Napoleon Dynamite

Started by picolas, April 15, 2004, 12:52:45 AM

Stefen

Saw this this morning, it was fun, and a good way to kill time. It reminded me alot of Bottle Rocket and Wes Anderson in general, even the shots were framed like a Wes Anderson film. Pedro was my favorite but he was stereotypical and that kind or irked me but it was fun. I liked how Napoleon was basically a dork always getting picked on but never that that bother him, he just kept on keeping on like he was the baddest mofo in the world.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI saw it and didn't laugh very often.  The idiosyncricies of the characters were the entire movie.  They started, carried and ended it.  If you don't find the people's quirks funny, though, there isn't much for the movie to fall back on.

I admit some oneliners were funny, but really they were overplayed jokes.  It seemed to drag on for a while, as well.

I tried to watch it with a clear mind, since my friend talked it up way too much.  So I can say I enjoyed the film enough to just watch it, but the next Bottle Rocket?  I don't think so.

The highlights in the film were shortlived, and the the slow parts were stretched out.

Saw it today and I agree.  Weirdness and quirkiness in and of themselves do not make a funny movie.  I laughed a few times sporadically, and there were no gut-busting hilarious scenes in it.  Everything about the film was forced, as if the filmmakers were saying, "Hey!  We're quirky and dorky and geeky and weird and 'indie!'  Like us!  We're hip!"

Ghostboy

All my friends love this movie so much. I feel like the lonely outsider.

analogzombie

Quote from: GhostboyAll my friends love this movie so much. I feel like the lonely outsider.

it's not their fault. they just don't know any better.

taken at face value the film is acidically funny. if I wasn't aware of Wes Anderson or Todd Solondz I might have enjoyed it at face value, but I couldn't remove this film from those it so desperately seems to want to be.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

UncleJoey

Quote from: analogzombieit's not their fault. they just don't know any better.

There's nothing wrong with liking this movie - I certainly did (and yes, I'm well aware of Wes Anderson and Todd Solondz). I can understand not enjoying the film, but looking down on other people for liking it seems silly.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

ono

Quote from: GhostboyIt's pretty good, and possibly the kind of movie I call great in a couple years when I go to see it a midnight screening with a bunch of friends.
Quote from: GhostboyAll my friends love this movie so much. I feel like the lonely outsider.
:?:

Ghostboy

Clearly, a couple of years hasn't gone by yet.

I did enjoy it (thus the 'pretty good' rating), but I know people who LOVE it and quote it all the time and think it's downright brilliant.

ono

So it's safe to call it one of those movies "assholes" love.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyI know people who LOVE it and quote it all the time and think it's downright brilliant.
Me too, unfortunately. "Tina, come get some ham!"

SHAFTR

Quote from: UncleJoey

There's nothing wrong with liking this movie - I certainly did (and yes, I'm well aware of Wes Anderson and Todd Solondz). I can understand not enjoying the film, but looking down on other people for liking it seems silly.

This movie will likely crack my top 10, or atleast come close.  I think the Solondz comparisions are silly, the Wes Anderson ones are only because of the style.  Sure, the film looks like an Anderson film, but that aesthetic fits the content, so I don't see the problem.

The first time I saw this, I didn't love it.  I rewatched it and than I loved it.  The same thing happened to me with The Big Lebowski.

People are quoting this film because it's funny.  I don't think it's a film that assholes love, I think Will Ferrell films and Dodgeball are much more fitting.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

artfag

I have to say that I was delighted to see a comedy that doesn't take itself more seriously than it's subject matter.  At no point, was there an attempt to make me feel something for any of the characters.  There was no sappy cliche or one liner that cracked me up.  The subject alone was laughable and an attempt to make me laugh would have never been necessary because it is just funny without attempt.

Myxo

Ravi

I couldn't stand how the film was just catchphrases, and that it was obviously meant to be that, as if Jarod Hess had no ambition other than to make a merely quotable movie.

analogzombie

Quote from: UncleJoey

It's more of a 'being baffled by people I know that love this film and hate Wes Anderson and Todd Solondz than it is looking down on them" While watching it I just had the feeling that it's the first in a long line of films that will be sniping at the world of greater talents. Ex: Napoleon Dynamite is to Bottle Rocket as King Arthur is to Lord of the Rings.

as far as 'assholes loving it" i will say that when I went to get Shaun of the Dead last night there were a couple of chubby rednecks waiting for Napoleon Dynamite, standing around quoting lines from the film and talking about how awesome National Treasure is.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Ravi

Quote from: analogzombie
as far as 'assholes loving it" i will say that when I went to get Shaun of the Dead last night there were a couple of chubby rednecks waiting for Napoleon Dynamite, standing around quoting lines from the film and talking about how awesome National Treasure is.

When I saw ND there were some asshole teenage girls quoting lines from the film.