A Scanner Darkly

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2004, 04:19:44 AM

cowboykurtis

these stills are underwhelming
...your excuses are your own...

modage

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I hated Waking Life, but this looks fucking KICKASS.
me too!  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: picolaswho wouldn't be interested in seeing this?

Ha ha!

Ok, let's get serious for a second...

matt35mm

This is the only movie I can think of that will actually look like a moving comic book.  Unless I'm forgetting a movie that looks like pages of a comic book coming to life, this may be a first.  It looks great to me.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: matt35mmThis is the only movie I can think of that will actually look like a moving comic book.  It looks great to me.

scanner darkly isn't a comic book, thus this technique seems like a novelty act to me

matt35mm

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: matt35mmThis is the only movie I can think of that will actually look like a moving comic book.  It looks great to me.

scanner darkly isn't a comic book, thus this technique seems like a novelty act to me
I don't see the need for it to originate from a comic book to have the movie look like a comic book.  And I don't see it as a novelty act, but rather a stylistic choice that will enhance the movie.  There are certain things that work best in animation, and this looks like it'll have those things.

As a Waking Life fan, I'd say that the decision to rotoscope the movie wasn't a novelty thing at all.  That movie wouldn't really work in live action and especially on DV.  The animation is part of what makes it all work (for me, anyway).  So I think that Linklater is going to take advantage of the things that one can only do in animation.  I trust the mofo.

Sleuth

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: The Silver BulletI wonder if there's any particular reasoning behind its being animated?
hav u read the book?

there are parts in it which would benefit from the freedom animation allows. the suit/mask that the dude wears that distorts his image and voice would hav to be CGI'd anyway if it were live action. not to mention the transcendent moments, the weird morphing moments, other spoilerful things too.

i'm really liking link's approach.
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Sleuth
Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: The Silver BulletI wonder if there's any particular reasoning behind its being animated?
hav u read the book?

there are parts in it which would benefit from the freedom animation allows. the suit/mask that the dude wears that distorts his image and voice would hav to be CGI'd anyway if it were live action. not to mention the transcendent moments, the weird morphing moments, other spoilerful things too.

i'm really liking link's approach.

i think parts will, but to do the whole film animated/rotoscoped is a shame in my book

RegularKarate

why?

I think you just like to be grumpy sometimes.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKaratewhy?

I think you just like to be grumpy sometimes.

sometimes?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ultrahip

downey looks great. he better still have that line from the kaufman script,  "hey bob, want some dog shit? to chew on?"

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

damn, when did ifilm get all bogged down with ads and corporatized? I havent been there for awhile, but it sucks now. I wont even watch that trailer, ill just wait for mac to post a link to a standalone quicktime version, fuck ifilm and fuck my beliefs.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

it looks fucking awesome...i saw the trailer at constantine.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?