Oscar Buzz

Started by ©brad, February 20, 2003, 10:29:15 AM

MacGuffin

Scorsese cool over awards buzz

Martin Scorsese is being very cool about his Oscar and BAFTA nominations for Best Director.

The legendary filmmaker says he doesn't deserve to be considered the best - and can't understand why people are so enthusiastic about his 'Gangs Of New York' epic:

"People say 'oh Marty, this is an extraordinary work' and that sort of thing. And I say 'you haven't seen as many films as I have'. I know where the levels are, I know where they are man. I'm just doing the best I can and working in my own area. But when I gauge myself against, in my mind, people who are on a level, there's no way I can come near that."

He has said that he would like to make another musical, especially now that 'Chicago' has done so well:

"Oh I'd love to do a musical at some point, yeah. The musical I tried 'New York, New York', was more of a drama with music. And it was sort of an evolution I thought of the musical genre. But it just didn't go over that way, it wasn't well received. And I did everything I could there. But there might be another way, another kind of musical. I love music in film."

The BAFTAs take place in London on Sunday and Martin will be there alongside Daniel Day Lewis, Nicholas Cage, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta Jones.

The Oscars are handed out next month in Hollywood.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

So nice to see modesty in a filmmaker. But no I really think he believes that, I don't know, maybe he's right. I still hope he wins.

Quote from: MacGuffinScorsese cool over awards buzz

Martin Scorsese is being very cool about his Oscar and BAFTA nominations for Best Director.

The legendary filmmaker says he doesn't deserve to be considered the best - and can't understand why people are so enthusiastic about his 'Gangs Of New York' epic:

"People say 'oh Marty, this is an extraordinary work' and that sort of thing. And I say 'you haven't seen as many films as I have'. I know where the levels are, I know where they are man. I'm just doing the best I can and working in my own area. But when I gauge myself against, in my mind, people who are on a level, there's no way I can come near that."

He has said that he would like to make another musical, especially now that 'Chicago' has done so well:

"Oh I'd love to do a musical at some point, yeah. The musical I tried 'New York, New York', was more of a drama with music. And it was sort of an evolution I thought of the musical genre. But it just didn't go over that way, it wasn't well received. And I did everything I could there. But there might be another way, another kind of musical. I love music in film."

The BAFTAs take place in London on Sunday and Martin will be there alongside Daniel Day Lewis, Nicholas Cage, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta Jones.

The Oscars are handed out next month in Hollywood.

Gold Trumpet

I think for an accomplished director, it is more of an honor to have never won best director than to do so. The club of who never won is much more prestiguous than those who have.

~rougerum

Dirk

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think for an accomplished director, it is more of an honor to have never won best director than to do so. The club of who never won is much more prestiguous than those who have.

At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

9th ANNUAL SCREEN ACTORS GUILD

For Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Daniel Day-Lewis / GANGS OF NEW YORK

For Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Renée Zellweger / CHICAGO

For Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Christopher Walken / CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

For Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Catherine Zeta-Jones / CHICAGO

For Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Theatrical Motion Picture

CHICAGO
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

dufresne

it'll definitley be an interesting night come oscar time.

Rob Marshall won the DGA award while Scorsese is considered the fav.
Renee Zelwegger won the SAG award while Kidman is the fav.
Daniel Day Lewis won the SAG while Nicholson is the fav.
and The Hours and Bowling for Columbine won for best writing at the WGA awards...

should be interesting.
There are shadows in life, baby.