Best Decades of Music

Started by E-Snizz, December 14, 2003, 06:27:45 PM

E-Snizz

Personally, I think it goes as follows:

1) 60s - Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc
2) 50s - Oldies, Motown
3) 80s - New Wave, massive amounts of Pop
4) 70s - The Clash, Elvis Costello, more Zeppelin & Stones, disco, other shizzle
5) 90s - more shitty pop and other stuff

Kal

Gamblour.

The 90's produced some of the best music and some of the worst music ever.
The 80's produced some of the best pop and some plain horrendous shit.
The 70's, I can't complain, except for maybe the Moog.
The 60's were pretty good, I think they win.
WWPTAD?

nix

60s - best Beatles, Hendrix, Zep I, best Stones, great Who and on and on.

70s - best Floyd, best Zep, some good Beatles, best Who, The Ramones, The Clash and on and on.

80s - lots of meorable pop and New Wave. Birth of Gangsta rap. Lots and Lots of crap too.

90s - tons of gret music, tons of utter crap.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Vile5

Quote from: Gamblor du JourThe 90's produced some of the best music and some of the worst music ever.
The 80's produced some of the best pop and some plain horrendous shit.
The 70's, I can't complain, except for maybe the Moog.
The 60's were pretty good, I think they win.
quite agree!!!!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

myadopteddaughter

60's
70's
80's
and the 90's, but just the good stuff
mmm, mmmm good

SHAFTR

it's the same in either decade...some good, some bad, some in the middle.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

jtm

...60's-early 70's rocked...Hendrix, The Stones, Zepplin, The Who, The Doors, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and so on.

.. then it sucked for a long time.

...then in late 80's-90's it started rocking again....Soundgarden, GNR, Metallica, Megadeth, , Nirvana, Alice and Chains, Pantara and so on.

...now it sucks again.

2020's will rock

Pas

Each decade has it's own good stuff, but I think the '60s has less bad stuff

godardian

Sixties- Spector, Motown, Kinks/Who/Stones, Velvet Underground.

Seventies- T. Rex, Bowie, Roxy Music, New York Dolls, Sparks, punk, early new wave.

My favorite band, The Smiths, were from the eighties, but they were an extreme exception- they truly stepped out of time to be doing what they did in the eighties.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

umm... what about, like the good old Beethoven days??

I don't know any decent music history, so I'll just go with:

late 60's - early 70's
(as mentioned, Stones, Who, Floyd, Zep, Neil Young, Nick Drake, America, Bowie, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, etc)

EDIT: ooh, I just though, what about 50's for the jazz alone...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenumm... what about, like the good old Beethoven days??
you must mean the 60's?

Thecowgoooesmooo

Quotemid-30s to late 40s.

And what music do you listen to from the 30's and 40's!? Ha hahah

60's hands down. The greatest band of all time ruled the 60's.

chris

Pubrick

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooAnd what music do you listen to from the 30's and 40's!? Ha hahah
obviously i was joking in reference to no one mentioning those decades.

anyway, i listen to billie holiday, duke ellington, louis armstrong and a whole bunch of blues records.
under the paving stones.