The Hateful Eight

Started by Fernando, November 27, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Underwhelmed. Either this is a bottle movie, or they're fiercely avoiding spoilers, or they still can't make a proper trailer.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 05, 2015, 12:46:22 PM
Underwhelmed. Either this is a bottle movie, or they're fiercely avoiding spoilers, or they still can't make a proper trailer.

It's a bottle movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

glad that's settled, can't wait to see it

wilder

jenkins

excited because i haven't seen a roadshow since Steven Soderbergh's Red One-shot Che in 2009

jenkins

description of vinyl release from Third Man Records:

Double 180 gram LP. Tri-fold reversible jacket with soft-touch finish. Includes 60" x 12" poster, 36" x 12" poster, and a 12-page booklet insert with stills from the movie.

Side A
1. L' Ultima Diligenza di Red Rock (versione integrale) by Ennio Morricone
2. Overture by Ennio Morricone
3. "Major Warren Meet Daisy Domergue" by Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, and Jennifer Jason Leigh
Written by Quentin Tarantino
4. Narratore Letterario by Ennio Morricone
5. Apple Blossom by The White Stripes
6. "Frontier Justice" by Tim Roth and Kurt Russell
7. L'Ultima Diligenza di Red Rock #2 by Ennio Morricone

Side B
8. Neve (versione integrale) by Ennio Morricone
9. "This Here Is Daisy Domergue" by Kurt Russell and Michael Madsen
10. Sei Cavalli by Ennio Morricone
11. Raggi di Sole Sulla Montagna by Ennio Morricone
12. "Son of the Bloody Nigger Killer of Baton Rouge" by Walton Goggins, Bruce Dern, and Samuel L. Jackson

Side C
13. Jim Jones at Botany Bay by Jennifer Jason Leigh featuring Kurt Russell
Quentin Tarantino
14. Neve #2 by Ennio Morricone
15. "Uncle Charlie's Stew" by Samuel L. Jackson, Demian Bichir, and Walton Goggins
16. I Quattro Passeggeri by Ennio Morricone
17. La Musica Prima del Massacro by Ennio Morricone
18. L'Inferno Bianco (synth) by Ennio Morricone
19. The Suggestive Oswaldo Mobray by Tim Roth, Walton Goggins, and Kurt Russell

Side D
20. Now You're All Alone by David Hess
21. Sangue e Neve by Ennio Morricone
22. L'Inferno Bianco (ottoni) by Ennio Morricone
23. Neve #3 by Ennio Morricone
24. Daisy's Speech by Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Michael Madsen
25. La Lettera di Lincoln (strumentale) by Ennio Morricone
26. La Lettera di Lincoln (con dialogo) by Ennio Morricone and Walton Goggins
Letter Written by Samuel L Jackson
27. There Won't Be Many Coming Home by Roy Orbison
28. La Puntura Della Morte by Ennio Morricone

http://thirdmanstore.com/the-hateful-eight-soundtrack-double-lp

jenkins

^think that's a solid post.

today there's a catty article on Playlist about "Projection Problems Plague 70mm L.A. Press Screening Of Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight'"

i'm a digital person and of course i can spot what's catty here:

QuoteThere has been much spilled ink about the efforts by Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson, and others to save film stock and when they can, project on film as well. But the hurdle will always be convincing audiences they are truly getting a noticeably different and presumably better experience than seeing something digitally. There's still a couple of weeks to go, but let's hope for the sake of "The Hateful Eight" and the investment made to bring back a long dormant format, that audiences will be getting some special, without any issues, or the big comeback of 70mm may be over before it ever really starts.

i'll just lol. sorry you had a rough first world day playlist.

wilder

Robyn

Robyn

its hilarious how quickly they made that sandler movie.

Jeremy Blackman

The Playlist has a review.

A highlight, spoiler-free if you've seen the trailers:

Review: 'The Hateful Eight' Proves Quentin Tarantino Can Get Away With Anything
The filmmaker's latest outlandish ensemble drama is an uncompromising epic that's pure Tarantino.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-the-hateful-eight-proves-quentin-tarantino-can-get-away-with-anything-20151215

Welcome back to Planet Quentin, a self-contained universe of cinematic pastiche, outrageous dialogue, cartoonish violence and labyrinthine storytelling that plows ahead while veering off on tangents every which way. These vibrant ingredients have been the touchstones of Tarantino's oeuvre for nearly 25 years, but "The Hateful Eight" unleashes them in a wild, unvarnished stream of possibilities. This is not a filmmaker whose work tends to show signs of compromise, but the unwieldy excesses of "The Hateful Eight" proves he can get away with anything.

While "The Hateful Eight" meanders, it never drags. Tarantino has ostensibly constructed a slow-burn whodunit sped up by the vivacity of his characters. Interlocking agendas collide when a pair of bounty hunters show up at a cabin in the midst of a snowstorm, where their fellow stranded travelers form a suspicious bunch. Everyone's a suspect, but nobody's entirely innocent. During the aforementioned first hour, the filmmaker gradually establishes the Wyoming-set world of post-Civil War attitudes, and it's no surprise to find that they aren't pretty.

Robyn

this comment made me laugh:

QuoteFrom the trailer - at least, cause this is just a perception, since haven't seen the movie yet and honestly i am not sure I will eventually - it looks like more than a homage (especially with those great 70mm Panavision visuals) of Robert Altman's masterpiece "McCabe & Mrs.Miller" minus all the incredible insightful character's development, the stunning lirycal story telling, and, profound affecting disillusionment, so rich of texture and classic political undertones and romantic idealism so characterizing Altman's unforgettable epic, highly personal vision, social commentary and ground breaking filmmaking .

wtf is wrong with people.