Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

modage

Quote from: ewardahh what a gratifying experience it is to watch that film.
you mean grating (sp) ?  :saywhat:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: ewardweekend is brilliant and repeated viewings only yield more of its treasure.  except that one section with the two political speeches.  that's boring.  but i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a joke.  so whatever.

haha and weekend should NOT be anyone's first experience with Godard.

that's odd 'cause when i saw it i though that part of the movie was one of the most impressive. I doubt very much that he was joking about that, remember that he did a film concerning the arab/israeli conflict "Ici et Ailleurs".
context, context, context.

Alethia

yes, but if you actually listen to the two speeches you may think differently...like really go back and listen to them word for word...and also, theyre placement and execution i think were supposed to be kinda funny...

and mod, what'd u ask, if i accidentally said gratifying instead of grating?  gee, i dunno, lemme check....nope, nope, i meant gratifying.  there is so much greatness and beauty in that film that i couldn't have possibly meant anything less than gratifying.  :-D

Alethia

http://rialtopictures.com/masculine.html

fun little thing.  and god dammit, the two closest theaters playing this near me are about three hours away.  all the theaters around me suck.

SiliasRuby

I just saw Contempt. Brilliant Film, but it took a lot out of me emotionally. I don't think I could watch it over and over again. So, I don't think I'll buy it. But, yes, I recommend seeing it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Quote from: SiliasRubyI just saw Contempt. Brilliant Film, but it took a lot out of me emotionally. I don't think I could watch it over and over again. So, I don't think I'll buy it.
Contempt's images have been in my brain ever since I watched it. It has come to my attention that this film has had a huge impact on me, and that I must get it, so that is what I have to do. I have yet to see Breathless, alphaville, My life to live, A woman is a woman, and weekend. So, I have changed my mind and I am going to get Contempt.

My Collection

tpfkabi

when i saw Contempt, i had never seen anything quite like that before. i was lucky to be able to see it at a college's theater. i thought it was pretty weird but the images stayed with me. i want to say it wasn't too long after that that Criterion released their DVD of it. i think i appreciate it more each time i see it.  it definitely led me to seek out more Godard and French New Wave, and for that i'm grateful.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

Just finished Breathless. Fantastic film. I think I'm becoming hooked on Godard.

My Collection

Alethia

actively seek out his later shit - passion, numero deux, forever mozart, hail mary specifically....most of his very best work came from this period, i think, his early stuff that i would rank with them (specifically passion and numero deux) are vivre sa vie, pierrot le fou and weekend...probably bande a parte too.  those are his best, in my eyes.  prenom carmen is good, too.  and every man for himself (often titled slow motion).  some of the shits hard to get but well worth it.

Ultrahip

I realized about a week or two ago that I'd never seen any Godard, so I ordered Breathless, Band of Outsiders, and A Woman is A Woman on a whim. Let me say, this was the best whim to follow I've ever had. These three films are some of the best I've ever seen, A Woman is A Woman being the favorite. Talk about influences on Punch-Drunk Love. Those long takes in the apartment plus the blues and reds, not to mention the use of music, even better done here than by PTA, of course it is often implemented for much different purposes. How it comments on cinema itself, like all these works is astounding. The energy and seeming spontanaeity of Godard is intoxicating and damn near makes me giddy. This realisateur should really have his own forum in the directors category, I mean, if Kubrick does and he's dead, Godard should be set in stone as the foundation of all things pretty and significant in movies.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: UltrahipI realized about a week or two ago that I'd never seen any Godard, so I ordered Breathless, Band of Outsiders, and A Woman is A Woman on a whim. Let me say, this was the best whim to follow I've ever had. These three films are some of the best I've ever seen, A Woman is A Woman being the favorite. Talk about influences on Punch-Drunk Love. Those long takes in the apartment plus the blues and reds, not to mention the use of music, even better done here than by PTA, of course it is often implemented for much different purposes. How it comments on cinema itself, like all these works is astounding. The energy and seeming spontanaeity of Godard is intoxicating and damn near makes me giddy.
:yabbse-thumbup:
Couldn't agree more.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cowboykurtis

yea swap him for that fat head cameron crowe forum. got nothing against him, he just has a fat head.
...your excuses are your own...

Fernando

Quote from: UltrahipThis realisateur should really have his own forum in the directors category, I mean, if Kubrick does and he's dead, Godard should be set in stone as the foundation of all things pretty and significant in movies.

I won't debate who's better or who deserves his own forum, but I can tell you that just by numbers the Kubrick forum has justified its existence, while Godard only has a thread with 12 pages, and a few others of what I searched, so, I'm positive that asking for a forum it's really pointless.

Now, I'm sure he has amazing films (I've only seen Alphaville) and yes he is regarded as one of the greats but a single thread with 12 pages and a few others doesn't seem enough for creating him a forum (IMO).

So far this is the best thread to discuss his films, and maybe your reviews and what not might pick interest in some ppl to look for his films.

tpfkabi

Quote from: UltrahipI realized about a week or two ago that I'd never seen any Godard, so I ordered Breathless, Band of Outsiders, and A Woman is A Woman on a whim. Let me say, this was the best whim to follow I've ever had. These three films are some of the best I've ever seen, A Woman is A Woman being the favorite. Talk about influences on Punch-Drunk Love. Those long takes in the apartment plus the blues and reds, not to mention the use of music, even better done here than by PTA, of course it is often implemented for much different purposes. How it comments on cinema itself, like all these works is astounding. The energy and seeming spontanaeity of Godard is intoxicating and damn near makes me giddy. This realisateur should really have his own forum in the directors category, I mean, if Kubrick does and he's dead, Godard should be set in stone as the foundation of all things pretty and significant in movies.

have you seen any Truffaut? it has been speculated here that Shoot the Piano Player may have been an influence on PDL.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Quote from: Ultrahiprealisateur

context, context, context.