Adaptation

Started by Jake_82, January 08, 2003, 05:30:40 PM

Jake_82

Anyone else seen it yet? I thought it was amazing, but I'm still having some difficulty trying to figure out what the message of the film was... anyone have any thoughts?
your reality is at the end of your dream

Satcho9

not sure about the message either. But i loved the irony about it. The movie becomes exactly what he doesnt want it to become when he injects himself into it.

bonanzataz

What I want to know is why the hell doesn't it have a wide release yet. Is Columbia purposely trying to hide their best pictures so the world can't see them?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Dirk

Quote from: bonanzatazWhat I want to know is why the hell doesn't it have a wide release yet. Is Columbia purposely trying to hide their best pictures so the world can't see them?

I think it goes wide this Friday.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

xerxes

i loved it... most fun i've had at the movies all year. and hello to anyone who might care that i'm here... good stuff mike.

sphinx

great, great stuff.  you could watch the movie over and over again trying to pinpoint where the switch happens...

Jake_82

Quote from: sphinxgreat, great stuff.  you could watch the movie over and over again trying to pinpoint where the switch happens...

I'd say it's right after he shows the script to Donald
your reality is at the end of your dream

sphinx

yeah, that's what i initially thought.  but then i pondered to myself that donald seems like a person that donald himself would create, so donald helped rewrite the entire screenplay while putting himself in it at the same time.  there are a number of things scattered throughout the movie to suggest a multi-personality dealy going on with charlie kaufman, not to suggest that the events in the story are actually involving only one person, but it would be very ironic, especially considering that donald wrote a screenplay very similar to that.  the point is that donald could be both a separate and identical entity.

Jeremy Blackman

Greeeaaat movie. Sphinx, I'm not sure what to think about your theories... I was pretty dumbfounded while watching the movie (This could be the next Mulholland Drive thread.)... but I am wondering what the real Susan Orlean thinks about how her "character" turned out in the end.

Duck Sauce

This was my favorite movie of the year, sadly edging out PDL. I think the switch happened when he read the script and found the rest of the movie completley hilarious. The car crashes were so real. My favorite part is when Susan goes "then I will have to kill him"

MacGuffin

Quote from: JeremyBlackmanI am wondering what the real Susan Orlean thinks about how her "character" turned out in the end.

How did you like her performance?
SUSAN ORLEAN: Oh, it's fabulous. I love it, I really love it. I've seen the movie three times. The first time it was hard for me, I was just nervous watching and then it was too weird to kind of experience it. Then the second time I was able to begin seeing the movie. I saw it last night for the third time and I thought, "This is great. This is great." Some of my favorite moments are tiny, tiny actor-ly moments of hers that are so brilliant. So I really enjoyed it [and] I think it's terrific. I also think it's absolutely authentic, you believe her as a writer. I think it can be really hard for actors to play people in a job in movies, a lot of times you don't believe millionaires that they would ever do that job. I thought she was great.

Rest of the interview:
http://romanticmovies.about.com/library/weekly/aaadaptationintc.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

Quote from: Duck SauceThis was my favorite movie of the year, sadly edging out PDL. I think the switch happened when he read the script and found the rest of the movie completley hilarious. The car crashes were so real. My favorite part is when Susan goes "then I will have to kill him"
the first car crash looked very real, however the second was very action movie-ish (with donald shooting through the window and whatnot). there, i believe, is evidence of the change.

©brad

Hate this limited release shit. Dying to see this one and it won't come here, one of the many things that sucks about living in South Carolina.

This is what messed up PDL...

RegularKarate

Not that this positive opinion needs any more weighing down, but I loved it too.

I love the name of Donald's script "The Three"... that's just awesome.

GodDamnImDaMan

Nice little info from God Damn Im Da Man you might want to know...... Any trailer that has a fat sweaty nic cage doing pelvic thrusts to a queen song is okay with me!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz