects that would be released in an Imax format before the end of 2013.

David Goyer is working with Christopher Nolan's brother, Jonathan Nolan, on a script for the next Batman installment, based on an idea from Christopher Nolan.

Christopher Nolan and Goyer helped breathe new life into the Batman franchise in 2005 co-writing "Batman Begins," which went on to earn $352 million worldwide. The 2008 follow-up "The Dark Knight" was co-written by the Nolans with Goyer helping develop the story, earned $1 billion.

Skeleton FilmWorks

quigliest

New here. So thought i'd start with a little update.

Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3
Exclusive: Nolan says he's set to direct
Source: Exclusive

You may have guessed, you may have assumed it, but until now we hadn't had confirmation from the studio or the man himself that Christopher Nolan would be back to direct Batman 3 / The Dark Knight 2 (or whatever we're calling it). But our Dan Jolin talked to the man himself earlier today, and got it straight from Nolan himself.

"It's becoming inevitable, I'll put it that way," says Nolan. "I feel myself falling into it, I guess. And getting it all figured out and I'm pretty excited about what we're doing so... If I haven't announced it, I think that people probably all know at this point that I'm doing it."

Hang on, that's not 100% clear: so we can safely assume you're directing?

"I think you can at this point, yes."

So as of right now, Nolan will return. You may also have spotted the "getting it all figured out" there: when we asked Nolan what he was busy with as we called, the answer was that he's working on Jonathan Nolan's script for the film. In other words, there is a script! Things are slowly taking shape!

Express your excitement below, and permit yourself a moment's indulgence in wildly speculating about villains and themes this time around. Just a moment, though: we don't want to get carried away.

Helen O' Hara

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29062

MacGuffin

Morgan Freeman on Batman 3 villains: There may be more than one
Source: SfyFy

How can Batman 3 possibly top The Dark Knight? One of the deciding factors will surely be the choice of villain ... or should that be villains? Because as we all debate which bad guy director Christopher Nolan should choose, Morgan Freeman just hinted that Nolan may end up choosing more than one.

Freeman, who played Bruce Wayne's armorer and technical genius Lucius Fox in the previous films, has been talking up bringing back Catwoman, and when asked recently if Nolan was on board with that idea, he said:

"Well, yes and no. But I don't know if that's going to be his choice. There's been talk of the Riddler, talk of the Joker—I don't mean the Joker—the Penguin. Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin, and that sounds interesting to me. So we'll wait and see. And there just may be more than one."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

There has been more than 1 in both films, so that wouldn't be changing anything. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Tom Hardy Reunited With 'Inception' Helmer Chris Nolan On 'Batman'
Source: DeadlineNY

EXCLUSIVE: While Tom Hardy's plan to play Mad Max in the George Miller-directed Mad Max: Fury Road has hit another delay, the fast-rising Hardy's in the mix for another big film at Warner Bros. I'm told that Hardy has been set by his Inception director Chris Nolan for a lead role in the next Batman film at Warner Bros. Insiders are keeping the role secret and won't even say if he's up for a villain role, but that seems a reasonable assumption. Hardy has followed up Inception with lead roles in the Tomas Alfredson-directed  adaptation of the John Le Carre novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and he's currently starring with Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon in the McG-directed Fox comedy This Means War. CAA reps Hardy, who's expected to return to Fury Road when it goes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.