Gods and Generals

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 08:09:00 PM

bonanzataz

Budget: $90 million
Opening Weeked Gross: $4.8 million

Ouch. Very ouch.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Running Time: 4 hours.
Limits the number of showings.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

I don't care, they should have known that's the way it was going to happen. This is one movie that I have absolutely no interest in seeing. I know, I know...call me an un-american bastard, I have pride for my country...I have pride for what's happening now and in the future...not in the past.

Ghostboy

Hey, you don't have to have pride for the Confederacy, which is what this movie extols the virtues of.

I don't want to see it either, although I did manage to see the last hour or so of it. Pretty unspectacular.

I heard it the budget was just under 60 million, though (not counting advertising). Ted Turner will make it back on video when all the Civil War buffs buy the inevitable seven hour box set.

MacGuffin

I don't think you are in their demographic target audience anyway, ebeaman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Quote from: ebeaman69I know...call me an un-american bastard

Un-American bastard!  Actually, from what I've heard about it, sounds like this film was probably made for one person, Ted Turner (although civil war buffs might like the feeling of a long reenactment, not many other people will care).  

And yes, very ouch indeed!

sphinx

imdb lists the budget as $54 million for general product costs.  i assume you're looking on boxofficemojo, which lists the total expenses as $86 million.  i have no point,

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinI don't think you are in their demographic target audience anyway, ebeaman.

This is true...but then again, I wasn't necessarily in the demographic target audiences of 90% of my favorite films either (ie magnolia).  :?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: MacGuffinI don't think you are in their demographic target audience anyway, ebeaman.

This is true...but then again, I wasn't necessarily in the demographic target audiences of 90% of my favorite films either (ie magnolia).  :?

Who would you say was the target market?

Victor

Quote from: Duck Sauce

NY and LA people, based on the weak marketing campaign and release strategy. christ, it didnt even play that much in Jersey.

Green Mile, on the other hand...
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ernie

Quote from: Duck Sauce

People older than me...20+ at least, right?

You can't tell me PTA expected too many teenagers to see it, come on now. You guys are always saying "teenagers and there hormones...hahaha" or stuff like that, you know what I'm talking about. I was 15 when I saw it last year. I don't know a single person my age or younger that has seen it other than my sister (13), and I have asked a lot of people since I became obsessed with it. None of them have even heard of it. It's about cancer and frogs and it doesn't star Vin Diesel. I could almost hear the reactions of some of the kids at school....

"Yo man, that movie was boring as hell...there were no tits or ANYTHING!"

"I know, word dog...no explosions either."

"Fuck man...let's go watch The Fast and The Furious at my mom's house."

"Good idea dog......hey, do you think that seduce & destroy thing would really work on the bitches at school?"'

"Ha! Hell yeah son...I sure hope so...I gots to get me some pussy. Hey, before we watch The Fast and The Furious, let's beat up that Eric Semen kid!"

"Yeah!"

*cue and iris in on an awkward off-ghetto handshake*

Now, that is a realistic simulation of  a conversation between two WHITE, very very very, extremely SUBURBAN kids from MY school mind you...I'm not saying all teenagers are like that...I don't want to be a hypocrite.

Duck Sauce

Oh, I wasnt objecting, I was just wondering because I couldnt really place a target audience on it either. Also, you can say just because you dont know any kids that saw it that no other kids saw it (although probably true), its an inaccurate sample. I have never really thought of what PTAs target age group was and I guess I would have to say there isnt really one.

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceOh, I wasnt objecting, I was just wondering because I couldnt really place a target audience on it either. Also, you can say just because you dont know any kids that saw it that no other kids saw it (although probably true), its an inaccurate sample. I have never really thought of what PTAs target age group was and I guess I would have to say there isnt really one.

Oh, alright...I see what your saying. I misunderstood, I thought you were objecting.

Yeah, it's more than probable that there are some other young fans of Magnolia, there are just too few to call them a "target". Whether PTA intends to or not, he just doesn't make films that appeal to most younger people. I'm not most younger people of course...at least when it comes to film.

bonanzataz

Quote from: ebeaman69"Yo man, that movie was boring as hell...there were no tits or ANYTHING!"

Yes there were.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: ebeaman69"Yo man, that movie was boring as hell...there were no tits or ANYTHING!"

Yes there were.

Right, that real quick shot at the beginning w/ Claudia and the random bar guy, I forgot. They wouldn't have made it that far into the movie, they probably would have walked out by then. That's my excuse.