hyperbolic comparisons to CMBB: the official compendium

Started by Pubrick, October 29, 2007, 12:09:47 PM

Pubrick

the first

Quote from: soixante on September 28, 2007, 02:38:00 AM
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Marjorie Baumgarten

Anderson's film is a true American saga - one that rivals "Giant" and "Citizen Kane" in our popular lore as origin stories about how we came to be the people we are.

ON CITIZEN KANE AND THEN SOME

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 28, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
Source: Scott Weinberg; Cinematical

The film will most often be compared to Orson Welles' Citizen Kane, so I guess I can get the ball rolling on that particular crutch -- but it's also an apt comparison.
Quote from: MacGuffin on September 28, 2007, 11:57:28 PM
Source: Harry Knowles, AICN

It is a film at the highest possible quality – comparable to many of my favorite films of all time. Movies about monsters on quests like CITIZEN KANE, TREASURE OF SIERRE MADRE, GONE WITH THE WIND, GIANT, OLDBOY, THE GODFATHER and TAXI DRIVER.

ON DANIEL DAY LEWIS

Quote from: pozer on September 30, 2007, 06:08:46 PM
source: harry knowles, AICN

he's given a role that every great actor waits patiently for. Like Bogart and Dobbs. Like Brando and The Godfather. Like DeNiro with Raging Bull.

This is not just the best performance of the year to date, but one of the great performance period.

AS A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE

Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on October 12, 2007, 12:08:43 AM
source: hollywood elsewhere

Blood is two hours and 45 minutes of cinematic heroin.
Quote from: MacGuffin on September 29, 2007, 02:14:19 PM

Sissy Spacek joined them soon after and, says Hickenlooper, "kept telling me how it was one of the most extraordinary films she had ever seen...she seemed completely blown away by it."
Quote from: pozer on September 30, 2007, 06:43:31 PM
source: someone at aint it cool

I never thought I'd meet him, much less in Austin. It was a highlight of my life and of the fest.

ON PTA AS KUBRICK

Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on October 12, 2007, 12:08:43 AM

as strong as anything that John Huston or Stanley Kubrick ever made.
Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on September 28, 2007, 01:13:21 PM
Source: Matt Dentler; indieWIRE

There are flourishes of Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick, and Robert Altman
Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on October 20, 2007, 09:38:39 AM
source: Amazon

critics have likened it to the brilliantly austere work of such revered directors as Stanley Kubrick and Terence Malick.

ON JONNY GREENWOOD / THE SCORE

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 28, 2007, 07:03:46 PM
source: John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter

The soundtrack is dominated by wilding clouds of strings that bestow on petroleum the mysterious power of Stanley Kubrick's famous obelisk.
Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on October 20, 2007, 09:38:39 AM
source: Amazon

hold its own next to the classic work of such composers as Bernard Herrman, Elmer Bernstein and Ennio Morricone.

IN SUMMARY

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 05, 2007, 10:47:03 PM
Contenders attempt to stifle the hype
Pete Hammond, The Envelope

Comparisons to "Citizen Kane," possibly the most influential film ever made, were thrown about with abandon.

highest recurring hyperbole
the movie/pta: welles/kane, kubrick, malick, huston (by way of sierra madre), giant.
DDL: bogart, welles.
greenwood: morricone.

Quote from: Stefen on October 13, 2007, 12:52:26 AM
PTA: Still not overrated.

under the paving stones.

Stefen

This is probably the only flick that I haven't built up only so I can tear it down. I am geniunely hoping all the hyperbole is warranted.

Everything so far just makes it feel like it will be one of those great films like the ones it's being compared to. I applaud PTA for at least trying something new instead of staying confined to the same ensemble and same quirky style like another hack who shares his last name.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

thanks for the reply. 

turns out i wasn't the only one with this idea yesterday, cigs and rv reports:

there is debate happening over at the ol' tan, black and red. the citizen kane comparisons are today's subject of discussion. i haven't had a chance to read every word of this just yet, but my quick skim seemed like there are some spoilers throughout.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 02, 2007, 12:10:40 AM
Source: InContention.com

"There Will Be Blood" is a horrific work of mastery that I don't imagine any other filmmaker would have ever been capable of accomplishing. Take Stanley Kubrick, breed him with Terrence Malick and wallow the result in the world of Robert Altman's "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" and you might come close. You might.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

i think it's hilarious when ppl make grand statements in general, like "this is the worst thing i've ever written".

that interbreeding of directors, that's just crazy dumb.

this way at least ppl will hav to be more creative when they praise it.. in three days.  :yabbse-sad:

under the paving stones.