77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

Sleepless

Nope, they BBC had the rights to it for the past 3 years, but now Sky have it, which I don't have. Which sucks. As if living in a student house wasn't bad enough...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Chris Rock Clarifies Oscars' Comment

Chris Rock wants to clarify what he meant when he said straight men don't watch the Oscars. "I did not say that. I said only gay people watch the Tonys," he joked Monday during an appearance on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."

But later he stuck to his guns. "I really don't know any straight men who aren't in show business that have ever watched the Oscars," he said.

The Emmy-winning comedian has taken some heat for an Entertainment Weekly interview in which he called the notion of giving awards for art "idiotic" and added: "what straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars?"

But he offered Leno some toned-down criticism of Oscar hype.

"The awards don't really affect anybody's lives in the crowd," Rock said. "Meanwhile, the Nobel Peace Prize, there's no one there. Nobody cares what the scientists are wearing. What are you wearing Professor Allen? 'Pants!'"

Rock, asked if he was rooting for anyone to win, said he would favor Don Cheadle, who is up for best actor for his role in "Hotel Rwanda."

"I like it if the award will affect the person's life," Rock said. "If he wins, he's gonna get better scripts, he's gonna work with better directors."

And he had some advice for acceptance speeches.

"Don't thank God," Rock said. "God's busy working on the tsunami, so leave him alone."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i've never really been a C Rock fan, but he has some good points there.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Dtm115300

Quick question. Do they give out on tv the award for best editing?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Dtm115300Quick question. Do they give out on tv the award for best editing?

They give out every award on TV.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: Dtm115300Quick question. Do they give out on tv the award for best editing?

Yes.

..as far as every award goes..

Some of them are given out earlier in the day from what I understand. They're not on national TV. For example, the technology awards and stuff like that is usually presented by one person and not part of the larger ceremony. That about right Mac?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Myxomatosis..as far as every award goes..

Some of them are given out earlier in the day from what I understand. They're not on national TV. For example, the technology awards and stuff like that is usually presented by one person and not part of the larger ceremony. That about right Mac?

I meant in terms of nominated catagories (see page 2). Those are all televised. The tech awards, which were handed out already, are given to advances in the industry in forms of camera, visual, etc. techniques, as below:

Makers of Cranes, Illusions Take Home First Oscars

PASADENA, Calif. (Reuters) - Actress Scarlett Johansson handed out the first Oscar statuettes of the 77th Annual Academy Awards to movie engineers on Saturday while gamely slogging though complex descriptions of inventions she admitted she did not quite comprehend.

Among those honored were the man who created "bluescreen" technology that allowed actors to be placed in locations they were nowhere near, and engineers who made camera cranes more mobile and improved wide-screen cinematography.

The Academy also honored the inventors of 11 other devices, including lights, audio systems, special effects makeup and animation software.

From the start of the black-tie gala in Pasadena, California, Johansson warned attendees about the perils of the jargon-laden script she was reading from a TelePrompTer.

"You need to stay alert in the first part of the evening or you'll be lost forever," she said. "The words are coming out of my mouth but I'm just not processing them."

"All you really need to know is it makes it sound better," Steven Boze later told her as he accepted an award for creating a device that removes unwanted noise from soundtracks.

The audience of mostly engineers and mathematicians seemed to startle Johansson at one point, by applauding during her lengthy description of motion-capture technology used in films like "Polar Express" and "I, Robot" to mimic human movements.

"Wow. It's a real crowd pleaser," she said.

UP AND COMING

Johansson, 20, won widespread notice for her breakout role in 2003's "Lost in Translation." She is one of a number of younger actresses the Academy has tapped in recent years to host the technical Oscars, including Jennifer Garner, Kate Hudson and Charlize Theron.

The night's big winners were the men who designed and built the Louma Camera Crane and Technocrane systems, which put cameras in places where their operators could not easily go, and helped capture complex action sequences.

Horst Burbulla developed the Technocrane telescoping crane and introduced it to Steven Spielberg, who first used it in the 1981 action-adventure film "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

The team of Jean-Marie Lavalou, Alain Masseron and David Samuelson developed the Louma Camera Crane system in 1978 to replace heavy and slow-moving fixed-length cranes that were used on movie sets to capture high-angle shots.

The Academy gave the Gordon E. Sawyer Award to Panavision engineer Takuo Miyagishima, who, in his nearly 50-year career, invented a series of camera lenses, including one that enhanced the cinematography of wide-screen formats.

Former Eastman Kodak engineer Arthur Widmer was honored for a lifetime of cinematic achievements, including his invention of "bluescreen" compositing technology that first combined actors on soundstages with pre-filmed backgrounds.

One of the first films to use the technique was "The Old Man and the Sea" starring Spencer Tracy in 1958.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Watched a pretty great show about stuntmen tonight on Dateline. I never knew that the Oscars don't have an award for stuntmen or stunt coordinators. These guys take an aweful lot of risks to make what we see on the big screen believable. With all of the accolades that different people receive for the filmmaking process (this year somebody won an award for Silicone material in makeup), I wonder why the Academy doesn't recognize what seems like an obvious award to give out. Heck, even if they gave out a "Stunt Coordinator of the Year" award, that would be something.

Only thing I can think of..

They used the Aviator as an example. What if the stunt double for Decaprio won an award? Would that somehow diminish Decaprio's work?

cine

Quote from: MyxomatosisI never knew that the Oscars don't have an award for stuntmen or stunt coordinators.
really? they've been not giving that award for 76 years..

Myxo

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: MyxomatosisI never knew that the Oscars don't have an award for stuntmen or stunt coordinators.
really? they've been not giving that award for 76 years..

Yeah..

I was really shocked to be honest. I thought maybe there was some kind of award they won apart from national televsion. You know how they have the short moments before a commercial where it says, "Earlier tonight, awards were given out for ___"

I expected all along that some kind of recognition was given to stunt people.

MacGuffin

List of those scheduled to appear:

Presenters
Drew Barrymore
Annette Bening
Halle Berry
Cate Blanchett
Orlando Bloom
Pierce Brosnan
Sean Combs
Penelope Cruz
Leonardo DiCaprio
Kirsten Dunst
Jake Gyllenhaal
Salma Hayek
Dustin Hoffman
Jeremy Irons
Samuel L. Jackson
Scarlett Johansson
Laura Linney
Mike Myers
Al Pacino
Gwyneth Paltrow
Sean Penn
Natalie Portman
Prince
Tim Robbins
Emmy Rossum
Adam Sandler
Martin Scorsese
Barbra Streisand
Charlize Theron
John Travolta
Robin Williams
Kate Winslet
Renée Zellweger
Ziyi Zhang

Performers
Antonio Banderas
Beyoncé
Counting Crows
Josh Groban
Carlos Santana

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Robin Williams should be good for some laughs..

With the exception of Santana, shitty performers.. Ugh..

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: MacGuffinList of those scheduled to appear:
Prince

Hmmm. Why? I mean, nothing against him, but why is he presenting an oscar?

Edit: Unless he's introducing Ray.

SHAFTR

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: MacGuffinList of those scheduled to appear:
Prince

Hmmm. Why? I mean, nothing against him, but why is he presenting an oscar?

Edit: Unless he's introducing Ray.

OHHHHH, I'm so excited.  Prince was a star in 3 movies (one of which won an Academy award), he's an actor.  Either way, it's a shame he's not performing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

ABC EXECS FORCE ROBIN WILLAMS TO CUT OSCAR SKIT
Sat Feb 26 2005 19:21:18 ET

A growing chill is in the air over Hollywood Saturday night after ABC executives forced Robin Williams to drop a comic song from the Oscars show!

Williams, the presenter of the Academy Award for best animated feature, decided last week that his one minute on stage would be a prime time to lampoon a conservative critic James C. Dobson, whose group Focus on the Family last month criticized the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants for appearing in a video about tolerance that the group called "pro-homosexual."

NEW YORK TIMES reporters Dave Halbfinger and Sharon Waxman are developing a story for late Sunday editions, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

Williams had hoped to joke using lisping character:

"Pinocchio's had his nose done! Sleeping Beauty is popping pills!

"The Three Little Pigs ain't kosher! Betty Boop works Beverly Hills!"

"Fred Flintstone is dyslexic, Jessica Rabbit is really a man, Olive Oyl is really anorexic, and Casper is in the Ku Klux Klan!"

MORE

Officials from ABC's broadcast standards and practices office were not pleased.

Williams explains: "For a while you get mad, then you get over it. They're afraid of saying Olive Oyl is anorexic. It tells you about the state of humor."