Adaptation

Started by Jake_82, January 08, 2003, 05:30:40 PM

xerxes

Quote from: RegularKarate

The more you say things like that, the more I think you can't form your own opinion.

ahem...

...this post, however, is to say that i love your avatar. much better than arnold.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIt really is a great performance, and I love how she played it like a drama.

Nicole Kidman better be really good in The Hours. Meryl Streep deserves everything she can get for this ... I should really see the movie again...

Isnt Meryl Streep a supporting actress though?

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: cbrad4dStreep wasted? Hogwash! She was fantastic, her best performance in a while.

big, sweaty SPOIILER

The "we have to kill him" scene was one of the most memorable moments in any movie last year.

Yes yes yes. Dial tone scene was rad.

In reference to Gold T, you shouldn't let a review (bad one at that) sway your opinion of a film that much after already seeing it and forming your own conclusions.

Gold Trumpet

I don't think it is a bad review myself, but I haven't really changed my opinion because I do think it is a great movie. I understand though what the reviewer is saying and I agree with him because is mainly saying that through out the film, the meanings of the movie is obvious and it does nothing to really go beyond anything that is of deeper narrative. For most of the movie, I agree that the movie plays itself out in an obvious fashion, but thing is, so does 8 1/2. The thing that it doesn't do, like 8 1/2, is conform all the movie to the obvious and finds deeper threads that cannot be explained or answered through riddles. So, that is where I disagree with the reviewer. But a funny thing about this critic, is that a lot of people really don't know who he is, but he is likely the best critic in America today and maybe ever, even if not agreed upon by the people who read him. He's the critic Roger Ebert looks up to. The thing is, I don't agree with this guy a lot, but he always a reasonable side opinion to an argument of a film that makes you look beyond the normal criticisms. I think thats what makes him that valuable.

~rougerum

Travis Bickle

RegularKarate

There is no such thing as "the best critic" that's just stupid.

There can be critics that you agree with the most or seem to sell out the least, but "the best critic in America"?  No.  No such thing.

Travis Bickle

Gold Trumpet

You're right RK, and given the abstract nature of trying to ask such a question, I think all questions to the best film director or actor should seriously be looked down upon. But really, my opinion. Not yours.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

RegularKarate

Yeah... I remember looking that up the minute I heard that he was using two screenwriting names, but what I hadn't ever seen was that person that wanted to start a Donald Kaufman fan club.

Duck Sauce

Is he going to continue to write movies using both names perhaps?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck SauceIs he going to continue to write movies using both names perhaps?

SPOILER

Donald is dead.

sphinx

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI thought this was funny.

i have reliable information that the first post in this thread was made by someone from the main adaptation crew.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Duck SauceIs he going to continue to write movies using both names perhaps?

SPOILER

Donald is dead.

Or is he?

sphinx

no, he's definetly dead.  donald would probably write himself back from the dead if he could, though