The Hateful Eight

Started by Fernando, November 27, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Lottery

Well, the thing's floating around the web now.

Brando

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Lottery

164 pages, dated 12/12/2013. Pretty recent.

Reel

I guess that's why he threw a hissy fit, because it got out in no time? He needs to talk to the Breaking Bad people about how they protect their scripts. Part of me thinks he wanted this to happen to see how popular his published work could be. It just seems a little too convenient that this was announced and denounced in the span of like two weeks.

mogwai

Didn't the script to "The Master" leak when PTA was prepping it with Universal? I'm not interested in what PTA thought of it but did he do a rewrite? Maybe QT should do that as well.

socketlevel

hey only added to the master. i get the impression it was a draft or two later that he shot and didn't concern himself with people reading whatever leaked at any given point. nobody should write based on what people have seen or not seen, just tell the best story possible imo.

interestingly, i read the master and django at the same time, a year before they came out. why didn't tarantino go up in arms about the django leak? oh well, you never know with this guy, he's always making claims to stuff and then doing the opposite. wouldn't be surprised when he chills out, he goes ahead and makes the film anyway.
the one last hit that spent you...

alright, finished it in like an hour. ready for spoiler laden discussion when you guys are

ElPandaRoyal

I don't think his problem is that the script leaked, it's more about like it leaking when he only gave it to a handful of people. I suppose he's trying to say something about trust in the business or something. I would even go as far as to say he was doing something great by not going ahead with the project, if we were talking about someone other than Tarantino, who just loves this kind of thing. But complaining about that while at the same time admiting that he's willing to work with the same people who supposedly did this to him is just weird.
Si

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Taking Gawker To Court After Subversive Website Invites Readers To Download His 'Hateful Eight' Script
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

BREAKING: Quentin Tarantino is taking Gawker Media to court after the snarky website brazenly posted a link to The Hateful Eight, the first draft screenplay whose leak prompted Tarantino to say he would shelve the film. Tarantino has filed a formal legal complaint this morning in U.S. District Court, Central District Of California Western Division (read it here). The legal complaint charges Gawker with copyright infringement and contributory copyright infringement. Tarantino's case will be led by hard-nosed litigator Martin Singer.

Here is the crux of the legal complaint obtained by Deadline: "Gawker Media has made a business of predatory journalism, violating people's right to make a buck. This time they've gone too far. Rather than merely publishing a news story reporting that Plaintiff's screenplay may have been circulating in Hollywood without his permission, Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally. Their headline boasts, 'Here is the leaked Quentin Tarantino Hateful Eight Script' — here, not someplace else, but 'here' on the Gawker website. The article then contains multiple direct links for downloading the entire screenplay through a conveniently anonymous URL by simply clicking button-links on the Gawker page, and brazenly encourages Gawker visitors to read the screenplay illegally with an invitation to 'enjoy' it. There was nothing newsworthy or journalistic about Gawker Media facilitating and encouraging the public's violation of Plaintiff's copyright in the screenplay, and its conduct will not shield Gawker Media from liability for their unlawful activity."

The complaint alleges that Gawker declined to take down the post, or the URL that encouraged readers to download Tarantino's screenplay.

This development happened after Tarantino told Deadline Hollywood exclusively that he was so frustrated to learn that someone among a handful of people to whom he gave the first draft script, leaked it. He had planned to write another project, and direct the two movies back to back. Instead, he said he would publish his Hateful Eight script, an ensemble Western, and revisit its movie prospects several years down the road. He said he will make that other project next.

In the legal complaint filed by his attorney, Tarantino maintains that Gawker solicited its readers to provide a copy of the script. Shortly after, the post in question appeared with an invitation to its readers to help themselves to the screenplay. I've not heard of a lawsuit quite like this one, but in this day and age when digital theft of copyrighted intellectual property is rampant, it will be an interesting scrape to follow, particularly if this becomes a full blown lawsuit. I'll have more, soon.

In 2012, Gawker was asked by Lena Dunham's attorney to take down a post that published Dunham's 66-page book proposal that sold to Random House for $3.5 million. The site did so "on the recommendation from Gawker's legal department."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino's Shelved 'Hateful Eight' Script To Get Live Reading In LA
BY Deadline

Quentin Tarantino is still bringing The Hateful Eight to his fans — even though the Oscar winner put aside making the movie for the time being after the Oscar winner's latest script leaked online. Film Independent said today that Tarantino is set to direct and cast a live on-stage reading of the Western-themed script on April 24 in LA. None of the performers have been named, but the event is set for 8 PM at the LA County Museum of Art. Given Hateful Eight's high-profile status thanks to the leak and Tarantino's angry reaction to it, this is a real coup for Film Independent, the org that has curated the live script-reading program for the past few years. "We are thrilled that Quentin will be holding the world premiere staged reading of his script of The Hateful Eight with Film Independent at LACMA," said Film Independent president Josh Welsh in announcing the news today. "We offer unique cinematic experiences to the people of Los Angeles, and this event is going to deliver just that." 

On January 27, Tarantino launched a $1 million copyright lawsuit against Gawker after the site posted a story about the leaked script with a link to the script itself. Now a select few will get to hear and see it in addition to those that read it online. No spoilers here, but the Hateful Eight story focuses on a stagecoach and its passengers stranded during a blizzard. This being Tarantino, the group includes a couple of bounty hunters, a Confederate soldier and a female prisoner in a secluded saloon. Even at $200 a pop with a limit of two tickets each for members of Film Independent, the LACMA Film Club and the NYT Film Club and everyone else, there's no doubt tickets for this one will be gone faster than a shot of whiskey in the Old West. Tickets for members go on sale Wednesday, while the general public, students and LACMA members can buy them April 16. All proceeds go to the good cause of helping out Film Independent's programming efforts at LACMA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

was all excited and everything but that's not the academy and tickets are $200. i'll read about this

MacGuffin

Inside Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Reading: Director Reveals He's Writing Second Draft, With New Ending
Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Bruce Dern, and others do a rollicking read of the leaked script in LA, featuring many N-words, forced oral sex, and an ending that supposedly will never be repeated.
Source: THR

Quentin Tarantino told a standing-room-only crowd gathered for a staged reading of his latest film script, The Hateful Eight, that this was the one and only time they would see it with the current ending, in which all of the movie's major characters die.

Speaking to an eclectic crowd that included only a handful of prominent industry-ites (among them Harvey Weinstein and Tarantino's WME agent, Mike Simpson), he said the movie was divided into five parts, or "chapters," and that "I am working right now on a second draft. This is the first draft."

He said Chapter 5 (which he titled "Black Night, White Hell") would be removed or rewritten altogether. That move may have been spurred by the script being leaked, and a subsequent lawsuit Tarantino has filed against Gawker for disseminating it online.

The audience members assembled April 19 at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles -- many of whom had paid up to $200 apiece for tickets, with revenues benefiting Film Independent -- were rapturous as film critic Elvis Mitchell introduced Tarantino shortly after 8 pm, Pacific Time. Dressed in a red-trimmed black shirt and black cowboy hat, the writer-director in turn introduced nine cast members, among them two of his most beloved stars -- Samuel L. Jackson and Tim Roth -- along with Kurt Russell, Amber Tamblyn and Bruce Dern, among others.

With Tarantino reading stage directions from a podium, the actors (who also included Walton Goggins, James Parks, Michael Madsen and James Remar) began to read the entire, three-hour-plus screenplay, a Western set somewhere between eight and 12 years after the Civil War, which begins with Russell as a bounty hunter chained to his prey, Tamblyn, inside a stage coach as they travel toward a destination where he will collect a $10,000 reward for her.

The stagecoach is stopped by an African-American Civil War veteran (Jackson), who mysteriously appears with a saddle but no horse; they are then joined by another mystery man who claims to be going into town as its new sheriff, before all eventually take refuge from a blizzard in a "haberdashery" where almost all of the remaining story unfolds -- that is, four of the five chapters take place almost entirely within one room.

What follows is a combination of Western and Agatha Christie-style whodunnit, as various men and women engage in conversation and shootings in the haberdashery -- not least Dern, who plays a Civil War general whose son appears to have been killed by Jackson.

In one of the many moments when the audience roared its approval, Jackson explains in exquisite and excruciating detail how he forced the general's son to perform oral sex on him before killing him.

Much of the later part of the story hinges on a coffee pot that has been filled with poison by one of the people in the room, and by Jackson's attempt to discover who did it. Along the way, Tarantino uses flashbacks, and then more flashbacks, to reveal backstory -- along with scenes in equal parts comic and violent.

The script is laced with both the "f" word and the "n" word, and Tarantino turned to the audience when the "n" word was used for the first time, joking that this was just the first of more than 200 such uses in the screenplay (a wild exaggeration, as it happened).

More than once, he became slightly impatient with his cast, on one occasion reprimanding one who was slow to get on stage, and on another telling his actors: "Guys are starting to drift a little away from the dialog. Bring it back to the page. No co-writing." The reading was as revealing of Tarantino the director as it was Tarantino the writer.

The scene that drew the most laughter followed the poisoning, as one character after another retched gruesomely and bloodily onto the others before dying. But it is the shoot-out at the end and the deaths of all the characters that are likely to inspire the most talk, as this is the part Tarantino says he will change -- just how, he didn't reveal.

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

macguffin thank you for this easter gift

shoulda sold my [something] and gone. sounds funnn

crazy how instantly ripe the new dtown ace hotel has gone. under the skin's city premiere was also a massive hit and at ace. other cities have ace, maybe yours, it's very hipster central. this one has a historical theater i've only seen empty and dark, but i bet they make it pretty

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: jenkins<3 on April 20, 2014, 11:18:12 AM
macguffin thank you for this easter gift

shoulda sold my [something] and gone. sounds funnn

crazy how instantly ripe the new dtown ace hotel has gone. under the skin's city premiere was also a massive hit and at ace. other cities have ace, maybe yours, it's very hipster central. this one has a historical theater i've only seen empty and dark, but i bet they make it pretty

?
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

jenkins

easter gift = the article

funnn = the event's description

ace hotel = like 4 months new place where the event was held, in los angeles where there are double-digit theater possibilities

scroll up = helpful for this. lemme know