76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ©braddamn, how'd i miss that?

It must be your sinister mustache.

ono

Though I want Djimon Hounsou to win Best Supporting Actor, Baldwin has a good sense of humor about things, it seems.

Baldwin Declares Himself an Oscar Shoo-In
Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin insists he's guaranteed to win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar later this month, after conducting in-depth research on his rivals. Baldwin has been nominated for his efforts in The Cooler - and he's decided fellow category nominees Tim Robbins, Djimon Hounsou, Benicio Del Toro and Ken Watanabe don't stand a chance. He jokes, "I've done some research and I've looked into a few things. Number one is that we have Djimon Hounsou and Ken Watanabe - both wonderful actors, but there's actually a clause on the Academy voting regulations that you can get nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor if you're a foreign- born actor, but you can't actually win the award. So they're out! It gets better: I played a little game with Tim. I called him up and did the old 'I'll vote for you if you vote for me' thing - and he fell for it! And then the thing with Benicio was a little trickier, but we looked into some records and we found out that he didn't show up for four months of service in Texas in the National Guard. So he is questionable as Oscar material. I think I'm standing alone in the pile!"
~IMDb.com

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThough I want Djimon Hounsou to win Best Supporting Actor, Baldwin has a good sense of humor about things, it seems.

Baldwin Declares Himself an Oscar Shoo-In
Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin insists he's guaranteed to win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar later this month, after conducting in-depth research on his rivals. Baldwin has been nominated for his efforts in The Cooler - and he's decided fellow category nominees Tim Robbins, Djimon Hounsou, Benicio Del Toro and Ken Watanabe don't stand a chance. He jokes, "I've done some research and I've looked into a few things. Number one is that we have Djimon Hounsou and Ken Watanabe - both wonderful actors, but there's actually a clause on the Academy voting regulations that you can get nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor if you're a foreign- born actor, but you can't actually win the award. So they're out! It gets better: I played a little game with Tim. I called him up and did the old 'I'll vote for you if you vote for me' thing - and he fell for it! And then the thing with Benicio was a little trickier, but we looked into some records and we found out that he didn't show up for four months of service in Texas in the National Guard. So he is questionable as Oscar material. I think I'm standing alone in the pile!"
~IMDb.com

Hahaha! That's hilarious.

MacGuffin

Producer Joe Roth to Allow Stars 'Moments'

LOS ANGELES - You can't tell Clint Eastwood to shut up. When Hollywood hands out the Oscars, acceptance speeches are one of the few unpredictable things. So Joe Roth, the movie mogul enlisted to boost the telecast's sagging ratings - and who has never produced a minute of TV - will let his stars have their say during the Feb. 29 ceremony.

"Philosophically, my feeling is that these shows are about moments. They're about moments that you get lucky with," said the 55-year-old head of Revolution Studios. "Some of it is from the casting, some is getting lucky with awards, but most of it really is trying to make an atmosphere that allows the performers to feel comfortable and speak from the heart."

The producer spoke while sitting with Oscar director Louis J. Horvitz among the thousands of empty seats in the Kodak Theatre as workers delivered pieces of the shimmering Academy Awards set through a massive, sunlit door behind the stage.

Last year, Oscar producer Gil Cates delivered an ominous warning to nominees at a luncheon weeks before his telecast: "If you pull out a piece of paper and start to read a list of names, you're done."

So was his tension-filled broadcast, which took place amid the U.S. invasion of Iraq. It turned out to be the least-watched Oscar ceremony since Nielsen Media Research began keeping records in 1974.

This year, Roth addressed the nominees more casually at the luncheon, not trying to shame them into being clever or fun. He just asked everyone to think ahead - and to remember they'll be on television.

"Joe was very diplomatic," said Horvitz, who has directed the Oscars eight times. "I think the safety of the performer is great in Joe's hands. They're not worried about stepping out of line."

Roth added, "How am I going to say (no) to Clint Eastwood? Or Sean Penn? Not only are they adults, but they are the best in their field. So really, all you can ask them to do is to try to give some sense of how special it is."

An estimated 33.1 million people watched "Chicago" win best picture last year, down sharply from the 41.8 million who watched "A Beautiful Mind" win the top prize the previous year.

"There has been a down trend since 'Titanic' (in 1998), which was the last really big, up year," Roth said.

About 55.2 million viewers tuned in that time. "Titanic" was a blockbuster that many millions of people had seen - much like this year's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," which has a leading 11 nominations. That's the main advantage for Roth.

He's also aiming for the funnybone with the return of popular Oscar host Billy Crystal and presenters such as Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell and Jack Black.

Another change: Less musical numbers. "As a kid, I didn't really like those 15- or 20-minute musical numbers," Roth said. "When I saw ballet on the Oscars, I went out and got a sandwich."

Roth has a reputation as a "people person," expert at taming Hollywood's unwieldy egos and keeping stars happy.

He shepherded such hits as "The Sixth Sense," "Toy Story 2" and "Armageddon" while studio chief at Walt Disney Co. in the 1990s. Since founding Revolution Studios in 2000, he's had hits like "XXX," "Anger Management" and "Black Hawk Down" - plus misses like "Gigli" and "Hollywood Homicide."

Roth scored a major coup this year by persuading the notoriously prickly best-actor nominee Bill Murray to appear for an onstage presentation. All Roth had to do was make a number of unreturned phone calls, plan a last-minute trip for Murray to the south of France for a friend's wedding - and make a very rare promise.

"I asked him to do something specific on the show, which he's never done before, and he said, 'I don't know, I don't know, I don't know ...' and then, 'OK, on one condition.' I said, 'OK.'"

The condition: Roth can't order the orchestra to play Murray off the stage - no matter what he does.

"I said, 'Well, I won't play you off as long as you're interesting," Roth recalled. He predicted Murray will deviate from the script. "So expect the unexpected. We might be there until 4 in the morning if he starts telling Pebble Beach golf stories."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinRoth added, "How am I going to say (no) to Clint Eastwood? Or Sean Penn? Not only are they adults, but they are the best in their field. So really, all you can ask them to do is to try to give some sense of how special it is."
The poor guy is star struck.

©brad

what do you guys think about organizing an oscar poll? remember now, in doing this, you would be voting for what you think will win, not what you want to win.

i don't know though- maybe this will be too much, esp. in conjunction w/ our own xixax awards. in fact, now that i think about it, i don't think its a good idea.

ah fuck it.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ©bradwhat do you guys think about organizing an oscar poll? remember now, in doing this, you would be voting for what you think will win, not what you want to win.

i don't know though- maybe this will be too much, esp. in conjunction w/ our own xixax awards. in fact, now that i think about it, i don't think its a good idea.

ah fuck it.

Actually I think it's a good idea, but if it does happen it should just be made into its own thread.

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinProducer Joe Roth to Allow Stars 'Moments'

"I asked him to do something specific on the show, which he's never done before, and he said, 'I don't know, I don't know, I don't know ...' and then, 'OK, on one condition.' I said, 'OK.'"

The condition: Roth can't order the orchestra to play Murray off the stage - no matter what he does.

"I said, 'Well, I won't play you off as long as you're interesting," Roth recalled. He predicted Murray will deviate from the script. "So expect the unexpected. We might be there until 4 in the morning if he starts telling Pebble Beach golf stories."

So, I really wanna see whatever it is Bill's gonna do, but I don't wanna sit through the rest. Who wants to phone me when Bill's on?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SoNowThen

So, I really wanna see whatever it is Bill's gonna do, but I don't wanna sit through the rest. Who wants to phone me when Bill's on?
What is this even talking about? What sort of presentation?

SmellyBoobFungus

So was his tension-filled broadcast, which took place amid the U.S. invasion of Iraq. It turned out to be the least-watched Oscar ceremony since Nielsen Media Research began keeping records in 1974.

This year, Roth addressed the nominees more casually at the luncheon, not trying to shame them into being clever or fun. He just asked everyone to think ahead - and to remember they'll be on television.

An estimated 33.1 million people watched "Chicago" win best picture last year, down sharply from the 41.8 million who watched "A Beautiful Mind" win the top prize the previous year.

"There has been a down trend since 'Titanic' (in 1998), which was the last really big, up year," Roth said.

About 55.2 million viewers tuned in that time. "Titanic" was a blockbuster that many millions of people had seen - much like this year's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," which has a leading 11 nominations. That's the main advantage for Roth.

what's competing w/ the oscars this coming sunday?
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is the first film to win an Oscar in every category in which it was nominated!

Heh, I'm a nerd... but I like following these things.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: matt35mmThe Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is the first film to win an Oscar in every category in which it was nominated!

Heh, I'm a nerd... but I like following these things.

It's not the first ever.  It's just the first to do this many.

matt35mm

Oh right.  I should have been clearer.  It won 11, which is the most awards ever won by one movie, tied with Titanic and Ben Hur, but unlike those movies, this was the only one to win in every category in which it was nominated.  (I took that from Variety)