The Tiger Lillies

Started by hedwig, December 01, 2005, 09:30:02 PM

hedwig

WARNING: not for the squeamish

and now for something completely different..
"darkly humourous, Brechtian, gypsy cabaret"

a lyrical bit from the Tiger Lillies:
"Well I split the guts of babies so I could see what was inside
Well all those babies' guts came out those babies all did die
Then I stamped on little babies heads you could hear the cracking bones
Then I asked myself why no one loved me why am I alone"

and now for some context.. the song is from the album, "punch and judy," which is described on their website as such: "Punch, the archetypal English clown figure, is unscrupulous, anarchistic and malevolent in all that he does, wittily and jovially murdering anyone who gets in his way – whether it be his own wife, the policeman, the doctor, the hangman or even the devil.

Played once upon a time in the streets of Old England as a macabre and "undivine" comedy, the story is retold here in the form of a dark operetta: Punch's triumphant marriage to Judy, the birth of his child, his beautiful murders and his own magnificent death. It seems as if Punch has been waiting all this time for the Tiger Lillies to come along in order to perform his perfidy to perfection."

this is some far-out shit.

the tiger lillies are scary and brilliant and often hilarious and sick.

"... a startling mixture of opera, gypsy song and  left bank Paris, but what really marks out this band from any other is the emotional charge and raw passion of the delivery... their reputation is spreading very fast in the art culture underworld." - some journalist

the art culture underworld  :shock:

i've got "death and the bible" and "punch and judy," which i'm listening to right now.
the song "mummy loved me" has some terrifying lyrics, check it out:

I punched him in the face I know that wasn't nice
I trod on both his testicles I know that wasn't right
I slit his throat from ear to ear I know that wasn't good
If only mummy loved me I've been misunderstood

I gouged out both his eyes I know that that was rude
I urinated in his mouth I know that that was crude
I juggled with his eyeballs I know that wasn't good
If only mummy loved me I've been misunderstood

They sent me of to prison I slit the warders throat
As he bled all over me how I did gloat
The judge said I was more evil than anyone or thing
If only mummy loved me if she had not been mean

When I was in my swaddling clothes she'd drink and drink and drink
My Father could have been a hundred men who at me used to wink
If mummy hadn't been a drunk and been on the game
If only mummy loved me I might now be sane

the bizarre/beautiful style of singing reminds me of Tom Waits. in fact wikipedia groups them together under the entry for "Dark cabaret" music.

in 2003 their collaboration with the Kronos Quartet, "The Gorey End," was nominated for a Grammy. i must say i'm surprised these crazy fucks were ever nominated for a grammy.

"bleeding haaaaaaaaaaaaaaands of jesus, crucifiiiiiiiiied for me... hands that suffeeered tormet, paaaaaaaaaain and aaaaaagony...." - bleeding hands of jesus, "death and the bible" (very waits-ish song)

anyone know 'em? like 'em? hate 'em?

do you WANNA know 'em? if anyone's interested i'll let you steal the 2 albums i hav from me via soulseek, hit me up.

:crazyeyes: