Started by ShanghaiOrange, March 28, 2003, 04:21:34 PM

ShanghaiOrange

I haven't seen the 1984 version (I hear it's ok) but it occurs to me that Kurbick could probably have done a great film out of the book. It's theme (the stifling of the human spirit) seem to be in the same vein as his other work.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Sleuth

I never thought of the connection, but you're absolutely right about Kubrik.  If only
I like to hug dogs

Duck Sauce

I am not a fan of 1984 the book, but still feel that Kubrick could have done something really cool with it. Just as long as it is creepy.

Ghostboy

Have any of you seen the British film version of 1984? Its pretty good...very true to the novel, in almost every aspect. I guess you could even say its Kubrickian -- although I think the ending wouldn't have jived with Kubrick, unless he did it as a black comedy -- which is territory Gilliam already covered.

As far as Orwell goes, 1984 is very good but I'm more of an Animal Farm fan, and as far as dystopic future literature goes, I like Brave New World a teensy bit more.

budgie

Quote from: GhostboyHave any of you seen the British film version of 1984?

Yes, I remember seeing it in the cinema, and a couple of times after, and I've always enjoyed it. I have a feeling that its strength is in John Hurt and Richard Burton, though, and I think it must probably look pretty tame now cause even at the time it wasn't incredibly powerful.

I read a few things where people were reflecting on the book lately and I felt that while everyone was discussing whether we'd fulfilled Orwell's predictions in the year itself, it's really only now that it's starting to come truly true, as it were. I think 1984 was probably the beginning. So maybe it's time for a remake, and I'd love to see Fincher do it actually. I guess other things are covering the ground, though - Minority Report, and that thing with... um, can't remember... about emotions being banned.

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieI guess other things are covering the ground, though - Minority Report, and that thing with... um, can't remember... about emotions being banned.

Are you thinking about "Equilibrium" with Christian Bale?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

That was a pretty cool movie.  Not great, but good.
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

That's funny because when I read 1984 I was visualizing everything as Kubrick would have done it. Not intentionally, that's just how it showed up in my head. The interrogation scene (4=5) felt a lot like the (I guess you would call it the) brainwash sequence of Clockwork Orange. Which I feel like watching right now.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

Yes, and imagine how powerful he could make the part where the woman (sorry, it's been a long time since I've read it.   Winston's love interest) throws aside her celibacyy sash thing.
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

oh yes, no doubt about it kubrick would have made a very good film with this. but after "brazil," i think it wouldnt of been such a necessary film to make. after all, you must consider that if kubrick had done "1984," one of his present films would not have been made.

ShanghaiOrange

"Brazil" is my favorite movie ever. :(

Bonanzataz - Me too. When I first read it I thought it was very Kubrickian.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Duck Sauce

Quote from: tremoloslothYes, and imagine how powerful he could make the part where the woman (sorry, it's been a long time since I've read it.   Winston's love interest) throws aside her celibacyy sash thing.

Julia. And can you imagine how fucking rad the sex scenes would have been!?

Sleuth

Quote from: cecil b. dementedoh yes, no doubt about it kubrick would have made a very good film with this. but after "brazil," i think it wouldnt of been such a necessary film to make. after all, you must consider that if kubrick had done "1984," one of his present films would not have been made.

I would trade A Clockwork Orange for 1984
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Quote from: tremoloslothI would trade A Clockwork Orange for 1984

thats because youre crazy

Duck Sauce

Quote from: tremolosloth
I would trade A Clockwork Orange for 1984

Thats doublethinking