Christie Projectors

Started by Xixax, November 27, 2003, 09:15:08 AM

Xixax

Last night, I went to my first film in a long, long time. Took the boy to a late night showing of School of Rock. I love you, Mike White.

So before the movie, instead of them showing the crappy slideshow that they usually show, they showed what was basically a long commercial called "The Twenty". 20 minutes before showtime, they start running it. It's you usual "Access Hollywood" kind of behind the scenes featurette sort of deal. It's a thinly veiled commercial, really. Do you guys have these in your theaters? This was a Regal cinema.

Here's what I immediately noticed about this thing. The projection on it was absolutely BRILLIANT. The colors were amazingly vivid, there were no scratches in the print, and even the frame rate looked different. Then, it dawned on me that it had to be digital. I sat in awe, just taking in the beauty of the sugary spooge. It was beautiful.

So beautiful, that I was actually disappointed when the celluloid came back.

There was a tiny announcement at the end of The Twenty that said it was brought to me on "Christie Projectors".

Who knows more about these things? Is this the future of film? I'm guessing it's a slow rollout of a forthcoming digital-download of feature films. Man, I'm all over that. It looked great.

A quick google search showed me this so I guess I answered my own question here. This theater also had the lobby system they show on that site. I can only hope that this method of delivery for features is on its way.

Is this the DLP format that Lucas released Episode 1 on?

It's about time for a technology change.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

aclockworkjj

Quote from: XIXAXIs this the future of film?
I don't think it will necessarly get rid of shooting film...but as far as veiwing it, in a theater setting...i am convinced it's gonna become a standard.  Maybe sooner than expected.  Here is kinda a cool article i stummbled apon.  

I am glad to hear it looked good though.  Are the screens the same?  I know with video projectors it looks better against a silver beaded screen...

Ghostboy

That's cool that Regal has upgraded to such a high quality digital projector. Most theater chains are now using digital projectors to run that preshow ad crap because if it's actually attached to the movie, it's infringing on people's rights and all. At my 9-5, we recently put in some digital projectors for that very reason, and even at  15g a pop, they still don't look too great. Those Christie ones will run into the high five figures, and are basically designed to replace film...I don't think they're there yet, completely, but it's still a damn fine presentation. And if they're showing something that originated digitally, like a Star Wars or Pixar movie, then they beat film far and away.

modage

yeah i'm pretty sure regal, (who just bought what? united artists maybe?) are the first to kind of test-drive this whole pre-show commecials thing.  but if it goes well, which i'm sure it is, other theatres will be soon to follow.  as much as i hate the idea of the ads, i much prefer the 20 to when actual commercials would start AFTER the lights went down before the previews.  like, if its 8:00 and the movie is supposed to be starting at 8, i better be watching a goddamn preview for a film and not a car or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: themodernage02i better be watching a goddamn preview for a film and not a car or something.
I know what you mean...it even pissed me off when they used to run these stupid tv commercials before films.  wtf?  here, they used to (maybe still do) run these LA Times segments...for instance one was showing what goes into making a realistic looking 3-D modeled dog.  That stuff is cool...and is advertising.  But i don't need to see an Ad for Sam's Hot Car Lot before a film.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02yeah i'm pretty sure regal, (who just bought what? united artists maybe?)

Regal owns United Artists and Edwards Theaters.

I don't mind The Twenty. At least it's something better to pass the time rather than AMC's slide show of guessing which Coca-Cola bottle will win the race (or I'll usually take a book). But you do notice the clarity of the digital prejection on those Christie screens. I've also noticed after The Twenty ends, there is a long pause before the trailers start. Are they changing projectors, or what's going on?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

That would most likely be the projectionist not making it over to the 35mm projector in time to hit the start button on it. A very frequent occurence.

Xixax

Quote from: MacGuffinI've also noticed after The Twenty ends, there is a long pause before the trailers start. Are they changing projectors, or what's going on?
The regal we're in has big picture windows inthe projection booth instead of the little peepholes that a lot of theaters have, so during the switch, I looked up into the booth and saw the guy fiddling around, although I'm not sure if he was moving projectors or just starting the traditional one.

It would seem like a decent idea to save some $cratch to buy fewer projectors than you had theaters for, and then rotate them around as needed.

It did give me some ideas for a Xixfest though, because I'll bet money you can feed those things with component video from a DVD player!  8)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ghostboy

Quote from: XIXAX

It did give me some ideas for a Xixfest though, because I'll bet money you can feed those things with component video from a DVD player!  8)

It's as simple as plugging in a cable.

RegularKarate

Christie is just a brand name.  It's not a special kind of projector.

The theater I work at projected on Christies.  

I've seen digital projection and really didn't like it.  too flat and "digital looking" for me.  No warmth.  I'm sure that would be great for access hollywood or watching a football game, but until it advances further, I really hope we stick with film... perhaps the 48fps technology can get started.