What are the rules on copyrighted music?

Started by Recce, February 24, 2004, 09:10:07 AM

Recce

I'm working on a documentary about this guy. Amongst other things, he plays the piano, and specializes in '20s era compositions. I'd like to use his music as the soundtrack for the overall piece. Do copyright laws apply if he plays it himself? I remember someone telling me that if it was composed more than 50 years ago, it wasn't copyrighted or something. Is that true? Pleases help, I need to submit a treatment by Friday.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Raikus

If you're wanting him to play music from the 20's you're not going to have a problem. If the copyright was established before 1978 then it is valid for 75 years from when it was copyrighted.

You cannot play someone elses composed piece if the copyright is still valid without their or their family's permission. So anything composed before 1929 is open to your movie. Note that 75 years is the maximum allowed before it goes into public domain. If a copyright is not renewed then later works may be availabe (including those works made up to 1978).

Hope that helps.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Recce

Thanks a bunch. It will go a long way to be able to use the music he plays to create a portrait of him. Thanks again.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")