The Hateful Eight

Started by Fernando, November 27, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Fernando

Quentin Tarantino Says He's Doing A Western Next, But It's Not A 'Django Unchained' Sequel

Quentin Tarantino was a guest on The Tonight Show last night, and while discussing the strange intricacies of his creative process, he offered Jay Leno a little insight into his next movie project. With the success of Django Unchained, Tarantino is going to stick with the Western genre, but this next movie will be nothing like Django, except that it will probably feature a lot of famous actors in strangely goofy roles.

"I can't talk that much about it, but I will say one thing – I haven't told anyone about this publicly, but I will say the genre. It's a western. It's not a Django sequel, but it's another Western. I had so much fun doing Django and I love westerns so much, that after I taught myself how to make one, it's like 'OK, now let me make another one now that I know what I'm doing.'"

Kellen

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino's New Movie Sets Title, Begins Casting
The director hopes to begin shooting this summer, according to insiders.
Source: THR

Quentin Tarantino is gearing up for another ride in the saddle.

For his first movie since 2012's Django Unchained, the director is going back to the Western genre with a script called The Hateful Eight, which he hopes to direct this summer, according to sources. (Another source said there is no timetable at this stage.)

The title suggests Tarantino could be upping the ante, playing off the title of John Sturges' 1960 film The Magnificent Seven, which in turn was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 Seven Samurai.

No one has been cast yet, but Tarantino has reached out to veteran casting director Victoria Thomas, who worked on Django, to work with him on casting the movie, say several insiders. A part has been written for Christoph Waltz, who starred in Tarantino's Django and Inglourious Basterds.

Pilar Savone, who served as a producer on Django and acted as an associate producer on Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and Death Proof after being his assistant, is producing Hateful Eight.

It's unclear who is financing and who will distribute, although the Weinstein Co. is the most likely candidate to be involved in both capacities, due to its long-standing relationship with the filmmaker.

In November, Tarantino revealed that he was working on a new script and that it would be a Western. But he didn't reveal a title or suggest a timetable for making it. Tarantino has in the past mentioned projects he was working on but ended up shelving them. Basterds famously took a decade to hit the screen as he worked and reworked the script.

"I had so much fun doing Django, and I love westerns so much that after I taught myself how to make one, it's like 'OK! Let me make another one now that I know what I'm doing,'" Tarantino told Jay Leno in November when he appeared on The Tonight Show.

Tarantino has long loved the Western genre and in the post-Pulp Fiction era in the mid-to-late 1990s tried to adapt Elmore Leonard's 40 Lashes Less One, about two prisoners, an Apache and a black soldier, who must hunt down five outlaws to earn their freedom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Alexandro

that's a tremendously great title, if nothing else.

Robyn

I hope that ennio morricone isn't busy this time.

please, quentin, make it happen.

Kal

Eli Roth said on Twitter that this is not Quentin's next movie... Hmm...

jenkins

Kal

I think he deleted it. Actually now that I think of it, he didn't say that wasn't the title. He said that the plot everyone was debating wasn't correct.

ono

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/quentin-tarantino-hateful-eight-leak-novel/

Apparently the script leaked and so Q is taking his ball and going home.  Wat.

jenkins

Reel

Didn't Django leak early too? a ton of shit in that draft didn't make it in. I had a lot of fun reading that. The only drawback was knowing the exact moment *spoiler* candie dies *end spoiler*. This is too bad, but I have to say Westerns are not my favorite genre, and I'd hate to see QT get bogged down in one thing. Ready for something out of left field and amazing like Jackie Brown.

admin edit: spoiler warning

Drenk

"I've got 10 more where that came from." Does he mean the same movie with different titles? It doesn't really count. Anyway, dit it really leak or is he doing his drama queen?
Ascension.

Reel

I don't think it leaked to the public or I'd be doing that now instead of this

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Script: He Wanted 70mm, and Other Details of the Bloody Western
TheWrap obtained a copy of Tarantino's script that's making its way around Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino had planned to shoot his next movie, a tense, contained and very bloody Western centered on bounty hunters and titled "The Hateful Eight," using 70-millimeter stock, a rare and expensive high-definition film, according to a copy of the script obtained by TheWrap.

The movie opens on a sprawling Wyoming vista, and Tarantino sets the scene: "A breathtaking 70MM filmed (as is the whole movie) snow covered mountain range." But the story quickly shifts indoors, and stays there — in fact, the script reads more like a tense stage play than a sweeping Western film.

Tarantino has angrily scrapped plans to make the movie because the script leaked, and Hollywood assistants are now promulgating a link anyone can use to download a PDF of the script that will no doubt end up online in the coming days. Tarantino accused agents for one of the three actors he had met with for parts — Bruce Dern, Tim Roth and Michael Madsen — though he seemed to suspect it was Dern's team at CAA.

CAA denied it was the culprit, and the WME-repped Tarantino said he would still happily work with Dern. Interesting side-note: Tarantino said he was scrapping the project, for now, after Harvey Weinstein said he would be more mindful of the violence in his films.

The script is an ensemble Western with obvious parts for Madsen and Dern, as well as Tarantino stalwarts like Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz. Jackson and Madsen would likely both play bounty hunters returning human plunder to a town called Red Rock in exchange for hefty rewards. Their characters, a former major in the Union army and a man named John Ruth, dominate the first two of the script's five chapters.

They run into a Southerner named Chris Mannix on the road, and three of them, along with their driver — a living prisoner and three dead bounties strapped to the roof — arrive at a haberdashery to take shelter from an oncoming blizzard. Yet the proprietors, Minnie, Sweet Dave and her other colleagues, are nowhere to be found. In their place are four men, a Southern general (likely Dern), an alleged hangman, a Frenchman named Bob and a cowboy named Joe Gage.

Mistrust, coffee and violence ensue.

We won't say where it goes from there, but Tarantino makes frequent references to it being shot in 70-milimeter, a format recently used by Paul Thomas Anderson in "The Master." The choice makes a great deal of sense for a sprawling Western, a genre Tarantino was going to revisit after the success of his most recent film (and his first western), "Django Unchained."

Yet this one is set almost entirely in two settings – a stagecoach and the haberdashery. That is a much smaller canvas than Taratino usually works on, but the bloody, sharply written, typo-filled script is vintage Quentin. There's a little Russian roulette, some vomit and frequent duplicity.

The five chapters are "Last Stage to Red Rock," "Son of A Gun," "Minnie's," 'The Four Pasggengers" and "Black night, White Hell." Here's an image of the one section Tarantino crossed out, so as not to ruin anything. Oswaldo is the hangman and Domergue a prisoner.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks